forming a Jedi Ministry?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 2 months ago #21500 by
forming a Jedi Ministry? was created by
So...I'm a Jedi, my wife is a Pagan. As a favor to our theatre director, we joined the church of which he is also the pastor (1st United Methodist). It has become a spiritual home for us and we are now active members (she's the choir director, and I'm taking over the visitation ministry), and as members, we are able to help him get some of his more 'non-traditional' ideas (such as approval for future shows) approved by the board.
This can be challenging, as most of this congregation is elderly, and while many support the pastor and his style, many also prefer a more traditional style and worship and ministry.
My question: even before we joined, I had ideas of forming a local Jedi church. I would still like to do this, and am considering proposing it to the board as a sort of 'outreach' program thru the UM church.
My concern is being able to sell the idea to the more traditional-minded members (particularly those in charge of finances).
Anyone have any ideas?
*bows*

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 2 months ago #21502 by
Replied by on topic Re:forming a Jedi Ministry?
Well, first i would say you might want to let your theater director know what you want to do so he doesn't feel like you are trying to upstage him or what ever. And for that matter if he is okey with it he might have some ideas on how to handle the board members as well. Secondly i would probably try to see how many Jedi are in your area before i start doing this, i am not sure entirely how you can accomplish this without getting a bunch of nut balls playing pranks and pulling you leg. I would say if you can get enough people who want a Jedi church going then it might be a little easier to persuade them. :) that is all i can think of off the top of my head for now.

May the force guide and keep you well.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 2 months ago #21506 by
I replied to this on totjf - essentially my ideas are aimed at dealing with the Church folk themselves first

One suggestion maybe as April suggest - putting feelers out first - test the water and see what sort of (genuine) interst you get and perhaps use your won home for the first one or two 'meetings' and if you get a reasonable response (ie two or three) that is a good managable start and work up from there - these folk can then spread the word for you.

MTFBWY - A

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
15 years 2 months ago #21510 by Jon
Replied by Jon on topic Re:forming a Jedi Ministry?
Master Chance, may be the reference to serious books on Jediism (in open talks with community members) by notable authors helps to bring the seriousness of your point across (Staub, David Wilkinson, Watts, Jesuit articles etc.). References are everything in the modern day world. These give you authority and power in what you say.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
More
15 years 2 months ago #21512 by Jon
Also a solid concept on your part would not go amiss. To convince members that you are not on a fantasy trip you will need a Clerical Handbook, solid literature, Doctinal Foundation, Jedi Concepts in relation to world and religious issues... . To be taken seriously, these are things which you should already have prepared in advance.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 2 months ago #21519 by
These are all great ideas, including what I've read at TOTJF.
Our Youth Director (who also came to the UMC thru the theatre!) has also suggested that, at first, I just ask for a room to host the 'new Jedi Group' I'm formning, and draft a letter to one of the elders who does support us. (He says he'd join the meetings!)
It would be a great way to bring new people in; this is a small, elderly, dwindling congregation, and it is in some danger of folding.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 2 months ago #21521 by
Well that is already great news, that you have people getting interested. Please keep us posted on how well things go :)

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
More
15 years 2 months ago #21523 by Jon
I concur with Master April, that is wonderful news. The sky is the limit brother.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 1 month ago #22732 by
UPDATE:
I've drafted a proposal letter to start my Jedi \"discussion and Activity group\" at my church, which I will give to the Evangelism and Education committees ASAP, so I can get it on the agenda for the next church council meeting.
The Pastor loves the idea, and the Council Chair has said he's \"up for anything, if it helps\".
So cross yer fingers! :)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 3 weeks ago #22759 by
Just a bump.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi