How should I handle this situation?

More
6 years 8 months ago #295430 by Wescli Wardest
Faith is not mathematically equitable.

It is a trust, a confidence in something unprovable. Not because we can prove it but because it is good; and, in our hearts we know it is true.
Our knowledge has made us cynical. Our cleverness, hard and unkind. We think too much and feel too little… More than cleverness we need kindness and gentleness. Without these qualities, life will be violent and all will be lost.” Charlie Chaplin, the Great Dictator ~ the Barber’s Speech

Monastic Order of Knights

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago #295432 by steamboat28
But they aren't "lying". They're "educating" about their beliefs. You cannot prove or disprove "myth", because it's all true (metaphorically) regardless of whether or not it happened or exists.

Educate, but be careful how you do so, or you will be indoctrinating the same as someone else. We all like to believe we're "right", but true knowledge lies in knowing we don't know.

This video contains a beard, bad singing, and some foul language

More
6 years 8 months ago #295437 by ZealotX

Edan wrote: Why couldn't you explain to your children what each of you believe, but at that they don't have to believe? We teach religious education in schools so that kids are equipped to understand people believe different things. Why not offer that education to your children yourself?

Because by the very act of me telling them what I believe or think is true I'm automatically committing my credibility to it. It would be different if I was addressing a classroom. My kids want to know what I like, what my favorite things are, any they ask a thousand questions as they continuously strive to know their parents and where they came from and what's normal relative to themselves. If I said the world is flat they might think I was joking but if they thought I was serious then if they didn't have the means to falsify that opinion they might take it as fact. Unfortunately, this is what happened when my mother got involved. Now my 8 year old thinks Jesus is real and its not because Jesus spoke to her... or her heart spoke to her... or donkey spoke to her... but because a person of high esteem spoke to her. That's not a good reason, in my opinion, for my child, to be a believer in Jesus. Everyone can feel free to disagree based upon their own beliefs but I don't want my kids accepting something that isn't falsifiable based on someone's word alone.

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #295445 by ZealotX

Wescli Wardest wrote: Faith is not mathematically equitable.

It is a trust, a confidence in something unprovable. Not because we can prove it but because it is good; and, in our hearts we know it is true.
Our knowledge has made us cynical. Our cleverness, hard and unkind. We think too much and feel too little… More than cleverness we need kindness and gentleness. Without these qualities, life will be violent and all will be lost.” Charlie Chaplin, the Great Dictator ~ the Barber’s Speech

Thank you for your opinion. However, how do you know what you just said is true?

There are all manner of things said about faith, but that doesn't mean people understand where it comes from or why a religion would reinforce it by saying that you have to have it. People are playing hide and go seek with a deity that has no reason to play this game, no reason to hide from his creations, no reason to talk in code, no reason to have as his mouthpieces, murderers and liars, no reason to require human inventions like writing or the printing press to spread his messages. I could go on and on and on and I never even had questions like these before I stopped having blind faith.

I did not have the opportunity, as a child, to decide if Jesus was real or not. It was taught to us by every credible adult in our lives. I even spent a couple early years in a religious school. This amounts to psychological reinforcement. There are children born and raised in cults and no one thinks to free them because that's what their parents taught. There are children that are even married to older perverts because they make up some religious basis for it. And when you don't have any skepticism or independent thought, creating a buffer between your brain and the external forces of the world, you can potentially create a gullibility that is willing to accept literally anything.

Including this:

and this:
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by ZealotX.

More
6 years 8 months ago #295454 by ZealotX

steamboat28 wrote: But they aren't "lying". They're "educating" about their beliefs. You cannot prove or disprove "myth", because it's all true (metaphorically) regardless of whether or not it happened or exists.

Educate, but be careful how you do so, or you will be indoctrinating the same as someone else. We all like to believe we're "right", but true knowledge lies in knowing we don't know.

This video contains a beard, bad singing, and some foul language

I don't disagree with you. However, you are an adult and using the logic of an adult.

A child may not tell you that they think you're lying, but if they define a lie as a statement that isn't true, or false... then to them it is a lie. The nuances in life tend to comes when we get a little older. To be considered a lie it has to be intentional but false statements told with sincerity and/or passion often appear to be more truthful. And children aren't lie detectors. At a certain age they can be convinced that a fat man somehow squeezes down their chimney and delivers toys every year. Critical thinking is something that has to develop. And again, if my child was presented with a myth that would be a different story. However, she was presented with a real person and therefore thinks Jesus is real. She's 8.

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #295456 by Wescli Wardest
By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of God. I've seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. And goodness - what God desires - is here (points to Balian's head ) and here (points to Balian's heart ) and by what you decide to do every day you will be a good man...or not.” Hospitaller, the Kingdom of Heaven

The evil actions of men can always be cited.
So can the acts of kindness.
Which I notice you did not cite. ;)
But neither one of these is faith. Faith is what incites one to act upon what is taught or one believes. Your child will have faith in something rather you like it or not; just as you do. The question is, what will your child have faith in?

Monastic Order of Knights
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Wescli Wardest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Amaya, Carlos.Martinez3

More
6 years 8 months ago #295472 by ZealotX

Wescli Wardest wrote: By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of God. I've seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. And goodness - what God desires - is here (points to Balian's head ) and here (points to Balian's heart ) and by what you decide to do every day you will be a good man...or not.” Hospitaller, the Kingdom of Heaven

The evil actions of men can always be cited.
So can the acts of kindness.
Which I notice you did not cite. ;)
But neither one of these is faith. Faith is what incites one to act upon what is taught or one believes. Your child will have faith in something rather you like it or not; just as you do. The question is, what will your child have faith in?

hopefully, and what I want to encourage most of all, is faith in themselves. I also want them to have faith that their parents have their best interests at heart so that they can live with a sense of security and stability without that being questioned by other family members.

Even if people use Jesus or Yahweh as totems on which to place faith... because these are motivating figures that "live" in the mind, the faith given to them is somewhat indirectly self-serving. Some people think Jesus helps them win football games. But if they play harder because of this belief it can be beneficial. Many children start off with imaginary friends and this is healthy. It is only at the point that the imaginary takes the place of real live friends and a real live sense of self-esteem that it's a problem. But again... she's 8. Her faith isn't really in Jesus. It's in the person who told her Jesus is real. Just like many believers would not believe (no offense intended) in Jesus if the bible was never written. And so it isn't so much that they believe in Jesus. They believe in what was written about Jesus in the bible because their faith is in the writers. And often when scholars study the writings they lose their faith because that trust in those writers is really the basis of their belief, perhaps not in a higher power in general, but certainly in the mythical narrative of the Hebrews. Most of Jesus's believers do not even know him outside of the NT. Most do not care to. But that's another argument, outside the scope of an 8 yr old believing the testimony of a grandmother.

More
6 years 8 months ago #295474 by Carlos.Martinez3
"Your child will have faith in something rather you like it or not; just as you do. The question is, what will your child have faith in?"
If i may add also to me ..my question is as well what part will I play in it ? That can be a huge factor in our focus as well. With offspring it hard to give advice as every path is different so are our little paths as well". I have yet to be disappointed in the results of that idea light focus when I apply it .. Often . Intention on the parents part is huge too are you gunna be the flow of what that child needs Rightbnow or what they get already from every one else.? Being Jedi is even tougher when you add any percentage of these extra lights! Of now more than ever the world needs the Jedi mom and dads who are Jedi Christian Jedi Jew , more open hearted than close minded . That's my own opinion but i feed those who are hungry and ask their names at the table as I feed them. . Balls in your court , action is to you , hope some of this helps your path be a bit ... More

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: ZealotX

More
6 years 8 months ago #295498 by thomaswfaulkner
This seems to be a prime opportunity to teach your children about diversity. :)

In my opinion, its difficult to control the actions of others, so it's on us to change the way we see and respond to a situation. Take power in what you can do and engage in conversations with your children about everyone's beliefs. I'm sure your children will appreciate it more if you remain open and honest about the range of beliefs and didn't draw religious boundaries between their circle of support. Try to convince all parties to be understanding of the situation in order to preserve the family peace and the adults role within the family system. At the end of the day, children are going to believe thousands of things before they settle on what they think is right. Positively encouraging them to make those choices it's beneficial to a healthy development.

I hope this helps!

Right View ~ Right Intention ~ Right Speech ~ Right Action ~ Right Livelihood ~ Right Effort ~ Right Mindfulness ~ Right Concentration

Knight of the Order
Ordained Clergy Person
Teaching Master: Senan
IP Journal l AP Journal l Seminary Journal l Personal Ministry Statement

If you need to talk, we are here to listen.
Contact the Clergy

May all beings be happy and free and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life contribute
in some way to the happiness and freedom for all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ZealotX

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi