Volunteer Opportunities: Stories of Us

More
6 years 1 month ago #318627 by thomaswfaulkner
As a part of my ministry here at the Temple, I thought it would be a great idea that we have an archive of people who are willing to share their personal stories with other members. The idea that was bouncing around my mind, is similar to NPR’s Story Corp, but it’s revamped to talk about matters and experiences that are both personally relevant and defines our “suchness” or what it means to be us. I’m talking about stories that provide encouragement, spread love, highlights personal experiences, both successes and shortcomings, and tales of perseverance. Sharing these stories of laughter and fallen tears that have shaped our understanding of how to walk through life in our shoes.

My goal with this ministry is to spark the peopling between our members through empathic listening and vulnerability. I know, at times, we interact with the people here and identify them by their unique profiles, but it’s important to remind ourselves of the individual behind each username. There is a living, breathing person behind each screen who may benefit from the experiences that we choose to share. I’m called to remind myself that there is no act too small to be passed over when it can add to the happiness of another.

I’m using this post as an outreach for volunteers within the Temple who wish to participate. My vision for this project would be as simple as a conversation between two friends. I love the idea of having these stories available in audio to promote that “person-esque” mode of delivery, but I understand that barriers may prevent this option from occurring in each circumstance. I want the listeners to hear the real emotions behind each of the stories and vicariously experience whatever lesson is being shared by the volunteer.

I am really flexible with moving forward in this project and I am completely open to suggestions, topics, and input from anybody who is willing to help! The topic of each conversation can exist on a wide array of subject. My main goal is just to capture that human side to the Jedi community. We can talk about friendship, favorite memories, love and heartbreak, resilience, hobbies, your favorite kind of flower, the way a cloudless sunset makes you feel, or your own motivation/philosophy of life. I just want to reaffirm that you are a special person who can make a difference in the life of another special person.

Have a Happy Day and thank you ahead of time for making a difference.

Right View ~ Right Intention ~ Right Speech ~ Right Action ~ Right Livelihood ~ Right Effort ~ Right Mindfulness ~ Right Concentration

Knight of the Order
Ordained Clergy Person
Teaching Master: Senan
IP Journal l AP Journal l Seminary Journal l Personal Ministry Statement

If you need to talk, we are here to listen.
Contact the Clergy

May all beings be happy and free and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life contribute
in some way to the happiness and freedom for all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Locksley, Carlos.Martinez3

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 month ago #318636 by Zero
I'm here, and I think this was a great idea. How do we start?

Master Zero
House of Orion
TOTJO Council Member
Head Moderator and Education Administration Member
Journals- IP / Apprentice / Knight / BDiv / MDiv / Personal
My Apprentice: Morkano
Knighted Apprentices: Diana W, Atania, Ashria, Tannis Yarl, Tavi, Rini, Khwang

”Everything that exists in this world has a hidden meaning within. When you look deeper at things, beyond initial appearance, you discover their true reality.”

The following user(s) said Thank You: thomaswfaulkner

More
6 years 1 month ago #318645 by Locksley
I love this idea and the intention behind it. Would these be in person "sharings," or were you thinking that we would have some sort of specific library of people's positive experiences? If I can help with this, I'd be interested in doing so. When I was first reading this and got to "having these stories available in audio" I felt a moment of excitement, because having an audio archive of short pieces by members could be very cool -- and could have a large impact for relatively low effort. A member's story could be recorded by them, sent in for review and audio editing (if necessary) and then placed into the archive as a permanent fixture of positivity.

Dunno if that's at all what you were thinking about, but it sparked something for me! :)

We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile, and nothing can grow there. Too much, the best of us is washed away. -- J. Michael Straczynski, Babylon 5

More
6 years 1 month ago #318672 by thomaswfaulkner
Fantastic! I'm hoping to either have people submit audio recordings, if they feel comfortable enough talking without prompts, or having some recording medium where either myself or someone they shared that experience with talks with them and listens (sort of like if they recall a specific memory about being at the lake, and the person is there recording the message with someone else who might have been there like a sibling or a friend).

Right View ~ Right Intention ~ Right Speech ~ Right Action ~ Right Livelihood ~ Right Effort ~ Right Mindfulness ~ Right Concentration

Knight of the Order
Ordained Clergy Person
Teaching Master: Senan
IP Journal l AP Journal l Seminary Journal l Personal Ministry Statement

If you need to talk, we are here to listen.
Contact the Clergy

May all beings be happy and free and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life contribute
in some way to the happiness and freedom for all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Locksley

More
6 years 1 month ago #318675 by Rosalyn J
I'll help however I can

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 1 month ago #318679 by
I offer to help in any way I can. :)

More
6 years 1 month ago #318681 by Carlos.Martinez3
Im down

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

More
6 years 1 month ago #318689 by Kit
I have a story that's not super positive, but lots of perseverance (I'm still alive aren't I? XD) Although some of what we might talk about, you may not be able to publish for a little while (few months?). I'm pretty open about my past so my story's out there in a few threads, but I think a conversation would be benificial. But I have a lot of other fun stories if you want some less heavy stuff too :D I love stories and the telling of them!

As another idea, what about recording video chats where willing? you can get expresion along with vocal patterns.

I'd also reccomend releasing these maybe as you make them? At least a week apart so folks have time to watch them before they start stacking up. (no idea if you got that far in your planning hehe, so forgive me if I'm giving you ideas you've already thought of!)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 1 month ago #318692 by
I too have stories that I do not mind sharing.

More
6 years 1 month ago #318693 by Locksley
As an added bit, I'm willing to offer help needed to edit these (that's the sort of work I do, professionally). I'd be willing to do anything basic to improve audio quality, and whatnot, so that's another part of how I can volunteer for this.

We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile, and nothing can grow there. Too much, the best of us is washed away. -- J. Michael Straczynski, Babylon 5

The following user(s) said Thank You: Kit, thomaswfaulkner

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi