Proposal Regarding the Special Interest Groups

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 1 month ago #53584 by
Members of the Council,

After much consideration and discussion with my fellow Jedi, I'd like to propose a name change to the five former-rites, now "special interest groups." As the Abrahamic SIG is a collection of religions with a common thread found in their scriptures, and the Pagan SIG is, too, a collection of religions with a common thread found in their earth-based practices, I propose that the oddly specific SIG of Buddhism be expanded to include all Eastern religions, such as Hinduism, Confucianism, Taoism, and more, alongside the already established Buddhism of the current rite. This would allow Jedi to explore more faiths and, just as the other SIG forums have their subforums on specific religions, allow Jedi to engage in discussions specific to the religion they seek to understand.

With this in mind, I propose that the Buddhist SIG be renamed to "Eastern."

Humbly yours,
Ace

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 1 month ago #53593 by
Ooh, I second this. It makes perfect sense.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 1 month ago #53601 by
I agree although buddhism remains one of my greatest inspiration and interest. This site has a very international flare. It invites people of all faiths to join in and share. Lets make them all feel welcome.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
12 years 1 month ago #53612 by ren
Thing is there is just as much difference between taoism and hindusim than there is between pagan beliefs and abrahamic ones.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
12 years 1 month ago #53613 by RyuJin
In a way buddhism bridges the two...since the first buddha was originally raised a hindu and incorporated taoist concepts into what became buddhism

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 1 month ago #53622 by
Maybe have Hinduism and Hare Krishna as it's own rite. Both Hinduism and Buddhism have a few different secs to them, but Buddhism is more agnostic, while Hinduism is polytheistic.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
12 years 1 month ago #53623 by Jestor
Down the road, maybe subdivide further, but interest in these SIG's is really scattered versus the General forum, and humor...

At least from what I'm seeing....

Ren prolly has exact numbers on which forum does what.... As far as hit count....

Ren and i discussed it, and I made the unilateral decision to call it Eastern, as Hinduism, Buddhism, Confucianism, and any "ism" in this similar vein, are more Eastern, and that Buddhism is only one train of thought in the east...

In Council, a while back, we discussed the Abrahamic SIG, in that it used to called Christian, Christianity is only one branch of the Abrahamic faiths...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi