Changes to the Membership Application....

• Jestor
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
8 years 8 months ago #195078 by Jestor
When most of us joined TOTJO, the Oath and the Application were required...

Six months ago, we moved the Oath , and due to the 'frivilaous' (it was felt) way in which folks were taking the Oath it was made a requirement of becoming an Apprentice...

Beginning July 1st, there will be a change to the application process...

There will be a seven (7) day waiting period from account creation, to application eligibility...

This is hoped to create two reactions...

First, and the lessor important of the two, reduction in applications, and increase the timeliness of processsing valid applications...

And secondly, and the more importantly, this will separate 'the wheat from the chaff', lol... It will stop the "fly-by-night-ers" or, the "i-wanna-be-a-jedi-ers"...

By placing a seven day waiting period, folks will have to at least have had an account for a week before becoming a member...

Here is a preview of the wording change on the application...

Any questions, please ask... You will (and should,) anyway, :lol:...

*TOTJO Username/Handle:

There is a ONE [1] WEEK (seven [7] day) waiting period from joining TOTJO, to being eligible for membership.

TOTJO Join Date: _________
(Found in your profile)

Today's Date: __________

How many days? _______ (Round down if there is a question.)

*How should your name read on any certificates or ID's? (Legal Name)

We do not send unsolicited email. This is for membership verification and contact by Administration. *Email Address:

Name Prefix: (Mr. Mrs. Ms.)

*First Name:

Middle Name:

*Last Name:

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Ben, Alexandre Orion, Kit and 8 other people also said thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 8 months ago #195083 by

Jestor wrote: When most of us joined TOTJO, the Oath and the Application were required...

Six months ago, we moved the Oath , and due to the 'frivilaous' (it was felt) way in which folks were taking the Oath it was made a requirement of becoming an Apprentice...

Beginning July 1st, there will be a change to the application process...

There will be a seven (7) day waiting period from account creation, to application eligibility...

This is hoped to create two reactions...

First, and the lessor important of the two, reduction in applications, and increase the timeliness of processsing valid applications...

And secondly, and the more importantly, this will separate 'the wheat from the chaff', lol... It will stop the "fly-by-night-ers" or, the "i-wanna-be-a-jedi-ers"...

By placing a seven day waiting period, folks will have to at least have had an account for a week before becoming a member...

Here is a preview of the wording change on the application...

Any questions, please ask... You will (and should,) anyway, :lol:...

*TOTJO Username/Handle:

There is a ONE [1] WEEK (seven [7] day) waiting period from joining TOTJO, to being eligible for membership.

TOTJO Join Date: _________
(Found in your profile)

Today's Date: __________

How many days? _______ (Round down if there is a question.)

*How should your name read on any certificates or ID's? (Legal Name)

We do not send unsolicited email. This is for membership verification and contact by Administration. *Email Address:

Name Prefix: (Mr. Mrs. Ms.)

*First Name:

Middle Name:

*Last Name:

Jestor: ,,And secondly, and the more importantly, this will separate 'the wheat from the chaff', lol... It will stop the "fly-by-night-ers"[1] or, the "i-wanna-be-a-jedi-ers[2]"...''

Dear Mr. Jestor,

Thank you for the update information. I a few small questions about this change. What will happen to those that fall in the two category [1] and category [2] if they will make it trough the new prevention measures? If the new changes will help to reduce the not valid applications, how to deal whit people that could write down ''an other'' opinion than they truly have?
What if it comes to the situation of ''separating the wheat from the chaff'' after gaining the privilege of becoming member of this community? Will there be an second ''rapport of truth'' during their membership to assure that people have the same words as on their application? If not, how to ensure that this plan will help?
The question might be a little bit weird to ask and I am sorry if I try to let you explain something that you do not want to explain. In that case forget my post! I am just curious about the underlying rationale. How did it came to this new plan?

~ Aqua

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #195084 by Edan
I don't expect Jestor or the council intends any vigorous measures after application to ensure everyone is 'sincere'. I think the point is to stop people joining, immediately creating applications then disappearing into oblivion. Jestor processes applications in his spare (!) time, and those kind of applications make needless extra work for him.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by Edan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Jestor, Alexandre Orion, Kit, Breeze el Tierno,

More
8 years 8 months ago #195085 by steamboat28
Not only that, but a 7-day waiting period gives them time to interact with the Temple at large and see if it's the kind of place they think they'll fit in. It'll give them a cool-off period to realize that we're not "those other Jedi", and to decide how they feel about it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Alexandre Orion, Kit, Edan,

More
8 years 8 months ago #195086 by J_Roz
Plus it will also put more time in for folks to think. We still have some folks that sign up and do the entire IP in 24 hour span. I'm not sure how they do it.... :-) I think this is a very good idea.

"O Great Spirit, Help me always to speak the truth quietly, to listen with an open mind when others speak, and to remember the peace that may be found in silence"

Kaylee: How come you don't care where you're going?
Book: 'Cause how you get there is the worthier part.
Firefly Series

Apprenticed to: Phortis Nespin
Apprentices: None Currently
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Alexandre Orion, Edan,

More
8 years 8 months ago #195088 by Tellahane
I was a fully functional guest for over 2 weeks before I even applied, the only difference between the two in my mind functionality-wise, was just ability to reply to jediism threads. I still contributed and discussed in open discussion threads just fine, and had several good discussions in chat over that time period where I was able to learn and talk to people, I don't think not having a membership for a week really limits anyone at all, or even not having a membership at all(which is what I had intended originally for those 2 weeks was to remain a guest). Having been on the administrating side of a forum before I can understand the motivation behind filtering out the applications that way too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Alexandre Orion,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #195091 by

Jedi_Roz wrote: Plus it will also put more time in for folks to think. We still have some folks that sign up and do the entire IP in 24 hour span. I'm not sure how they do it.... :-) I think this is a very good idea.

I do not think it is a problem that people do it in 24 hours or less. Actually I think it is wise to let people decide themselves to do it within 24 hours or less, or within more time. ''Completing'' the IP within - 24 h. would result in a good way. Good to see that those people have little patience. Good way of seeing how people are.
If we would say, that people have to spend minimum time on IP, would we blind ourselves from seeing their inpatient behavior?
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by .

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #195096 by Edan
There is a minimum time on the IP... Two months I believe (before rank change anyway).

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by Edan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Alexandre Orion,

• Jestor
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #195097 by Jestor
Hiya Aqua...:)

I kinda got lost in the first post of yours, hopefully someone answered it...

I am having some off-line things happening, and my concentration is lacking at the moment, :lol:....

But, I am going to give it a try...:)

I do not think it is a problem that people do it in 24 hours or less

Actually, One person has done it in less than 24 hours, another did it in less than 72...

We enacted a 60 day policy on the IP, meaning it will not be considered completed until 60 days has passed...

I believe it is in the FAQ...

But, correct, this rule was for a different reason...

It seems many folks come here and simply sign up, and leave, never to be heard from again... At least so far...

So, this policy is to stop that from happening...

We dont care about how many join, but how sincere those who join are...

So, this is to stop folks who fill out the application for fun, thinking "How cool, Im a Jedi Now!!"...

Its a similar reason we moved the Oath back first... It wasnt being taken seriously... and was discussed first... This move would have probably taken care of it, but, it wasnt mentioned first... I thought of it while we were discussing the oath...

If we would say, that people have to spend minimum time on IP, would we blind ourselves from seeing their inpatient behavior?

No... After being here a while, you see patterns in people...

The impatient always show themselves, :lol:...

If the new changes will help to reduce the not valid applications, how to deal whit people that could write down ''an other'' opinion than they truly have?

Are you asking "what if someone cheats about their dates"?

Every current member that has been processed has their registration date in their info... I look at profiles to find it, among, other things...:)

Here is a picture of my info...

Attachment h8b52f23.JPG not found

Attachment h73dae4f.JPG not found

Attachment h6af9dac.JPG not found

(edit: made bigger and slight overlap to show everything)

Will there be an second ''rapport of truth'' during their membership to assure that people have the same words as on their application? If not, how to ensure that this plan will help?

lol, no...

People move, change phone numbers and such all the time...

We do ask, if something changes, folks send in a new application, and it has been done many times... FOlks message me about things, and if their info has changed, I ask for a new app...:)

The plan, will help keep people from joining, with no intention of being serious about this lifestyle...

If they are serious, then what is a week?

My son is 15, he has experienced over 780 weeks... What is one more before he is allowed to be a member? (actually, he is a minor, and subject to different rules, and, has been a member for a couple for years, lol...)

Did that help explain it better?

If not, ask away!!

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by Jestor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ben, Alexandre Orion,

• Jestor
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
More
8 years 8 months ago #195099 by Jestor

Tellahane wrote: I was a fully functional guest for over 2 weeks before I even applied,

I was a guest for a week it appears, lol...

I dont burst into a room either... Generally... I have, but its not normal...

Usually, I move in slow, and watch my corners and back before proceeding too far in the room... Im hard to scare at Halloween, lol...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion, Tellahane

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi