• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 years 3 weeks ago #166 by
Teen who wants to wear anti-gay T-shirt takes battle to court

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/308282,CST-NWS-gay22.article

March 22, 2007

BY LISA FEDOROWICZ

A Neuqua Valley High senior has gone to federal court seeking the right to wear an anti-gay T-shirt to school next month on the day after a national event in support of gays is scheduled in schools.
Heidi Zamecnik, 17, is asking the court to order her school and Indian Prairie District 204 to allow her to express her anti-gay beliefs on April 19, the day after the 11th annual \"Day of Silence'' is scheduled to protest harassment of gays in schools.

According to the Web site www.dayofsilence.org,students and teachers across the country plan to observe the day in silence \"to echo'' the silence that gay students face all the time.

The lawsuit filed Wednesday on behalf of Heidi and an NVHS freshman did not state what written message they planned to wear on T-shirts.

'Day of Silence'

Heidi's father, Carl Zamecnik, declined to comment Wednesday night on behalf of his family, and he referred calls to an attorney.
Because of her family's \"sincerely held religious beliefs\" against homosexuality, \"they wish to share their conviction that true happiness cannot be found through homosexual behavior,\" the suit says.

During her first two years of high school, the Naperville resident did not outwardly object to the \"Day of Silence,\" in which students wear pro-gay messages on T-shirts. But in her junior year, Heidi wore a T-shirt the day after a \"Day of Silence.\" It read in part, \"BE HAPPY, NOT GAY.\"

That day, April 26, 2006, Dean of Students Bryan Wells told Heidi to remove the shirt or leave because her message offended others, according to the suit. When she refused, her mother was called.
'Be Happy. Be Straight'

Linda Zamecnik and Wells agreed Wells could alter the shirt's message to read \"Be Happy. Be Straight.\"
But the suit says the agreement was broken when a school counselor crossed out \"NOT GAY\" in black marker but nothing replaced it.

The suit says Linda Zamecnik discussed the issue with the principal and superintendent and was told that staff had done nothing wrong.
The suit says Heidi suffered unlawful discrimination, humiliation and punishment by school personnel merely because they didn't agree with her viewpoint.

Sun-Times News Group
© Copyright 2007 Sun-Times News Group

Argue for or against.

This 'Debate of the week is really through Sunday after next since we're still getting things on schedule'.

Br. John

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 years 3 weeks ago #168 by
Although, I have nothing against gays or lesbians, I feel that she should be able to wear the shirt. Who is to say that she is not offended by their pro-gay shirts worn the day before. This is America, where we have a right to express our opinion and in fact a right to offend someone if we want. I don't think thats why she is doing it, I think she wants to let them have their day to express their beliefs, then she wants to express her beliefs, its as simple as that. This lawsuit should be a short one.
Dhagon Krayt

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 years 3 weeks ago #169 by
If I can wear a t-shirt to school that says gay pride she should be able to wear one that says straight pride. Neither one puts down anyone. This seems like a simple question.

Let's change the variables to make this more exciting.

What do you think would happen if a student wanted to wear the slogan White Pride to protest Black History Month?

Br. John

p.s. This is for everyone to discuss.

Dhagon Krayt wrote:

Although, I have nothing against gays or lesbians, I feel that she should be able to wear the shirt. Who is to say that she is not offended by their pro-gay shirts worn the day before. This is America, where we have a right to express our opinion and in fact a right to offend someone if we want. I don't think thats why she is doing it, I think she wants to let them have their day to express their beliefs, then she wants to express her beliefs, its as simple as that. This lawsuit should be a short one.
Dhagon Krayt

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 years 3 weeks ago #174 by
As always the world exhists on perspectives; interpretations of our environment that guide us in how we move through that environment.

SOme may interpet gay to be wrong. THat is a valid perspective for a lot of reasons. Religiously there are numerous supports of the fact that heterosexuality is correct and homosexuality is not. Biologically, we are anatomically created to mate in pairs of opposite genders. Psychologically it is strongly arguable that the male psyche balances that of the female psyche in that two \"complete\" people of opposite gender can work together to very effectivly function.

On the contrary, the statement that homosexuality or heterosexuality are both viable choices. America is a nation of free people, just as the majority of nations are. I is probably statistically supportable that the majority(remembering that majority means 51% or greater) of the population agrees that its a matter of personal choice and completely open to your own decision. Many religions claim (the) God(s) to be a loving and compassionate God(s) that gave us not only mortallity to live and grow on earth but the freedom of choice to direct our lives as we chose.

I think the gay supporters should be allowed to have their day and the gay opposers should have their day, so long as its a peaceful action. One of the many problems I see is that people are inherently competitive, based on our natural instincts, and we hav emotions, which both form together to create the potential for being offended. Furthermore, gay supporters rarely if ever denounce straight people, in that it is rare for someone to think that gay is the ONLY option, and that straight is wrong, because biological structure clearly creates a strong logical argument for straight, BUT it is very easy for a straight supporter to see gay as wrong if their mind is closed to the potential for alternate choices because it is not a sexual decision that is based biologically or historically.

I for one support neither. I think its an individual by individual basis and everyone is free to make their choices. I am not pro or con gay choice, I think everyone has choice and so long as their choices do not hinder anothers, they are free to do as they wish.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 years 3 weeks ago #222 by
This is a hard one. As a Jedi I would say that \"hate breeds hate and love breeds love.\" We cannot tell this girl what to wear. We can only delve deep into her reasons for wearing it. In the end i believe a jedi role in this conflict would be one of observer, keeper of the peace, and consultant to all those who ask for it. Seek serenity away from the pangs of social lure, and the path of compassion and wisdom will present itself.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 years 2 weeks ago #323 by
As much as I dislike her actions, it's not my place to say that she shouldn't be allowed to express them. You can't have a double-standard about freedom of speech. Either anyone can say anything they want, or no one can say anything at all.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 years 1 week ago #587 by
well i believe that if the persons intentions were to bring hatred to the point then they shouldnt voice it. but then who are we to say what other poeple cant or can say. so the real question is is she wearing this shirt to actually voice how she feels or is she wearing it to hate on all others. thats what i think, we have the gift to feel how we want and what we can do. so why dont we use that. thats all
may the force be with everyone who does and does not needs its guidence.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 years 1 week ago #589 by
I'm gathering from the assortment of posts that no one feels that she is making a point that being gay is a choice and that the people that feel that they are being discriminated on also have the choice to stop the behavior. With the amount of responses to this topic, I'm surprised that no one has chosen to tackle the issue from that point of view. I know this temple is represented by various \"religious\" and otherwise ideals, but why has no one chosen to bring this topic to light? From my (and I will admit, limited) study of different religions, most have an opinion when it comes to the homosexual lifestyle and most view it as a negative. I am not here to put anyone down, but in our learning should we not address all aspects? This girl is valiant and daring and obviously not afraid of her morals. So if San Francisco can have a parade celebrating the \"alternative lifestyle\", why can't she speak up for the other side?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 years 1 week ago #590 by
Im not sure taking sides is the right thing to do here. Human behavior is an all you can eat buffet with 6 billion choices. The force is generated by all living things it binds all things in the universe together. I think being drawn into political conflict is a bad idea for the jedi. Knowledge and deffense.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 years 1 week ago #591 by
Im not sure taking sides is the right thing to do here. Human behavior is an all you can eat buffet with 6 billion choices. The force is generated by all living things it binds all things in the universe together. I think being drawn into political conflict is a bad idea for the jedi. Knowledge and deffense.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi