Angry Insider rant about how the force balances itself

More
4 years 5 months ago #344924 by ZealotX
Watch this and then comment on what Freddie Prinze Jr is actually saying. And says at least twice that this is what he was taught by the people making Star Wars so *bleep* if you disagree. So yeah, watch this. Try to reserve judgment. And let's talk about it afterwards.

Reaction to Freddie Prinze Jr SWEARING at Star Wars Fans

What do you agree with? What do you disagree with? Were you already thinking all of this already or did you learn anything new?
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 5 months ago #344927 by
can you disagree with they guy that made all this up? after all its HIS imagination, right?

More
4 years 5 months ago #344928 by Carlos.Martinez3
I love FreediePJ - my parents and grandparents supported his dad growing up. Dude is looking good for an old man. ( we are about the same age!) He looks like his dad. (so do I) Freddie prince Sr was one of the first Latin actors to have his show syndicated back in the old days. Big deal. His dad was the reason I saw people like me on TV. (born half of my decendents were from Mexican half Samoan ) Its kinna no wonder this child now adult, can understand and talk directly to these people, directors and writers of things like this.
Video subject.
I grew up with Star wars. My wife has her Star Wars and my son has his three and a few. We love em. These stories help us to connect as a family with so many different types of similar myths in the world, its crazy.
Star Wars is a story written by people for people to one - obviously make money and two - to give us stories.

Freedie PJ is at a waaaay different level than most are as far as study and availability. Think about that - he has a bit more of the inside scoop than we do, without whats just readily available. Its safe to say hes not at the begining stages - level zero or one.
He has a point. To me- His points comes from exhaustion of defense and exhaustion of explanation it seems. Not wrong ever , just obvious. To me any way. These are statements I have heard from different folk in my own circle. Im going to save this and use this probably for ever Z!!!!
The flavor of light is often what is inside. If anybody has the right to be grouchy about it its him. Hes obviously not the Jeddist type but not every one is with all the same info. Great idea and his explanation. Ive heard many and this one is a classic. Thanks again

Truthfully to me the f bombs were funny - hes a comedian being interviewed in a comedy setting. To each their own. I would hope by example, we see people create their own connections to Star Wars and the Force and live it. Good on FreediePJ! As we say in my house its Freedie PJ time!!! Actually we never say that ---we like Mr Prince Jr. thanks for posting.
I would agree with allot of what he said but most of his statements are his own path and im clergy and couldn't get away with such a rant. I can enjoy it and take it as my own but you wont ever hear exhaustion like Freddie's from me. Why would I grade others on his work? or mine? the Force doesn't need me. Im ok with that. Thanks again. Im looking foward to what this brings out thanks again

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

More
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #344931 by OB1Shinobi
I thought it was kind of funny and that everything he said was right. Fandoms in general are kind of irritating to me and SW fandom more than any other. People think that because they are emotionally invested in he stories that the creators are beholden to them. I loved the first book in the Dark Tower saga so much that the momentum of it was enough for me to read the whole series but i really disliked the “sci-fi” elements. Like how the Bear was a cyborg or something - i wont get into it all but the point is i didnt like some of Stephen King choices but i didnt get pissed off at him for writing his story the way he wanted to write it.

I think this idea that there has to be an equal amount of good and evil in the universe because BALANCE is total horse shite lol. How many old ladies am i allowed to help cross the street before im obligated to kick one into traffic in order to stay “balanced”? As i mentioned in the Mythology thread, there are ideas in SW that are pretty thin, imo and i think the dudes point about it being made for kids is absolutely right.

People are complicated.
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Skryym, Rex

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 5 months ago #344932 by
lol well to be balanced it would be every other old lady! Better get started, your behind it seems!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 5 months ago #344933 by
Actually according to this you would not have to do anyhting. if you walk a lady across the street then The Force will kick the next one into the street.

More
4 years 5 months ago #344935 by Carlos.Martinez3
My own opinion and practice

I often remember that the Force is already balanced - with or without me. Helps me keep my ideas of it in perspective. I’m the “user” or the vessel not the Force itself but through or with me ... not because of me- it can help me.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi, Skryym

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 5 months ago #344936 by
lol @ Fyxe and obi1shinobi, I'd argue that balance isn't just a matter of tit-for-tat action and reaction, though it certainly can seem that way.
On a personal level, it could just as easily be a matter of perspective and attitude- the more one strives to be an absolute paragon of virtue and what not, the harder it becomes to actually view the world around you in even a neutral way, nevermind a positive light. Hammers and nails, you know?
A better analogy, though, would be to just look at the natural world; things have a funny way of just sorting themselves out, one way or another.

I have to agree on the issues of fandom, though- when dealing with more entitled, toxic circles, well, sometimes you can't handle people with kid-gloves. Sometimes people are wrong, plain and simple, and sometimes it takes making people uncomfortable (best exemplified by the hosts expression when the rant was done) to get them actually listening, actually thinking.

Sometimes we don't like what we hear simply because of the source, but sometimes we don't like it because it's true. That's when honest introspection can do a lot of good. Don't find ways to shrug it off and move on (again, like the host), don't just dismiss it for not liking it, ask yourself why you didn't like it. Sometimes the things we don't want to hear are things that need to be said.

I've come to a point where I don't believe in the grey, myself. A "grey" perspective, I've observed, is often just one that refuses to ignore other factors, opinions and facts simply to make something simpler than it really is. As Pratchet once wrote, "there are no shades of grey, only white that's gotten grubby".

More
4 years 5 months ago #344943 by ZealotX

Kelrax Lorcken wrote: lol @ Fyxe and obi1shinobi, I'd argue that balance isn't just a matter of tit-for-tat action and reaction, though it certainly can seem that way.
On a personal level, it could just as easily be a matter of perspective and attitude- the more one strives to be an absolute paragon of virtue and what not, the harder it becomes to actually view the world around you in even a neutral way, nevermind a positive light. Hammers and nails, you know?
A better analogy, though, would be to just look at the natural world; things have a funny way of just sorting themselves out, one way or another.

I have to agree on the issues of fandom, though- when dealing with more entitled, toxic circles, well, sometimes you can't handle people with kid-gloves. Sometimes people are wrong, plain and simple, and sometimes it takes making people uncomfortable (best exemplified by the hosts expression when the rant was done) to get them actually listening, actually thinking.

Sometimes we don't like what we hear simply because of the source, but sometimes we don't like it because it's true. That's when honest introspection can do a lot of good. Don't find ways to shrug it off and move on (again, like the host), don't just dismiss it for not liking it, ask yourself why you didn't like it. Sometimes the things we don't want to hear are things that need to be said.

I've come to a point where I don't believe in the grey, myself. A "grey" perspective, I've observed, is often just one that refuses to ignore other factors, opinions and facts simply to make something simpler than it really is. As Pratchet once wrote, "there are no shades of grey, only white that's gotten grubby".

I was going to say something similar to this.

On the question of balance...

The Force doesn't (imo) have a will to help or harm old ladies. Neither is there a scenario where a quota of old ladies need to not be helped. The balance as it relates to life and death is that an old man or lady dies and a new boy or girl is born. So there's already a cycle there. One doesn't have to die a certain way just as one doesn't have to live a certain way. The way you live is a balance of your decisions and your environment. The way you die, same thing.

The Force is also unstable and imbalanced by its very nature. The pendulum is always moving as the universal equation is always trying to balance itself. It does this through us and without us. Some ladies don't die crossing the street. Some babies are never born. Interceding on behalf of an old person is the same as a parent saving the life or a baby. And sometimes babies die from SIDS and sometimes old people survive heart attacks. There's no 1:1 because the universe isn't balanced. There's not an equal amount of matter and antimatter.

But balance paints in broad strokes. It simply depends on the equation; how it will balance itself.

More
4 years 5 months ago #344949 by OB1Shinobi

Kelrax Lorcken wrote: lol @ Fyxe and obi1shinobi, I'd argue that balance isn't just a matter of tit-for-tat action and reaction, though it certainly can seem that way.

I have what i consider a pretty reasonable idea of what balance means for real people in real life. My point is that the Balance of the Force in the SW franchise is silly and I have seen people on this board extrapolate that good and evil are supposed to be “in balance” in real life. As in, theres supposed to be an equal amount of each. I use the old lady metaphor to highlight the absurdity of this.

Im not sure if this is what you have in mind here but living systems (organisms and ecosystems) do need some base level of homeostasis in order to to flourish This could certainly be seen as a kind of balance.

I dont have a reply to the rest of your post. I basically agree but have nothing to add.

People are complicated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Skryym, ZealotX,

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi