Hi I'm Kit, Ask me Anything

More
6 years 10 months ago #287586 by Kit
Replied by Kit on topic Hi I'm Kit, Ask me Anything

Rosalyn J wrote: Oh this is cool! I'd be down to do one of these.

What is/are your favorite books and why?

Hands-down if I had to suggest one book to people it would be The Outstretched Shadow by Mercedes Lackey, James Mallory, Susan Ericksen. It's the first book to the Obsidian Trilogy (which would be my next two books to suggest haha). It's a wonderful example of the Hero's Journey, great story-telling, amazing world setting. It's the book (and set of books) I've read the most. I've lost count of how many times I've read it lol. They also have a set of magic called "The Wild Magic" and the rules that it follows supports my belief in life. When a wildmage casts a spell, she's asking the Gods of the Wild Magic for their aid in whatever she needs. But in turn for the magic, the gods ask of her a price for the spell. There's two, the personal energy the mage spends in casting the spell, and a task the gods ask of her. It's said that the gods use the power and tasks to set balance back into the world at such a larger scale that the mage often doesn't see how their task fits. It could be anything from saving a kitten out of a tree, to consoling one who's recently lost a loved one. I believe that you pay for everything you do. Be it in time and energy, or whatever. "You don't get somethin' for nothin'".

My next one would be A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin. Another well-written book that's very easy-reading while still being artistic and impactful. It's another Hero's Journey with a very meaningful ending. It's a short books and very worth the time to read it.

Dune by Frank Herbert. Such a rich universe and I love the characters.

Ender's Game another Hero's Journey and such a mind-bender.

Why Leaders Eat Last by Simon Sinek. One of the few nonfiction books I'd recommend but it's excellent for anyone in any kind of leadership position or someone who's in a poor followership position. Kind of repetitive but very interesting. Lots of good information with facts to back it up.

Those are the ones that come to mind. I was planing on bringing my copy of The Outstretched Shadow, as well as a new copy of A Wizard of Earthsea and Why Leaders Eat Last to the California Jedi Gathering's book exchange. I'm too attached to my Wizard of Earthsea to give it away, and I don't have a hard copy of Wjy Leaders Eat Last lol. I may just order the three to send to someone so they'll be there for anyone who wants 'em.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rugadd, Rosalyn J, Lykeios Little Raven

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago #287587 by Kit

Gisteron wrote: May I just say how much I love this idea? This is like an introduction all over again, but for a veteran user, and also with proper Q&A instead of the usual wall of "hi, welcome, enjoy your stay". More of us should do it, I believe. Thank you for starting this.

Thank you! I got the idea from Reddit. My husband reads that website a lot and something clicked this week that it'd be fun to bring here. I was worried about the reception though, didn't know if I'd get any questions at all! I'm very pleased!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago #287588 by
Replied by on topic Hi I'm Kit, Ask me Anything
What is a spirit animal and what does it do?

More
6 years 10 months ago #287590 by Kit

Manu wrote: I'm tempted to use the ask me anything to go off to silly tangents. :)

What I do want to ask is... Given previous conversations on this forum about issues with money, what have you done / are doing to manage your way into the financial position you wish to achieve?

Haha but those are the fun questions!!

Er...well, my family has made some very bad decisions when it comes to vehicles so I feel like this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0HX4a5P8eE

But what we're doing is I control the money because my husband is the unreasonable one...and kids are expensive... We pool our paychecks but each get an 'allowance' to blow on whatever we want for ourselves. Everything is on minimum payments right now because I'll be losing my job for a while so we're stockpiling money right now. My husband's joined the Air Force to get a better paying job and retirement options so when that starts bearing fruit, we'll be working on getting out of debt (again) at that point with the debt snowball.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, MadHatter

More
6 years 10 months ago #287592 by Kit

Amyntas wrote: What is a spirit animal and what does it do?

I actually recently wrote a lesson on it so this is easy :D I'll include power animals too since they're a big part of what I do

Animal Spirits
These spirits aren’t the spirits of a particular animal, but rather the accumulation of all the experience, wisdom, and knowledge of all the animals it represents. You can encounter the spirits of ANY animal, extinct, mythological, or currently living. They all have several aspects they represent and have their own teachings to offer.

Power Animals:
It’s believed that when a person is born, at least one animal spirit chooses them to be their guide and guardian throughout their life. A Power Animal is the Animal Spirit that chooses the individual and represents them. If they are sought out, The Power Animal will actively teach, or simply provide comfort when needed.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago #287600 by
Hello, you courageous little fox :)

What does it mean about me that my spirit animal seems to be a seal?

Thanks for this

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago #287601 by
I was almost named either Muad'Dib or Chani, lol

More
6 years 10 months ago #287602 by Tarran
Replied by Tarran on topic Hi I'm Kit, Ask me Anything
Anything?? Really?? Okay then...

Let's say you're traveling in a space ship, and you punch the hyper-drive, and you're suddenly traveling at just a flea's eyelash beyond precisely the speed of light...

...having achieved this, you *then* decide to flip on the headlights.

My question to you is, what precisely might you surmise would then happen, and why? ;)

Apprentice to J. K. Barger
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kit

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago #287609 by
Hey Kit....

Hmmm.... how have I been? ;)

More
6 years 10 months ago #287624 by Kit

ReallyRiver wrote: Hello, you courageous little fox :)

What does it mean about me that my spirit animal seems to be a seal?

Thanks for this

Why hello :D

power animals show different aspects of themselves for their chosen person. I've known people with the same power animal but the power animal itself acts a different way depending on who I'm asking them about.

Fox, for example, is often a trickster, sometimes with a negative cast to that. For me, he's amusement and the ability to use my own strengths in the best way. There's a German proverb that says "What the lion cannot manage to do, the fox can". So it's very individualized. But I took a peak and I have some observations about your Power Animal that I'll PM you :)

ReallyRiver wrote: I was almost named either Muad'Dib or Chani, lol

Nice! I always wanted to name a son Paul. Then I married into a family where my Father in Law's name is Paul...so there went that idea XD I ended up with a daughter anyways and named her after a video game character haha.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi