The Force in-Universe: Portrayals of Religion, or Philosophy?

More
9 years 5 months ago #167107 by steamboat28
Discussion carried over from the thread on Jedi Realists vs. Jediism.

Do you believe that canon sources indicate use of the Force as a religion more often than not? Yes? No? Ballpark franks?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #167122 by
I often like to refer to:

Star Wars, Outcast
Fate of the Jedi Book 1

http://atanveer.homeip.net:8181/Reads/Star%20Wars%20Pack/6%20-%20Legacy%20of%20the%20Force%20Era/4%20-%20Fate%20of%20the%20Jedi/1%20-%20Outcast.pdf

Ben hopped down to stand beside his father. Keeping his tone down, he asked, "What was that all about?"

Luke gave him a slight, private smile. "Rival School Traditions."

"Huh?"

"In many martial schools, such as rival lightsaber training academies in ancient times, or military academies outside the old republic, someone visiting a rival school would generally be denied any aid or information until he'd proved his worth. Which meant proving it to a Master of the school in one on one combat. As we arrived, I could sense Tistura Paan's presence with in and what her role was. And that she knew we were coming"

"But you didn't fight her."

"Correct. If I had agreed to fight Tistura Paan, someone beneath my rank, I would be acknowledging that I was not the equal of her Master, so Id never see the leader of the Baran Do Sages."

A light flared into luminescence in ben's head "All, so your student had to beat her student."

"And you did, and very well. You turned your mistake into her mistake and your weakness into your strength."

"And you got clean nails in the bargan. A win all around"

When I watch Star Wars and read the books I don't see a whole lot of Religion. In fact....I can only think of one instance...one time....when a religious representation was shown in star wars. (Clone wars) Everything else was all Military/Martial heavy.

The use of the force and spiritual representations were all based on the focus on their powers and technique. I personaly saw no religion in any of my readings of the fictional works, Star Wars. Jedi, to me, were much like a Live in Martial Arts school in Korea or Japan where you learn to regulate your Chi to make your mind and technique more applicable.

More
9 years 5 months ago #167125 by Proteus
Didn't George Lucas consult Joseph Campbell, who was a mythologist (scholar of mythology from which religion itself is rooted in) when creating Star Wars and especially the Jedi?

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #167126 by steamboat28
From that other thread:

Oneiros wrote: From IMDB:
Admiral Motti: Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerer's ways, Lord Vader. Your sad devotion to that ancient Jedi religion has not helped you conjure up the stolen data tapes, or given you enough clairvoyance to find the rebels' hidden fortress...

[Vader makes a pinching motion and Motti starts choking]

Darth Vader: I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Not that I personally care how an individual views being a Jedi when it comes to threads like these, but it has been called a religion for quite some time now.

Which marks at least 2 references to it as a religion in 1977, with the other being Han Solo's dismissive attitude.
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by steamboat28.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #167127 by
From IMDB:
Admiral Motti: Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerer's ways, Lord Vader. Your sad devotion to that ancient Jedi religion has not helped you conjure up the stolen data tapes, or given you enough clairvoyance to find the rebels' hidden fortress...

[Vader makes a pinching motion and Motti starts choking]

Darth Vader: I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Governor Tarkin: The Jedi are extinct, their fire has gone out of the universe. You, my friend, are all that's left of their religion

It's been referred to as a religion since the first movie. Whether the speaker was calling it a religion while trying to make fun of it is irrelevant. As for the books, they have been many authors and those authors have many viewpoints and very well may have made efforts to distance their writing from the religious aspects of the Jedi. It doesn't have to have religious significance to everyone, but the inherent spirituality makes in impossible to separate one's self from the religion. A good example would be really liking a lot of Jesus taught, following his teachings, but never going to church or worshipping in any sense.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #167128 by
George Lucas consulted and used many many different influences and ideas for Star Wars and the Jedi. Joseph Campbell was just one inspiration of several and is not the complete underlying factor of "Jedi" nor is Joseph Campbell's Power of Myth a religious article or beliefs. It is simply a belief.

Chi is just energy...it CAN be turned into a religion if you so choose to take it as your source of worship and organized practice. Or...it is just energy, and when understanding the methods of constructs it can be used. Just like the Force.

re·li·gion noun \ri-ˈli-jən\
: the belief in a god or in a group of gods

: an organized system of beliefs, ceremonies, and rules used to worship a god or a group of gods

Jedi of fiction didn't worship a god, or the Force. They merely took what they knew and applied it into their studies. If you took the force away from a Jedi they would still be Jedi serving the Peace and bringing Justice.

More
9 years 5 months ago #167132 by steamboat28

Kitsu Tails wrote: Jedi of fiction didn't worship a god, or the Force. They merely took what they knew and applied it into their studies. If you took the force away from a Jedi they would still be Jedi serving the Peace and bringing Justice.

There are many religions that don't worship deities. I think you'll find the remainder of that definition you gave hints at such:

Warning: Spoiler!

:)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #167133 by
They did talk about the "Will of the Force" an awful lot though.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #167134 by
Considering all star wars expanded universe material has been relegated to "legends" and is no longer considered "canon" per the LucasFilm story group (i never read any post Jedi novels anyway) I'd say with what's left of the canon it seems like it has more of a religious vibe then not.

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #167138 by Edan
That seems rather done on purpose...framing as more of a religion that is

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Edan.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi