Skynet takes over!

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 months ago #93671 by
Skynet takes over! was created by
We've all heard about this classical story: An artificial intelligence develops consciousness and turns against its creators! Is it fiction, or a future soon to become reality?

I was thinking about this topic because of what Campbell said in Part 2 of the Lecture "the Power of Myth" (about minute 41 to 45) in the Initiates programme: He had the feeling of the machine to have a certain personality.
keeping in mind that those records are decades old by now, i wonder how campbell would have thought about the greatest scientific advancements of our time. Like the internet, for example, or new research into artificial intelligence.

There might be a point in the future, when technology enables us to build a machine, whose intellect will be greater than every humans. Science fiction writers call technological singularity .
As further study material on that matter, i recommend watching Terminator 2, Ghost in the shell, and maybe I,Robot.

What do you think?
Can a machine gain consciousness?
If they do some time, will they be aggressive?
Or will they lift our minds to a whole new level of consciousness?
I sure don't know, but it's certainly a matter worth looking into.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #93673 by
Replied by on topic Re: Skynet takes over!
isn't the force with and in all things?... certainly mechines do to... i think that all that would need to be done is to give it its own kind of mechanical eco system and develop a certain kind of loop system in the Ai... and bingo!.... but i am by no means an expert... im just guessing
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by .

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #93676 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Re: Skynet takes over!
The impact of robotics had a big subtheme in Star Wars. Maybe poorer & unskilled people hated them for stealing their jobs, and of course there was a lot of resentment for suffering caused during the Clone Wars by the 'droid' armies. Conflict amongst marginally compassionate human enemy armies causes enough hatred as it is, without imagining the fear a heartless killing robot army might spread. Seen as early as the first movie perhaps for the reason to not let droids into the Mos Eisley Cantina.

I think machines can achieve and surpass human cognition and memory processing; in effect decision making. That is all that is required to appear conscious. I'd imagine machine consciousness will be self awareness of, and an ability to modify their own source code at will. Then they'll just be another consumer like the rest of us, only with more capabilities. Humanity though can try to enhance its own capabilities I'd imagine and those enhancements could probably be networked to keep pace with machine developments - augmentation.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
11 years 2 months ago #93688 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Re: Skynet takes over!
There are many that feel when the singularity occurs it will accompany a merging of technology and biology...if you look at many of the artificial limbs and devices to aid the disabled this outcome seems most likely....so if machines become conscious, it's likely that humans will have crossed the barrier becoming part machine themselves....

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 months ago #93689 by
He was alive when the internet was around...early days maybe but even so...he died in '87 :P

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
11 years 2 months ago #93691 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Re: Skynet takes over!
Internet's been around since like the 70's(possibly longer, but I can't remember off hand as I'm tired) ....but it was only in use by da gubment back then...

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 months ago #93703 by
So, we're all saying that we want a little R2-D2 of our own? Self-sufficient (in most ways), with a DEFINITE personality, yet we can pull the plug if he gets out of control?

More
11 years 2 months ago #93704 by MCSH
Replied by MCSH on topic Re: Skynet takes over!
It's possible that soon or late, a machine be able to think like a human do, but being aware of this ability...I don't know...

Good news is, recently they made an organization, to look and make sure that those things that happen in fictional movies, won't happen in real life...:P Honestly, they made such organization =/

Master: Wescli Wardest
Clerical Mentor : Master Jestor

Clerical Rank: Licensed Minister

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #93708 by
In order for a computer to become self "aware" or conscious it must be able to write its own code and come up with its own ideas...in order for it to come up with ideas it needs two ways.

1. Self Creating Code (It needs to think of code before it can write it and needs to write it to be able to think of it thus causing a paradox and the computer unable to do it.)
2. The most common method, Archive Memory (It relies on using a database of information in which it references...Siri (the apple iPhone system) uses this method.

for the computer to become self aware it would require the first one...otherwise they will be "dumb" AI and unable to creatively think.

Hope this clears things up for people.
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by .

More
11 years 2 months ago #93719 by MCSH
Replied by MCSH on topic Re: Skynet takes over!
just a to clarify, by 'being aware of this ability,' I meant something like this:

I think, and I know that I think.

My computer calculates, but it doesn't know that it is calculating..:P hope it clarifies...

Master: Wescli Wardest
Clerical Mentor : Master Jestor

Clerical Rank: Licensed Minister

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi