Astronomers about to discover a first alien civilization?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #205556 by
MAJOR SCIENTIFIC DISCOVERY
THIS IS NOT SCIENCE FICTION

A credible scientific journal, The Atlantic, reported in an article dated from the 13 October 2015, that a group of astronomers might have observed, over an extended period of time, which could be multiples signs of alien intelligent life. Everyone should read this: The Most Mysterious Star in Our Galaxy .

Personally I expect a discover like this for over decades.

Are we going to meet them one day?

Will we become, with them, the first intelligent civilizations to form the Galactic Republic of the Milky Way?

Who knows?

MTFBWY

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #205559 by Br. John
That link is not working for me. It may be a temporary thing. There's more about it here https://www.reddit.com/r/UnresolvedMysteries/comments/3op0c6/a_new_astronomical_mystery_the_most_mysterious/ .

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #205560 by
Sorry the link did not work for you, I just test it, and it works for me ...

Thank you for the other link.

MTFBWY
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by .

More
8 years 6 months ago #205561 by Edan
I think it's a bit premature to assume it's alien life, though it is interesting.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #205563 by
I agree with you Edan, since it is only a presumption in the article .... and even in my enthusiasm ;)

And despite the demonstrated enthusiasm, I think I have remained fairly faithful to the theory discussed by the scientists.

Then, as every philosopher would do, I speculated by my questions about the subject.

MTFBWY

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #205596 by
This can definitely be confirmed once China completes their radio telescope
http://www.foodworldnews.com/articles/43590/20151013/china-fast-five-hundred-meter-aperture-spherical-telescope-skyeye-1-china-space-program-qiannan-guizhou-province-nan-rendong-arecibo-observatory-space-superpower.htm

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #205597 by
Admittedly I have a hard time not jumping on the alien bandwagon. Too much Science Fiction as a child I guess. :laugh:

No matter what it really is it's pretty exciting. It's something that we've never seen before and that's always great for science.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #205600 by
The Atlantic (which I do like to read, admittedly) is a literature/culture magazine, not a scientific journal. And the actual paper published by the scientists suggests that the most likely explanation is "the passage of a family of exocomet fragments, all of which are associated with a single previous breakup event."

Phil Plait's excellent article does explain why this is worth looking into and is exciting, but it's not exactly putting us on the verge of discovering extraterrestrial life.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #205601 by
Agreed, it's probably not the work of alien intelligence.

But cool that it's something so dimly understood that the possibility of an extra-planetary alien civilisation is being discussed by those who produced the paper, even if it turns out to be something else new or otherwise curious.

How often do you get to realistically suggest aliens as a possible scenario for something observed that far away?

...although what we'd have to offer a race that far along in terms of an alliance, idk...

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #205602 by
To Adi Vas and tzb: In all things and at all times, I keep an open mind to the possibilities ... until proven otherwise. ;)

And it is exactly in this spirit that I report the news but added, very distinctly, my expectations and hopes. B)

MTFBWY

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi