Delusion

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #75422 by
Delusion was created by
"When you are deluded and full of doubt, even a thousand books of scripture are not enough.
When you have realized understanding, even one word is too much." —FEN-YANG

I thought this would be an interesting topic to bring up for philosophical discussion, as I know there's a lot implied in the quote, and possibly some misunderstanding.

It kind of goes back to Lao Tzu's original statement: Those who know do not speak; those who speak do not know. I personally do not take this literally. It would be foolish of a Jedi to simply stop talking so that they would be seen as all-knowing. However, I find that, as the quote goes, brevity is the soul of wit. To make one's point in fewer words is usually more efficient than writing an essay.

Well that's my take on it. What do you think about the quote?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #75446 by
Replied by on topic Re: Delusion
Enough.
:)

And, thank you.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #75451 by
It's like zen, emptiness. The silence is what is most profound and the most revealing.

It is government that uses many words, dresses up the manikin in the window to suck you in. Yet that is what religion and philosophy is, a dressing up of what is in the window. Many words or few, can be the most profound. There are so many ways sometimes to say the same issue, yet one way can work for another and the other will not.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
11 years 5 months ago #75455 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Re: Delusion
I got into a debate on facebook about understanding...

The common thinking of, "If you cant explain it to a 6 year old, then you dont understand it" comes to mind...

I can sit here, and be quiet and act all wise (maybe I am napping on my keyboard... lol), or, I could open my mouth and prove otherwise... lol...

It is what you are saying that is important...

Somewhere, and I think it was in the intro to the audiobook of the Tao Te Ching I something like:

"The Master has little use for words, but, when he needs to use them, they flow from him with ease."

The quote you used, in my opinion, translated to:

When you are in doubt, no answer will suffice, and you will continue to look...

When you are no longer in doubt, one word to explain what you already know, is just repetition...

And, I agree...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest,

More
11 years 5 months ago #75458 by Alexandre Orion
Replied by Alexandre Orion on topic Re: Delusion
Tao Te Ching – 2

When people see some things as beautiful,
other things become ugly.
When people see some things as good,
other things become bad. Being and non-being create each other.
Difficult and easy support each other.
Long and short define each other.
High and low depend on each other.
Before and after follow each other. Therefore the Master
acts without doing anything
and teaches without saying anything.
Things arise and she lets them come;
things disappear and she lets them go.
She has but doesn't possess,
acts but doesn't expect.
When her work is done, she forgets it.
That is why it lasts forever.

Explanations of understanding are as everything else to which wu wei pertains ; it does not signify "no action" or "no words" but neither inappropriate actions nor words. Of course we must communicate, but only to the extent where we are communicating. Sometimes when we talk, it is 'ego-advertisement'. That would best be avoided ...

"Words have the capacity to destroy or to heal ; when they are just and generous, they can change the World." -- attributed to the Buddha.

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
11 years 5 months ago #75459 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Re: Delusion
Thank You Alexandre...

I saw that in my quick scan for what I was looking for...

In the intro on my audio version of the Tao Te Ching, there was a brief history of Lao Tze...

According to the version on which I studied, Lao Tze was on his way out of town on a trip... The border guard recognized him, and as for some words of wisdom...

That was one of them... (if I remember correctly) And there were a couple of others wrote, and that was before the Tao Te Ching was told...

He was also compared to Sun Tzu, and Confucious, and their eras, and lifetimes looked at real briefly...

I am going to go on an active search fopr that version, hopefully, it is on my old iPhone still, and I can find a print version of it...

Like all old manuscripts, the translation can lead to discrepancies sometimes, and other translators leave things out... I really loved the version I used, as well as the orator... He had a nice deep voice... Sounded like a white, James Earl Jones... lol...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #75464 by
Yes, I kind of see your point alexandre:

The Power of Now: "Most human relationships consist of minds interacting with each other. Not of human beings communicating; being in communion"

For some reason I need it worded like that to really feel safe with this type of philosophy though... if you know what I mean.

By the way have you seen Jackofalltrades around here? If you see him can you tell me I'm looking for him?

More
11 years 5 months ago #75474 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Re: Delusion
The true essence of anything cannot be explained through words...we can only understand something truly by feeling, experiencing...

B.Div | OCP

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #75475 by
Well the words themselves aren't neccessarilarly lacking. It's simply when words are the only basis for a relationship that it becomes a source of suffering.

Words themselves can infact be a great way to communicate.

Note: "...human beings comunicating, being in communion..."

More
11 years 5 months ago #75478 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Re: Delusion
Transcendence, for me describes the action but of course not the experience.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi