Hellenic Pagan Jedi?

More
10 years 7 months ago #118684 by Lykeios Little Raven
Am I the only one hereabouts? I'm a Hellenic Polytheist reconstructionist but would be interested to find any Hellenic pagan Jedi (recon or not). I see a lot of more eclectic and "earth-based" traditions around but not many obvious Hellenes.

I feel that Hellenismos, especially in re: Greek philosophy, meshes very coherently with Jediism and would love to hear opinions on the subject! Even if you are not Hellenic, I'd be happy to hear from you!

“Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.” -Zhuangzi

“Though, as the crusade presses on, I find myself altogether incapable of staying here in saftey while others shed their blood for such a noble and just cause. For surely must the Almighty be with us even in the sundering of our nation. Our fight is for freedom, for liberty, and for all the principles upon which that aforementioned nation was built.” - Patrick “Madman of Galway” O'Dell

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 7 months ago #118721 by
Replied by on topic Hellenic Pagan Jedi?
Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to take some Hellenic parables and work them to fit the Path.

That being said, Prometheus has a special place in my heart and future altar, as I love the story and the imagery.

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #118739 by Lykeios Little Raven

Williamkaede wrote: Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to take some Hellenic parables and work them to fit the Path.

That being said, Prometheus has a special place in my heart and future altar, as I love the story and the imagery.

Challenge accepted! The first one that comes to mind is the "creation" according to Hesiod and his Theogeny. I love this creation myth and its really more of a "Big Bang" myth than anything!

In the start there was only Khaos (energy, Force, potential, Tao). Khaos spawned Erebos (the place of darkness and death) and Night. Then, Love was generated out of this Force/Khaos and Love gave birth to Light, Day, and Gaea, the earth. It goes on from there, but this reminds me a lot of the Force and the scientific Big Bang theory. We start with nothing but chaos and emptiness and then, out of nowhere, we have things. These things are still disorganized and chaotic until finally, there are orders and laws set down by the Titans. Then, the Titans are overthrown by the Gods who rule over the cosmos and humanity both justly and somewhat tyrannically. The beginning always makes me think of the Force/Tao. Its name is different (Khaos) but its the same primordial potential energy that flows through us all to this day.

I could think of other ones, but that's the first one that came to mind!

Also, Prometheos is awesome! He was chained to a rock for centuries with eagles and vultures eating his regenerative liver and still wanted to help humanity. How epic is that?

“Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.” -Zhuangzi

“Though, as the crusade presses on, I find myself altogether incapable of staying here in saftey while others shed their blood for such a noble and just cause. For surely must the Almighty be with us even in the sundering of our nation. Our fight is for freedom, for liberty, and for all the principles upon which that aforementioned nation was built.” - Patrick “Madman of Galway” O'Dell
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by Lykeios Little Raven. Reason: error
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brenna

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 months ago #129607 by
please stop saying pagan... you're hellenic, you're a polytheist, you hold to a structured belief. You aren't pagan. The word meant not of said belief, just not. Not christian for christians. Not muslim for muslims or jew for jew. Kermetic etc etc.

You aren't saying anything when you say "pagan".

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
10 years 4 months ago #129613 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Hellenic Pagan Jedi?

sidvkili wrote: please stop saying pagan... you're hellenic, you're a polytheist, you hold to a structured belief. You aren't pagan. The word meant not of said belief, just not. Not christian for christians. Not muslim for muslims or jew for jew. Kermetic etc etc.

You aren't saying anything when you say "pagan".

And you quit trying to tell people how to identify themselves...;)

You can debate the topic, via post or PM all you like...

But you have the right to your opinion, but not tell people they are wrong...;)

MAybe ask for clarification, and afterwards, you might agree with there self definition... Then again, you may not....

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lykeios Little Raven, MCSH, Kit, Avalon, Zenchi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 months ago #129620 by
Lykeios, thanks for starting a forum thread topic that is close to my heart.

Without proper development, I suggest several Jedi/Presocratic themes:

Psyche : this concept is not uniform across various ancient Greek authors, but in Heraclitus, for example, to know the psyche is relevant to knowing the structure of the cosmos. Some ancient Greek philosophers posit the psyche as composed of the same ‘material’ as the cosmos, that is, aither (aether).

While aether and The Force may share some similarities worthy of further investigation, it is Herclitus' concept of the logos that is integral to my personal understanding and practice of Jediism. Logos is the structure of the cosmos, how it does what it does, and so it follows that its structure informs our moral attitude, that is, the logos is the wisdom that informs how we think and act in our daily lives. My Jediism is syncretic, and so, at the confluence of logos and aether I find a striking resonance with the Dao.

Tangent: it is helpful to remember that Greek myth has literary similarities to other near eastern sources including Babylonian, Hittite and Egyptian. All these source materials found their way into Greek myth and they also influenced the myths of the ancient Hebrews and so found their way into the Hebrew Bible (Christian Old Testament).

Digression: perhaps those attracted to the Sith side of Jediism might find something of value in the personification of Night in Homer and Hesiod. Night and Aither are said to be the generative matrix from which all things come.

In Aristophanes', Birds, it is from Night and Chaos that all things are born; but it is Eros, as the primordial force that compels all these disparate originary forces to bring forth all things from their copulating. This most ancient Eros is the Titanic force that gives structure to the formless cosmos compelling all primordial forces to mingle and so generate everything that is. From this it could be conjectured that the power of Eros is what structures the logos (The Force).

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 months ago #129635 by
quote]

And you quit trying to tell people how to identify themselves...;)

You can debate the topic, via post or PM all you like...

But you have the right to your opinion, but not tell people they are wrong...;)

MAybe ask for clarification, and afterwards, you might agree with there self definition... Then again, you may not....
[/quote]

Thank You!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 months ago #129644 by
We all have our own direction with our view of what is Jedi, or even remotely Jedi related. I don't believe young Sid truly meant offence. It is the nature of our community to be individual...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 months ago #129659 by
Sid appears to use shock and drama to get attention? He does seem to have mellowed out a bit. He certainly has a sharp and dynamic brain.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
10 years 4 months ago #129664 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Hellenic Pagan Jedi?
He has...

Now, lets keep this thread on topic..:)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lykeios Little Raven

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi