Lightsabers/Swords

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
3 years 11 months ago #350837 by
Lightsabers/Swords was created by
Anyone practice swordspinning or dueling? I’ve been doing the hobby for about five years.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago #350838 by Kohadre
Replied by Kohadre on topic Lightsabers/Swords
Yup, although it's more of a warm-weather activity for me. Being that I live in the northern US, winter weather is somewhat prohibitive for outdoor activity; especially so for aerobic exercise since sweat increases the overall risk of hypothermia & frostbite.

So in the colder months I supplement that with adjustable hiking sticks and shorter edge weapons such as training/drill knives made from rubber/plastic.

I've found a great resource for learning to duel or sword-spin has been Force Storm Academy on YouTube, especially in the case of lightsaber forms such as Shii-Cho or Soresu.

So long and thanks for all the fish
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
3 years 11 months ago #350841 by Malicious
Replied by Malicious on topic Lightsabers/Swords
I have a few swords I bought and a few I made . I also have been training a few people in sword play , but we are using bamboo sticks instead of real swords .

=_= Malicious (+_+)

More
3 years 11 months ago #350843 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Lightsabers/Swords
I believe there are a number of threads on this topic, I suppose some helpful mod could merge this with one of them.

As far as OP goes - since you ask a nice closed question, I'll give you a nice closed answer.

"Yes"

I have no doubt that someone, somewhere, practices "sword spinning"

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
3 years 11 months ago #350855 by
Replied by on topic Lightsabers/Swords
I live in northeast USA, and during the winter I spin inside. Luckily I have a space. I corun a lightsaber academy called Kyber Academy. We have a Facebook page set up. I’m curious what people are working on. Myself it’s throws/catches and weaves. As for dueling, since classes are on hold, mostly drills.

More
3 years 11 months ago #350856 by Jhannuzs Ian
Replied by Jhannuzs Ian on topic Lightsabers/Swords
Hi Claiomh Solais

I practice double hand bo, but I'm curious if you want to comment on the implications of your movements, it would be interesting to know if you meditate and what kind of searches you do. Or if some martial art in parallel, allows you to create something else.

Stay Healthy

♪ ♫ ♪
Jedi Master: Rosalyn J
Focus, discipline, integriteit, kennis en licht
My code:
The Force is all, I choose my Focus
Life includes suffering, I am Resilient
The Force include my imagination, I extract Wisdom and Harmony
Life includes adversity, I obtain Knowledge
I respect your Life, lets revitalize our Force while breathing

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
3 years 11 months ago #350862 by
Hello Jhannizs Ian,

Your questions are intriguing. I am largely self taught as no one teaches the sword where I live. I learned from YouTube and traveling to events/workshops. When I’m working on learning a particular movement I am largely focused on just that. But there are times when I utilize everything I know in a series of spur of the moment movements. It’s dance like, but when I practice in that way my mind goes to another place. It’s the most effective form of meditation I know.

I’ve tried a few martial arts but nothing grabbed me. I am taking Jian classes online and hope to go to one of his workshops soon (Great River Taoist center).

For my own practice I pull from a variety of sources. Spinning, Kali, HEMA, and recently Jian. I deeply wish I could get in-person quality lessons a couple times a week but sadly no one teaches the style of sword play I want to learn. There is a local fencing group but they only teach Olympic style fencing and I am not a fan of those lunges.

Tell me more about what you practice. Do you do mostly spinning or martial arts?

More
3 years 11 months ago #350883 by Jhannuzs Ian
Replied by Jhannuzs Ian on topic Lightsabers/Swords
I combine jar'kai with my old kungfu training, including my karate approaches from the 80's ... And yes, sometimes it is like dancing while listening to my breathing and stopping my mind at will ... Sometimes is raw catharsis. But I don't always use objects like Hanbo. Today I ran in my park, then I wanted to remember Qigong sequences while performing Mahamudra, not the mantra yet a reflective Matrix without magic, except to test ideas. An idea exists?

Jian ... I just saw a video of Scott M. breaking an arrow with his sword, what do you think?

What style of swordplay do you really want to learn?

In addition to your progress in IP, what other topics are you interested in deepening?

♪ ♫ ♪
Jedi Master: Rosalyn J
Focus, discipline, integriteit, kennis en licht
My code:
The Force is all, I choose my Focus
Life includes suffering, I am Resilient
The Force include my imagination, I extract Wisdom and Harmony
Life includes adversity, I obtain Knowledge
I respect your Life, lets revitalize our Force while breathing

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #350898 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Lightsabers/Swords
I'm always thinking about it, the articulation of skeleton with staff, within the personal bubble. My 'standard' measure for this is the height above ground level of shoulder, projected outwards from the body.

Basically kinematics. Seeing self and other agents in those terms to 'compute' solutions. Not a dance routine, or a clash of strength, but a precise application.

A bit like social distancing perhaps :D :silly:

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Adder.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
3 years 11 months ago #350904 by
I've been interested since I was a child, but I'm in the same boat as you in that no one around me teaches swordsmanship. . .at least not that I know of.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi