wellbeing

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 3 months ago #347971 by
wellbeing was created by
i really dont know where to put this...idea.
i am not vying for attention, though i like it as much as anyone else. nor am i trying to be noticed by a TM.
but i do hope it helps.
i really dont know where to put this thought, so i picked here, under well being.
regardless, i think the thought has merit, and couldn't really thing of a better place to put it.
i hope it shines a light, i know it has me reconsider the obvious.
i will call it One Percent.
we live, most of us anyway, in a majority rules world. there is a reason and a good one for this.
i could get about US constitution...but that is really not the point.
the point is quite common. but i wonder how many of us actually pay attention to it. i think a jedi will perhaps pay a bit more than most.
i would hope that most of you know that the DNA of a monkey and human are 99 percent the same.
that is astounding. we are clearly not monkeys, nor are they us.
all for 1 percent DNA difference.
a well known adage is, 2 outta 3 aint bad....but thats 33 percent! and thats good?
well, lots of times it is. it beats one out of three.
so who really cares about 1 percent?
that one percent is what makes all the difference. not can, but does.
that one percent is why humans went to the moon, and not monkeys or chimps.
i am not a biologist, i am sure those of you who are forgive me for the sake of making a point.
that one percent is why we will soon venture to mars.
that one percent is why we have been outside of our solar system (voyager and pioneer missions) 3 times.
that one percent is why we seek to connect with the force.
no other creature even attempts this, though the force is just a real and binding through and around a chimp, or a monkey, or a snail, as it is us.
so pay attention to that one percent. when you are upset. or failed to meet a goal.
when you are 99 percent certain that you will fail, pay attention to the one percent.
one percent is all it takes to make magic happen!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 months ago #347975 by Skryym
Replied by Skryym on topic wellbeing
Intriguing thought, Ghosty. One percent can make an incredible difference in the world, but I don't think many of us will be able to use our own individual "one percents" to go to Mars.

One percent of our day can roughly be equated to fifteen minutes. Changing the world is a big idea, and big ideas need to start small. What can you do for fifteen minutes, every day, to change yourself?

There is no bad weather, only bad attitudes and bad attire. - Gandalf the Grey
TM: Loudzoo
Skryym's Novice Journal | Meditation Journal | Apprentice Journal | Skryym's 2022 IP Journal |
B.Div Journal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amaya, Kobos

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 3 months ago #347976 by
Replied by on topic wellbeing
i agree. that was sort of my point.
1 percent or 15 minutes requires a comparison.
i used mars as an example only.
i would respond by saying, what can one percent of 15 minutes do?
i would further respond that one percent of 15 minutes every day is small...but over time it equals a lot of time and a lot of change.
time is just something we humans invented anyway. it doesnt really exist.
it is necessary to us... i seek to move beyond that. statistics are very effective, but are still guesses.
as for myself, i will learn more. think more. and post more. share more.
if i understood 1 percent of the force, 15 percent of my life - that would be huge.
that is where i was headed with the whole thing.
hey, you are an apprentice lol. you out not be hangin out with the likes of me!
im kidding....
you are gonna be great knight. i can already tell.
some things...a person just knows.

More
4 years 3 months ago #347984 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic wellbeing
Humans actually are monkeys - or do at any rate qualify as members of the taxa elsewise filled with species that we traditionally used to refer to as monkeys, back when we didn't have a taxonomy that takes genetics into account. Granted, most monkeys are not humans though.

But that little nitpick aside, if I may ask... Just what makes going to the moon, or to Mars, or beyond the bounds of our solar system so special anyway, let alone virtuous? A hundred years ago neither goal would have been achieved, two hundred years ago they wouldn't even seem remotely realistic. And yet we were still raising our noses up above the lowly chimpanzee, proud to be ahead of them in so many ways already.
Forming habits and performing purely tradition-driven rituals has been observed in other ape species and mourning and ritualistically honouring the dead is something apes do, but also elephants, and even magpies. Extinct human and proto-human species have gone as far as burying their dead together with artifacts, possibly indicating that they believed in some existence after death.
We are unique in the extent to which we have developed many of those things. When it comes to abstract thinking we are more proficient at it, even the weakest among us, than any other living species on earth, and by no small margin. Meanwhile honey bees are so unique in their ability to produce honey that we named them after it. Silk worms uniquely produce silk threads. It wouldn't shock me to learn that there are insect species as close to them genetically as just one percent of difference, and that happen not to make either honey or silk. So yes, the one percent makes a difference, sometimes only in scope, sometimes even in foundation, but at the end of the day, every fraction contributes to that difference, and it matters to us as little or as much, in good ways or in bad ones, by not a lot other than how we look at it.

At the risk of derailing the thread so early... ghosty, what do you mean by time not really existing and statistics being guesses? It may arguably not be vital to the point you are making, but still, it sounds like you threw this out there like they are obvious things and also somewhat important in getting to the actual point. Would you kindly elaborate, if so to do is fair in this thread?

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amaya, Skryym, Kobos

More
4 years 3 months ago #347985 by Amaya
Replied by Amaya on topic wellbeing
that one percent is why we seek to connect with the force.
no other creature even attempts this, though the force is just a real and binding through and around a chimp, or a monkey, or a snail, as it is us

I disagree with this small point :)
I always figured its our 'one percent' that disconnects us from the force
If you think about it the animals around us live in harmony within the force, mainly because they dont question it, they dont necessarily seek to dominate or control things. They just exist naturally within the energy going about their lives.
Its humans with our minds, our brains our creativity, our spirituality that struggle so much to be 'me' in a world of other 'me's
We forget how to easily be
Blessing and a curse. We achieve so much and sometimes loose that basic trust in the force.

Good topic ghostly thanks

Everything is belief
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gisteron, Kobos

More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #347986 by Amaya
Replied by Amaya on topic wellbeing
Double post

Everything is belief
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by Amaya. Reason: Posted twice

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 3 months ago #348024 by
I actually used to keep honey bees - amazing creatures.
of course i do not worry about derailing the thread, thats why i threw it out there.
it was more a stream of consciousness thing, than a thesis.
and, im pretty sure humans are not monkeys, but that is not my point, nor yours if understand.
my initial point that if monkeys and humans share 99 percent of their DNA, then it seems that monkeys would have become space farers too - but they have not.t creatures of all sorts understand day and night, and even seasons.
but they do not create and measure as humans do. bees do not observe time zones. time, in our sense, is just that - in our sense.
we created it.
things would still change, whether or not we created "time" of course. but would they "expire" like a gallon of milk?
that one percent made all the difference that the 99 percent in common did not.
that is my overriding point.
feel free to derail if you wish! exchange of thoughts is a good thing!

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 3 months ago #348025 by
i agree with you elizabeth, as to the force being real outside of human experience. my point was that monkeys - who lack only one percent of our DNA do not study the force.
i doubt they are even aware of it.
the one percent can very well disconnect us, as well as it can unite us and the force also.
i was mainly using monkeys in a metaphorical sense, though i suppose it could be used literally as well.
i was trying to start a conversation that i felt had merit enough to explore - it seems i succeeded!
ALL replies are welcomed and considered by myself anyway.
i rather liked skyyrms reply....it kind of sneaks up on me, how he used time, which i rather disregarded as important, and pointed out that 1 percent of a day is 15 minutes. what could i use this 15 minutes for? a really good idea that i was not even my intent.
i very much like your reply as well, and appreciate the time and thought.
i hope all of us continue to discuss things such as this!

More
4 years 3 months ago #348030 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic wellbeing

ghosty wrote: ... im [sic] pretty sure humans are not monkeys, but that is not my point, nor yours if understand.

It isn't. Just a nitpick at another throwaway line. You are right in that normally, traditionally, the term monkey referred to all simians except apes (and thus humans). For purposes of consistency, however, modern taxonomies try to avoid defining clades by exception, so as to better reflect the underlying genetics. The closest term to "monkey" would be "simian" or the clade "simiiformes". All apes, including humans, are members of that infraorder. Interestingly, just so as to not call humans monkeys (and for no other reason), the old world monkeys are grouped on the level of family - as opposed to the ape family, but the five families of new world monkeys together form a parvorder, a sister to the parvorder that includes gibbons, great apes, and old world monkeys. Then again, the 99% genetic similarity is at most found with great apes anyway, not with old world monkeys.

my initial point that if monkeys and humans share 99 percent of their DNA, then it seems that monkeys would have become space farers too - but they have not.

Why would they have, though? You and I have genomes even more similar to other humans than any monkey does, yet neither of us are rocket engineers or space travellers. I for one could probably not even sail the waters between us. Of course, both of us could probably learn these things, at least in principle, with little effort or with lots. And most monkeys, you reckon, couldn't, which is fair enough. But if that is unexpected given our genetic similarity, how dissimilar would an organism have to be for this to be no surprise at all anymore? Bear in mind, many rodents still share well over 90% of our genome, and many insects hover somewhere in the 40-50% range. Where exactly is that line between space-farer and non-space-farer, and how come that humans half a millennium ago were not exploring outer space, if their genes were virtually indistinguishable from our own?

creatures of all sorts understand day and night, and even seasons.
but they do not create and measure as humans do. bees do not observe time zones. time, in our sense, is just that - in our sense.
we created it.
things would still change, whether or not we created "time" of course. but would they "expire" like a gallon of milk?

If all humans were to die out tomorrow, a gallon of milk would still carry on growing old, turning sour and fouling away, as bacteria kept eating and decomposing it. There wouldn't be any human around to count the hours, nor to mark the day on the calendar whenceforth the gallon shall be considered as "expired", but as you say, things would still change. Time would still carry on, even time dilation due to relativity would, regardless of whether there is any human to put a frame to it. The units exist for our convenience. But if there was no sense in making such assessments, we wouldn't have come to travel through space because of such inventions.

that one percent made all the difference that the 99 percent in common did not.
that is my overriding point.

What if that one percent just happens to be the one you most focus on, because the rest are not different and just not interesting? Genes do not live in isolation. Their share bodies with other genes. Sure, a lot of our genome is not coding for function, but the portion that does cannot help but function as a whole, so much so, that to even say what a "gene" is proves to be a profoundly difficult challenge if the final definition is to withstand any sort of rigorous application.

As I asked before, I don't see what's so special about space travel or - for that matter - even eating with forks. If that is all the difference we can point to, than little difference there is indeed. But even with so little difference as there is, surely the part of it that is by nature rather than nurture would have come about through much a greater part of the whole genome than the very few special human-ness genes.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amaya

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 3 months ago #348060 by
i refuse to belabor this point with you any further. its clear that you only want to contradict, and intellectually unable to consider what i am saying.
as to your pompous (sic) correction, id like to point out that you could do with learning the difference between "then" and "than."
..."even eating with forks. If that is all the difference we can point to, than little difference there is indeed"....
additonally, my status as a rocket scientist is unknown to you.
as is my knowledge of the term simian.
our conversation is ended.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi