Equal Protection for all Religion?

• Jestor
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 2 months ago #175090 by Jestor

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago #175095 by Edan
I saw this... there's a double standard here but it's not really surprising. The Satanic Temple no doubt expected some kind of damage but they shouldn't have to. Freedom of religion is just that.. whatever religion.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Carlos.Martinez3

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 2 months ago #175098 by
It seems that when most people talk about having freedom what they really want is their opinions and views to be the only ones. People don't seem to like the idea of freedom for opposing views. This kind of thinking inevitably leads to everything being banned rather than everything being accepted, which is worse still.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 2 months ago #175100 by
While I support the freedom to believe in and practice whatever religion one chooses for themselves, I have a hard time understanding why people feel the need to express their religious beliefs in ways that are meant to insight trouble. Religion done properly should be highly personal. Is either display really necessary?

I'm all about committing myself to Jediism and supporting the Jedi community, but I see no point in demanding the right to publicly piss off people who don't agree with me. If someone is curious, they can ask. Otherwise, I'll practice my religious freedom while keeping it to myself.

• Jestor
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 2 months ago #175111 by Jestor
Yes...

Freedom of religion is just that.. whatever religion.

You'd think, lol...

Its not that the "religion" itself (Christianity in this case) is intolerant, but rather indivduals who follow the religion, seem to kind get confused......

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Edan, Carlos.Martinez3,

More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #175147 by Gisteron
I do not speak for satanists, the Satanic Temple nor for any other atheists nor - and this is something people often don't understand - do they speak for the rest of atheists. Same goes for the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. However...

The first ammendment to the US constitution guarantees that no religious practice or expression will be prohibited because of its religious association. Being offended doesn't grant anyone rights nor take them away from anyone else.
I personally don't find that the capitol is a place to raise religious symbols and so do a lot of my fellow atheists, although I urge to attribute activities by the Satanic Temple to them and not make this about satanists or atheists in general. I also urge to distinguish between the two: While there is an overlap, in particular many satanists are also atheists, not all of them are, and only a few atheists are satanists. Anyway, the display the Satanic Temple made was of course provocative though perfectly within Florida regulations - which is exactly the point. It perfectly illustrated that religion is indeed a private thing and has no place in the public square. The moment you allow any of it to have a display in the capitol, you have to allow all of them to have one. And if you do so, there won't be anybody left you will not have offended. Since you have to treat them all equally and cannot just allow some while prohibit others you are much better off keeping them all out of the capitol altogether. Is that banning religion? I don't think so. I think that is what separation of church and state is there for. And only if the state is free of religion can its people be free to it.

Now, as for intolerance of religion vs intolerance of religious adherents... Either you define the religion by what its adherents do or by what its dogma teaches or both. In the case of Christianity neither the text nor the faithful are consistently tolerant of those who are not part of it, though the latter arguably are more tolerant than the former. The crowd that is most outspoken isn't the kindest and mildest crowd. The crowd that forms the bulk might not be quite that outspoken but won't condemn the unkind crowd. The crowd of intellectuals who sincerely believe and "let live" is growing ever smaller though it has never before been a significant subset. If you want to argue that religion in general is not intolerant this probably will get down to what you mean by religion. If you want to argue that Christianity in particular isn't, this probably will get down to what you mean by tolerance. However, whatever your action might be, what causes it is never the not-believing that you have a holy mission.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by Gisteron.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
9 years 2 months ago #175173 by Alethea Thompson
Should have just made it so that -no- religion could set a display. Problem solved.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 2 months ago #175174 by
That would certainly appease the atheist non-religious types, which I think would be good since I think religious people can forget that there are people out there with no gods and no religion.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 2 months ago #175179 by

While I support the freedom to believe in and practice whatever religion one chooses for themselves, I have a hard time understanding why people feel the need to express their religious beliefs in ways that are meant to insight trouble. Religion done properly should be highly personal.

That is exactly right. I maybe reading this article wrong however as I read it there is not satanic cult instead it was the atheist way of getting their pound of flesh. Further, it was not ok last year so they threatened legal action to get this displayed.

With that being said it is also problematic that the lady did not have enough distress tolerance to not attach anthers religious offering. In fact if the atheist were looking for attention then this lady sure seems to be the catalysis for that.

I absolutely agree with Senan that religion/spirituality when done well is highly personal and returns its practitioners to the eternal now.

More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #175190 by Carlos.Martinez3
Another example of radicals lost to "their" own way of thinking and calling it holy.The real story to me is the battle for attention. Sadly they both got it but blemished both sides

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by Carlos.Martinez3.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi