16 things NOT to do if you’re an online XYZ

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #203422 by

and i believe there actually is a market for people who offer positive, insightful, HONEST commentary - even if they arent dressed up in glitter and flashing lights

Yes, but it's small.

You want to incite mass change? Be like Bernie Sanders. Dude is a lovable old man with a purpose. And, he's burning the skies with his message. Maybe not the classic appeal, but a little old man with fire in his gut is somebody I'd listen to. Same with this attractive female Dalai Lama. Same with a well-dressed business man.

But, at the end of the day, nobody listens to the homeless man on the street corner. Nobody listens to the religious zealot.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #203430 by Alexandre Orion
Here's the thing : although the world is dominated by a market-driven consumer-fueled economy (and how's that working out for the vast majority ?), the Jedi Way is not a marketable item - and it never should become one. We are not out to attract customers, to please and maintain a clientele nor to even get the Word out. Jedi need no missionaries.

OB1 was correct in pointing out that saying what needs to be said is more important than people pleasing is ; saying what needs to be said consistently is even more valuable.

The question isn't about who is speaking, but who is listening. Do masses listen ? or do individuals ? In an assembly of 1000, it is that only one person may actually get the message. Does that make the message less valuable ?

As Jestor was alluding to, the Jedi are not out to unplug people from the Matrix, nor to free slaves : we render our service to everyone no matter how 'plugged-in' or 'asleep' they are. We may bring in them and take care of them when they (start to) 'wake up' - and ask us for help - but until then, we need to consider their lives as just fine without this. We cannot bring the 'beneath the surface' up to the 'superficial' people by way of advertising. Anything that appeals to the masses is not going to be real, it will be Disneyland.

We do not have to put any effort into "growth" for Jedi-ism ; that should not be our aim. It would kill it ...

As such, we do not need sexy, charismatic nor popular celebrity Jedi.

:whistle:

Of course, you can try if you want to ...

... just be quite clear to yourself as to why you want to. ;)

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Alexandre Orion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Proteus, Edan, OB1Shinobi, Loudzoo

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #203441 by
I'm not being a proponent of commercializing spirituality. I'm of the same mind that Obi and you are. I'm trying to explain the Dalai Lama's position. It's possible that I'm misunderstanding what he's saying. Lol.

• Jestor
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
8 years 6 months ago #203448 by Jestor

Connor L. wrote: I'm not being a proponent of commercializing spirituality. I'm of the same mind that Obi and you are. I'm trying to explain the Dalai Lama's position. It's possible that I'm misunderstanding what he's saying. Lol.

See, I responded to your post, and had yet to listen to what the DL said...

I responded on Reddit, and will quote my response here:

TheJestorN.R.M wrote: [–]. 1 point 6 minutes ago

As a white person who has spent much (many years, 5 hours a day, 5-6 days a week) one-on-one time with an Asian man in his 70's, I feel that there is much lost in translation...

Every single person in the world is beautiful, despite the joke cracking, and snarky comments...

I read his comments as: She will be pretty/beautiful. because that is the nature of things...

It is not that, "she must as a prerequisite, but rather she will be due to the beauty of all things...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion, OB1Shinobi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #203450 by
*nods* That's probably more akin to what he means.

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #203480 by OB1Shinobi
one of the messages that i would like to promote is that we are the new media

i dont have the reach of a major network obviously, but in the course of like a forty or fifty yr internet presence there is no telling how many people i may influence with the ideas that i express and endorse

this includes the messages and kinds of messages that i accept as well

i cant change the whole world, but some tiny little percentage of the www is made either better or worse for how i carry myself; for what i pursue and for what i encourage

i do understand that we see the wrapper before the candy
and that many will judge the second by the look of the first

im with you - i agree that this is how things are

i think that my response to "pander to the crowd" would be to choose which crowd we want to pander to

also i am reminded of the bill hicks routine about the evil of marketers

language!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwVlAlTbncQ

i dont necessarily endorse his recommended solution, but i agree to a great extent with his analysis

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi