Its time to reclaim religion

More
7 years 3 months ago #270577 by Rosalyn J
I watched this TED Talk and thought you would find it interesting.

Sharon Brous: It's time to reclaim religion
https://go.ted.com/CyyR

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2AkfgkoSMNU

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson, steamboat28, Avalon, Loudzoo

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #270596 by
Replied by on topic Its time to reclaim religion
Thank you, Ros. Rabbi Brous has a refreshing grasp on the purpose of religion (or maybe what the purpose of religion should be).

More
7 years 3 months ago #270619 by Breeze el Tierno
So, are we up to answer this call?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #270626 by
I am! I loved this video.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #270632 by
I agree its time to reclaim the concept of religion and ritual.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #270640 by
I'm all for helping those in need, but when she started getting hyperpolitical and using every buzzword she could think of at the end it really turned me off to what she was trying to say.

I think her earlier message was great about religions revitalizing and coexisting without falling into stagnation. I believe churches should do more to help their community in general. Many do great work already, but I have been too many churches who make good money from donations, and instead of cleaning the neighborhood they use it to paint their parking lot or buy more plasma TVs for their lobby.

The problem I have with this speech is that she is taking issues that have two sides to the story such as BLM, and Aleppo, and she insinuates that if you do not want to act on those things that you are in the wrong. That's a very arrogant way of looking at things if you do not have all the facts.

Anyways. Fighting for things you believe in is a very noble thing to do, just don't guilt people for not believing in the same things that you do.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #270645 by
I could not agree more with her statements in this video. I am setting here after just watching the ball drop for New Years Eve contemplating how much better this world would be if Jediism was more widespread and the tenets of respecting all life simply because they are also part of the Force as we are. I am making my resolution to be more open and understanding to all people I come in contact with from this point onward. Thank you for sharing this video, I have much to meditate upon tonight as this is the Day of Reflection.
May you all have a year of Peace and Love for all.
May the Force be with you.
-Tiano

More
7 years 3 months ago #270646 by Tellahane

Tiano Kenda wrote: I could not agree more with her statements in this video. I am setting here after just watching the ball drop for New Years Eve contemplating how much better this world would be if Jediism was more widespread...

Be mindful of that thought process, I think what you are aiming for is how much better the world would be if some of the ideals of Jediism was more wide spread, we don't need to turn into an evangelistic organization, there are plenty of spiritual paths that co-exist just fine with Jediism, need not decide for the world what would be ideal per say.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zenchi, Cyan Sarden

More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #270647 by Rosalyn J
As Tellahane explained above, it might be more useful to be exemplary

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by Rosalyn J.

More
7 years 3 months ago #270667 by steamboat28

Sirch Nayr wrote: The problem I have with this speech is that she is taking issues that have two sides to the story such as BLM, and Aleppo, and she insinuates that if you do not want to act on those things that you are in the wrong. That's a very arrogant way of looking at things if you do not have all the facts.

Just because an issue has two sides doesn't mean those sides are equal.
The following user(s) said Thank You: J. K. Barger, Avalon,

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi