The Mormons...

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 6 months ago #6946 by
The Mormons... was created by
alright. I am taking a survey for seminary and for my sunday school studies. I would like to know what everyone thinks about the Mormons. What do you know about us? What have you heard about us? What is your personal opinion of the Mormons? I'm not going to attack you for saying outlandish things, or stating that you utterly contempt Mormons and want us all to burn in hell. I'm just taking a survey to see what others know so that i can know how to help the church devise a way to better understand us.

*on a very serious note*
if you are just going to attack us about the Mountain Meadows Massacre, or have seen September Dawn...please PM me personally about that, don't post that garbage in the forums. I will explain the event and what actually happend as i have been there and studied it greatly so i can help others understand the event to. i'm not justifying it at all...but i would like to explain the REAL side of what is going on with that. If you have no clue what i am talking about....good, i hope you never find out.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 6 months ago #6950 by
Replied by on topic Re:The Mormons...
My partner is a Mormon. He is excommunicated from the Church, and cannot be reinstated because he and I are in a committed same-sex relationship. But he loves the Church, attends regularly at his ward, and is trying to live as faithfully as he can as a Latter-day Saint.

Here's his blog: youngstranger.blogspot.com

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 6 months ago #6953 by
My wife knows so much more than I, as she was raised a Mormon. Around age 16-17, she picked her own path that did not include the Mormon church. I have a good bit of \"common knowledge\" from my studies of world religions.

• Neaj Pa Bol
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • Faith is daring the soul to go beyond what the eyes can see...
More
16 years 6 months ago #6959 by Neaj Pa Bol
Replied by Neaj Pa Bol on topic Re:The Mormons...
The term \"Jack\" Mormon is an outside term but widely known is what you could call my Husband, daughter and myself. We were all converts and not born into the church. But if you ask my daughter, she wants nothing to do with the church due to incidents with girls from our old ward when she was in High School. (Details are not needed)

There are lots of things not known about Mormons, just as I feel theres not much that they know deeply about other religions unless you are a Theology student, etc., that learns about other religions.

The Doctrine & Covenent is stricked and to some the Pearl of Great Price along with the Book of Mormon in some views and the life style
is not understood. Mormons of today are not they Polygamists of approx.150 years ago. But like all religions, the preception of the written word is understood to each person as they interpret in their point of view.

The precept of Polygimy (sp?) is followed only by Mormons of an outcast sect, FLDS (Fundimentalist Latter Day Saints). There is a Third group called, RLDS (Reformed Latter Day Saints). This group was started by Joseph Smith's eldest son after he was killed by the mob of people. His son believed that the power of prophecy is
handed down from father to son, FLDS do as well for their Prophets. But the church members of the Quorum of Twelve under Joseph
Smith called on Brigham Young after prayer and thought. They believed it was God's decision as to who was to be the next prophet, as where Joseph Smith's son disagreed along with some other members and the Reform Church was started.

Todays teachings in the church are centered around the Book of Mormon and the Bible and the D & C, though more of the BOM is talked about. The LDS church is strong on family as well as procreation.

There are stories of things that the Mormons supposidly believe, like the thirteenth tribe was taken away from earth to Kobol and will someday return. Yes, I have heard this. In my own beliefs, I do not under estimate my Heavenily Father in what is to be or will be and leave that to him.

I concur with Perris that responses to this post should be kept on a positive side and no bashing. (See \"Rules for the Forum\")

Hope this helps a little Perris or PM me with questions and I'll answer the best I can...

Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Let the improvement of yourself keep you so busy that you have no time to criticize others. Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

Participated in the making of the book, “The Jedi Compass”with 2 articles.

For today I serve so that tomorrow I may serve again. One step, One Vow, One Moment... Too always remember it is not about me... Master Neaj Pa Bol

Faith is daring the soul to go beyond what the eyes can see...

Faith is a journey, not a guilt trip...

Quiet your emotions to find inner peace. Learn from ignorance to foster knowledge.
Enjoy your passions but be immersed in serenity. Understand the chaos to see the harmony.
Life and death is to be one with the Force.

Apprentice's: Master Zanthan Storm, Jaxxy (Master Rachat et Espoir (Bridgette Barker))

• Neaj Pa Bol
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
More
16 years 6 months ago #6960 by Neaj Pa Bol
The term \"Jack\" Mormon is an outside term but widely known is what you could call my Husband, daughter and myself. We were all converts and not born into the church. But if you ask my daughter, she wants nothing to do with the church due to incidents with girls from our old ward when she was in High School. (Details are not needed)

There are lots of things not known about Mormons, just as I feel theres not much that they know deeply about other religions unless you are a Theology student, etc., that learns about other religions.

The Doctrine & Covenent is stricked and to some the Pearl of Great Price along with the Book of Mormon in some views and the life style
is not understood. Mormons of today are not they Polygamists of approx.150 years ago. But like all religions, the preception of the written word is understood to each person as they interpret in their point of view.

The precept of Polygimy (sp?) is followed only by Mormons of an outcast sect, FLDS (Fundimentalist Latter Day Saints). There is a Third group called, RLDS (Reformed Latter Day Saints). This group was started by Joseph Smith's eldest son after he was killed by the mob of people. His son believed that the power of prophecy is
handed down from father to son, FLDS do as well for their Prophets. But the church members of the Quorum of Twelve under Joseph
Smith called on Brigham Young after prayer and thought. They believed it was God's decision as to who was to be the next prophet, as where Joseph Smith's son disagreed along with some other members and the Reform Church was started.

Todays teachings in the church are centered around the Book of Mormon and the Bible and the D & C, though more of the BOM is talked about. The LDS church is strong on family as well as procreation.

There are stories of things that the Mormons supposidly believe, like the thirteenth tribe was taken away from earth to Kobol and will someday return. Yes, I have heard this. In my own beliefs, I do not under estimate my Heavenily Father in what is to be or will be and leave that to him.

I concur with Perris that responses to this post should be kept on a positive side and no bashing. (See \"Rules for the Forum\")

Hope this helps a little Perris or PM me with questions and I'll answer the best I can...

A little disclaimer: Though I have been and am still listed as a Member, I am not an expert....

Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Let the improvement of yourself keep you so busy that you have no time to criticize others. Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

For today I serve so that tomorrow I may serve again. One step, One Vow, One Moment... Too always remember it is not about me... Master Neaj Pa Bol

Quiet your emotions to find inner peace. Learn from ignorance to foster knowledge.
Enjoy your passions but be immersed in serenity. Understand the chaos to see the harmony.

Apprentice's: Master Zanthan Storm, Jaxxy (Master Rachat et Espoir (Bridgette Barker))

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 6 months ago #6962 by
I believe i am the only Utah guy here- since I'm in the home of the Mormons (or as they prefer LDS) i have not had one day when i have not dealt with that religion.

on a basic level it's a christian group, with an added text known as \"The Book Of Mormon\". A young man was believed to have been told by God that there was an extra bible of sorts in America and he was to translate it and bring it to the people. This is where it gets sticky- there is some debate as to his translation techniques- some who are not LDS say he made it up to help relive some gambling debts, some say he was accurate and was in fact guided by God. He was killed in jail (once again there was debate as to why he was there) and his followers moved to Utah to start off on their own.

the common beliefs I've heard (and been asked when it's known I'm from Utah) is NO Mormons do not have a tail or horns. NO hey only have one wife. polygamy was acceptable at first to get he population up- but now LDS is not a polygamist religion. NO it is not a cult. NO the suicide polygamist were not part of the LDS religion they were their own deal. NO the women can and are encouraged to be productive members of society not just meant to be \"barefoot in the kitchen making food and kids\"

okay now here's my LDS experiences. they have no real bearing on the religion but i think we can all learn a lesson by them.

i was raised LDS my grandparents on my mother's side were LDS as well, my Father was raised the same however my grandparents on his side along with him never were active. At the age of 12 as i recall my brother and i were invited to leave as the youth were drawing \"peace\" signs in a fogged up window. we were told we were drawing satanic symbols on the church and the bishop and the youth leader invited us to leave and never return. my answer was along the lines of \"you were a hippie you know what a peace sign is\" and \"okay I'll just have to sleep in on sunday\". The following week in sacrament (think of it like mass) while my mother was there the bishop and the youth leader announced to avoid my brother and i as we were \"bad kids\". the honest truth was we were the outcasts. i was a sci-fi geek and wanted to be a make-up effects artist (make rubber monsters) so i MUST be gay, and my brother was starting down a long dark path with his bi polar disease.
i tell you all this not to bash or down anyone or any religion but to show you that in a place where everyone should be accepted it's easy to deeply hurt a person with words.
on a side note i've long since forgiven them and years later when i got married the Bishop came to my wedding and in front of my ex wife, my family, and all the people there of his own accord gave me a heartfelt apology. and alot of good came from ther actions- i searched all the major religions and finally settled on a little of this and a little of that. lucky for me the force guided here. where you've all been great examples of jedi, human beings, and \"living by what you teach\".
May The Force Be With You

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 6 months ago #7323 by
Well Perris You know where I stand on this subject seeing as I am a Utah Mormon And have been all of my 18 years, I see the church not only as a religion but as a culture and a way of life.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 6 months ago #7326 by
What an awesome story brother, thank you for sharing it with us, I think that I'm being tested as I come in contact with more and more Mormons here in the church of course they are all the cool ones, the ones that can see beyond the facade of their own faith, I have had some troubble with the reintergration of my partners roots after hearing so long about whhat they did do him and people growing up gay in the church, his relitives are truely very loving to me although it took some time after the first family reunion, I was starting to be accepted as part of the family, not everyone at firstof course could handel the Idea of us being together and i was refered to the other family members as \"his friend, \"special friend\"and room mate.
after the second family reunion all the reletives realized that this was not a phase and that I was not going anywhere. (They do their family reunions every three years)
We have been together for 15 years and I have been to a number of reunions,I have been to Ensign Ranch and Aspen Grove (both very beautiful places), I have a special patch on grandmothers quilt that was presented to her on her 90th birthday, all the grandchildren, her children, her grandchildren and spouses, you an imagine how big this quilt was, when I attended my partners sisters wedding I was included in all the family pictures, I think the photogrpher was lesbian, but it fit because his sister converted to Greek Orthodox, all of his family have spent many hours with me, My partner and I have seen many weddings but sadly many more devorces, It always makes me sad to see that when it comes to splitting up, we have vowed never to do that, i knew from the first day I met him that I wanted to be with him forever we dated for 4 months and then he broke up with me for a year and we went on our seperate ways. (I'm comming to my point soon :-)
So now 15 years and I know everything about the mormon faith my has told me all I neede to know to keep me as far away from it and to behave my self when I am at family functions, actualy hewas more of an trouble maker comming to family reunion wearing bright red finger nail polish on hands and feet, that is how he came out at the family reunion.
This was the year when he broke up with me. anyhoo 15 years forward, he has started to go back to the church, study the Mormon text again at the same time attending teh Sunstone Symposium and Affermation You and read more about him and his journy on his web page www.youngstranger.com
My conflict is I know that the big church in Utah does not approve of us adn I'm not asking for any validation either because in fromnt of 115 people and God as our witness, his parents and sisters , my parents and sisters and his grandmother who flew form Fresno, Ca were all there and participated in it, i keep hoping that someday the LDS church will come around to seeing what my partners see as a long term lasting relationship and God is pleased.
There is a small part of me that still rejects that part of him and i can not go to the church with him as he has told me of some of the out right homophobia being taught there it the ward his parents go to, his father has even written letter complaning to the Bishop, the Ward he goes to now is a little more liberal although that has taken some time (almost like Jane Goodall ), so how to support him noew that I have found my place my new center in this Order of the jedi, part of me wants to go with him so they can see a \"real Live Gay couple\" and the other part has discouraged him from even talking about it with me. not all Mormons are evil or hate us but it is hart to sit in a place of worship that will not even include me in the sacrement, (At our church the one we attend together a UCC church) they let everyone partake in teh feast. the paster alwyays says Christ sets the tabel and all are invited, not just some or the ones who think they are chosen, hmmm what to do, now that the light of Jediism as been shown to me i feel compailed to go.
well this is my longest responce ever but i wanted it out in teh universe, any advice that my Master, brothers and sisters could give me I will check this topic form time to time.
Thank you all for listening as I learn.

Mojiimoto - Padawan

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Neaj Pa Bol
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
More
16 years 6 months ago #7331 by Neaj Pa Bol
Mojiimoto, your courage and love for your partner is refreshing. But wwe all know it's not just the Mormons, but numerous faiths that can not face the reality that \"here it is\"! I commend you on the positive spirit you show to step away and live your life.

I had a dealing the other day that saddens me a little. I was talking with my home teachers and brought up the question about women and the Clergy or Ordainment. I got the standard lecture that Ordainment is the mens jobs. But all men will say, if it wasn't for their wives, they could do the job asked of them.... but my mind kept kicking me back to female missionaries. If women can not baptize as the male missionaires do, do they have the men perform the Ceremony. And that just doen't sit well with me on that. The female missionaries do all the same work in the teachings as the men, but not when it comes to priesthood duties.

So, I can tell you, I still have not brought up the fact of being Clergy. Not just yet. I'm not ashamed, just waiting for my Heavenly Father to let me know when to bark it out..... Then I'll take the steps he and the force guides me through.

Just my two cents......

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
16 years 6 months ago #7333 by Jon
Replied by Jon on topic Re:The Mormons...
After having taken lessons and the necessary preparation my baptism into the Mormon Church was all set. Then on the night before I recieved a phone call that it would be first necessary for me to move out, because of me sharing the appartment and cost with a friend (who was a woman). They explained would give the wrong impression. Since we had no relationship, and we were great friends, I did not want to insult her and called the whole thing off.

I must say though that some of the deepest discusions I have had in the Christian world were with the Mormons. Their sense of conviction is also aweinspiring.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi