Evolutionism

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 months ago #126468 by
Evolutionism was created by
I was pointed toward an interesting article that brings up a topic that I've been curious about for years. My parents are Christian Baptists so I've learned a thing or two about the battle between Creationism and Evolutionism. I tend to take a middle-of-the-road philosophy, as I find that both ways of thinking have something to offer. Here's a quote from the article:

Why is it we often encounter the comparison of creationism vs. evolution but rarely creationism vs. evolutionism? Is there no such thing as the word evolutionism? Surprisingly, many English language dictionaries fail to define the word evolutionism and some don’t even list it as a word.

Why is there a seeming reluctance to admit the very existence of such a commonly used word as evolutionism? Most likely it involves the shade of meaning that the suffix -ism adds to the word evolution. When the -ism suffix is added to a word it forms complex nouns that often imply a system of belief or worldview, and this is what many evolutionists refuse to acknowledge about evolution. To put a point on it, evolutionists do not want you to associate belief with evolution.

But evolution is necessarily a belief because molecules-to-man evolution is not observable but rather must be inferred and believed. And evolution is a worldview since any belief system that purports to explain the origin of virtually everything that is real is a religion or worldview. Indeed for those who consistently hold the worldview of evolution, nothing can be elevated above evolution because everything that is real must ultimately be a product of evolution, including religion and even God if he is to be considered to be part of reality.

If you want to read more here's the link: Evolutionism—Is There Such a Word?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 months ago #126475 by
Replied by on topic Re:Evolutionism
But you can observe evolution and evolution is a proven fact. Wether the theory of evolution is true which stats all life on earth derived from a single organism cannot be proven because we dont have a time machine to go back and see if it didnt come from another source.

But yes evolution is an observable fact and ive personally done experiments in a labartory and seen it.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #126478 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Evolutionism
No offence, but what kinda proof do you offer, Vesha?

Although I agree with evolution(ism), what proof do you have?

Edit: As to the topic, ill get back Tonya...:)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by Jestor.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 months ago #126483 by
Replied by on topic Re:Evolutionism
Ill type it up later i promise. im at ASU right now studying genetics and its really hard to type on my phone.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 months ago #126492 by
Replied by on topic Evolutionism
I will second the assertion that evolution is a fact. Here is one strong piece of evidence:

DNA is considered to be a blueprint for an organism. We share over 99% of our DNA in common with other humans, and it is the bits we don't share in common that define us as individuals. When we compare our DNA to the fossil record we find that the difference in DNA corresponds directly to the amount of variation the fossil exhibits. For example, chimpanzees share a common 98% of DNA with us, having evolved from a common ancestor about 7-5 million years ago. They have many similarities to us that arise from our similar genetics.

Here are a few similarities between chimps (but really all apes) and humans:

Similar dentition (2-1-2-3 pattern shared by all apes)
Opposable thumbs
Socially oriented
Binocular vision
Excellent balance (helps for life in the trees)

Here are a couple differences:
Bipedalism (We walk upright, a change that happened before we evolved higher intelligence)
  • Ex. Species: Australopithecus afarensis, Australopithecus africanus, Ardipithecus ramidus
  • Ex. hominin species: Homo habilis, Homo erectus, Homo rudolphensis, Homo heidelbergensis,
    Homo sapiens neanderthalensis
Higher cognitive ability
  • This is measured by the encephalization quotient, or EQ, the relative brain mass to body mass
  • All ape species have an above average EQ, but for humans and our close ancestors it is much higher
  • Our ancestor species like Australopithecus afarensis are believed to have a brain size of ~400cc, where later species like Homo habilis were around ~750cc, and anatomically modern humans are about ~1350cc

Final Thoughts:
Evolution is a well subsidized theory that is accepted by the scientific community. It should be noted that just because evolution is a theory, this doesn't mean it hasn't been proven. Theories are battle-tested explanations for how the world operate, and they undergo numerous evaluations to prove their validity. Einstein's theory of general relativity is a "theory," and yet it is crucial to make your gps system respond correctly. If anybody is on the fence about evolution or would like me to provide more substantial evidence/viewpoints, just message me and I can clarify a good deal.

Thanks,
ChillBroBaggins

More
10 years 4 months ago #126509 by Br. John
Replied by Br. John on topic Evolutionism
I found the term Evolutionist used here http://notjustatheory.com/index.html . You can probably read the entire site in less than a few minutes.

Founder of The Order

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 months ago #126516 by
There is the theory of evolution from a scientific view . . .

And then there is the concept of evolution, as in a process, which may or may not apply to a scientific view.

I don't vote for the word evolution getting an ISM on the basis that creationism has one.

The word creationism came about to battle darwinism. The dictionary defines creationism entirely as thought system related to human/world creation from a Being without. It also shows the origin of the word to placed in the mid 19th century. . But . . .

The present definition of Creationism (as in a specific theory) is an error in language that has stuck.

The word creationism, is formed by creation & ism, and is gorgeous in it's own right. Look each one up in the dictionary . . . .

I do accept that dictionaries include words based on popular usage, yet I really don't care for the limits applied to the word creationism. It is not because of the "ism" . . it's the limitations of the definition.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 months ago #126551 by
Evidence of evolution. The forces that drive evolution are Mutation, Migration, Genetic Drift, Natural Selection and Sexual selection.
We can see this happening around us. Good examples include a newt in Califronia which you can follow and see gradually change with location http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDIQFQOCGaI. The famous peppered moth of Europe that changed from white to black when London’s pollution changed their trees black, then back to white moths when air good cleaner. Most notably antibiotic resistant bacteria, bacteria that thrive on eating nylon a substance that doesn’t exist in nature. We can observe in real time HIV change to adapt to viral suppression medications. Rattle Snakes here in the southwest have changed to rattle less because people hear and kill them when they do. Insects are gaining resistance to certain pesticides. I can go on and on with examples.

In Humans, the average human was 5’3” and 130 about 400 years ago. Females are selecting larger males. The Human body has several vestigial features (organs that were useful but are not longer). We have useless air all over our bodies, an appendix that digests cellulose in other animals, but does nothing for us. Wisdom teeth that don’t even fit in our jaw anymore.

We can see these changes happen in the wild and in a laboratory setting. We know evolution happens and it’s a fact. Creationism offers no evidence of anything and only points out gabs of knowledge in our understanding of how some creature changed in the past, but those gaps are being filled everyday as we study and learn more. The evidence that all life evolved on earth from simpler organisms is overwhelming. There is almost as much evidence for the theory of evolution as there is evidence that the earth is round.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 months ago #126553 by

Rattle Snakes here in the southwest have changed to rattle less

Rattle Snakes in both the South West and South East still have rattles. Their sound is now at a frequency that humans cannot hear, but other animals can, due to the fact that humans kill them as soon as they hear them.

-Lived in Texas, Florida, and South Carolina, and worked with various herps and helped relocate rattlers as a side job.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
10 years 4 months ago #126556 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Evolutionism

But yes evolution is an observable fact and ive personally done experiments in a labartory and seen it.

I am aware of these and more,lol...

You had said you had done experiments that proved it... I was looking for something I could see now.. lol...

Something like flatworms, or whatever, that is quick to adapt and notice...

Several lifetimes or generations of mutations, isnt usually done in a 'experimental' type setting...

As to the topic, if someone believes it, it is a belief... lol... duhr...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi