Is heaven whatever you want it to be?

More
10 years 4 months ago #123227 by Kohadre
Before I get started on this post, I want to state that I know nobody alive has the answers to the questions I am about to ask, and can only provide insight based on their own education and beliefs.

I have thought on this question for a significant amount of time, in fact since my early childhood. I have wondered, is heaven whatever you want it to be? Or is it something predefined, more along the lines of an eternal church service?

If I wanted to be another being in heaven, could I change my form? Could I make myself forget everything that I had experienced in this life, and exist in pure ignorance from the torments and terrors I had experienced while alive? Or would I have to stay in my human form, and be made to remember all the things which I would rather forget?

What is heaven but an alternate version of hell, if I am not at bliss within it. And if I cannot make my heaven into whatever I want it to be, am I not existing within the ideal world another would live in? Am I not being forced to adhere to a predefined and premade version of heaven?

One's heaven is another persons hell, just as one's hell is another persons heaven. It makes no sense to me that if something such as heaven truly exists, which I believe it does, that it would be anything less than a persons ultimate imagining of bliss.

And if none of these things are possible, then why such a high regard for heaven, if it is not but a continuation of the limited and troubled experience we know within our lives now?

So long and thanks for all the fish

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 4 months ago #123232 by Amaya
Well I don't have the answer but I believe heaven and hell is a state of mind. We create our own state of existence within this realm and we make it pleasant or not.
In the JW's I believed for a long time that heaven would be partly on earth, but an earth in it's original pristine state. A beautiful, peaceful, loving existence. Since I left I realized that we could create this outside of any God or religion, just by being the best we can be, by working together as one. Cheesy I know but we can create our own heaven or hell.
So yes heaven is whatever you believe it to be. ;) In my opinion anyway.

Everything is belief

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 months ago #123241 by
I believe in different states of existence. Use what ever words you wish to discribe them. We'll never know until we transist ourselves.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #123245 by
I firmly believe we create our own reality in life and in death. The best book I've ever read regarding this subject is Seth- The Eternal Validity Of The Soul. I did not like all of Jane Roberts books but this one is special. It takles life, reincarnation and the after life. One thing is for sure, it will not leave you indifferent.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&ved=0CDwQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FSeth-Speaks-Eternal-Validity-Soul%2Fdp%2F1878424076&ei=9bNyUqzoCLb-4APL74HoAw&usg=AFQjCNG4SZ4693a7rrZEVXAsfle_qiSa5g&bvm=bv.55819444,d.dmg
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by .

More
10 years 4 months ago #123247 by Kohadre
Thanks for the read Jayden, I will be sure to give that a look

So long and thanks for all the fish

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 months ago #125167 by
Have you ever seen "What Dreams May Come"? That pretty much sums up how I see it.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 months ago #125169 by
^ If you haven't read the book, I heartily recommend it.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 months ago #125305 by
Oh, I wasn't aware there was a book. Thanks for the tip :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 months ago #125308 by
The film's based on the book, I liked the film but the book is pretty mindblowing.

More
10 years 4 months ago #125318 by Alexandre Orion
:)

To bow and sue for grace
With suppliant knee, and deify his power
Who, from the terror of this arm, so late
Doubted his empire—that were low indeed;
That were an ignominy and shame beneath
This downfall; since, by fate, the strength of Gods,
And this empyreal substance, cannot fail;
Since, through experience of this great event,
In arms not worse, in foresight much advanced,
We may with more successful hope resolve
To wage by force or guile eternal war,
Irreconcilable to our grand Foe,
Who now triumphs’, and in the excess of joy
Sole reigning holds the tyranny of Heaven.”
John Milton, Paradise Lost, v. 111-124

Farewell, happy fields,
Where joy forever dwells! Hail, horrors! hail,
Infernal World! and thou, profoundest Hell,
Receive thy new possessor—one who brings
A mind not to be changed by place or time.
The mind is its own place, and in itself
Can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.
ibid., v. 249-255

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi