"It's amazing how productive doing nothing can be."

More
1 year 5 months ago #370605 by Streen
That quote comes from the movie, Tron: Legacy. I know it's not a widely appreciated movie, but philosophically I found it interesting.

I'm taking a moment from my internet break (I decided to take some time away from most websites and emails) just to bring up the topic of doing nothing. In the movie, the characters are in a tough situation. When one asks, what do we do now? The other says, Nothing. We do nothing. Be still. And only a moment later, a solution to their problem is revealed.

I was meditating last night on how my life has sort of been empty and painful lately, and the question of "What am I supposed to do now?" had been floating around in my head for days, if not weeks. The answer came to me in that meditative session: NOTHING. I was to do nothing. I didn't particularly like the idea, but I couldn't deny how real that message felt. So far it's been a refreshing experience. I've simply put things on hold, and aside from writing this post, I have done very little today.

I wondered, how often have you simply done nothing? I know life doesn't often provide opportunities for it. There's always work, or school, or home life. If you can get away from that for a moment or two, I encourage you not to take that time to fill it with something else, but to just let it be. Do nothing. Meditate, or whatever. It doesn't matter, as long as there's no "activity".

It's amazing how productive doing nothing can be.

The truth is always greater than the words we use to describe it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 5 months ago #370606 by River
One of my father's favorite sayings when I was younger was, "don't just do something; sit there"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Skryym

More
1 year 5 months ago #370609 by Carlos.Martinez3
I can not, NOT be active. Slowing down has never been a focus of mine.
I often use the quote " I am never not working." It belongs to a American Football player with hair as pretty as mine. Bit of a joke there. In my time as a Jedi, I have met many different ideas. Some work for me some do not.

To be in the moment is something I recommend to those Jedi who would like to try. The Force flows with or without us. What we share is what is inside us. Our experience is a inside thing. The ability to BE in time with everything else as it is, can be something we can try. We can try so hard to controll things, yet we can't. I have to give my brain and my mind a break some times. It's healthy. What is also healthy is being in the moment. I can not explain it but NOW is as fresh and as alive as I can be. I really do not do nothing now a days - truth be told- I do let thing be sometimes. I found most times things happen without my worry just the same.

When I get lost , I find my returns and we'll, RETURN to them.

Hope this helps a bit. I am such a Tron Nerd. I feel ya. When things happen without us, we can notice that things do happen without us.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Skryym

More
1 year 5 months ago #370611 by River

Carlos.Martinez3 wrote: I can not, NOT be active. Slowing down has never been a focus of mine.

Doing nothing doesn't have to mean being still, imo. It can be achieved through movement as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

More
1 year 5 months ago #370612 by Carlos.Martinez3

Attachment tenor1_2022-10-28.gif not found

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
Attachments:

More
1 year 5 months ago #370617 by Streen

River wrote: One of my father's favorite sayings when I was younger was, "don't just do something; sit there"

LOL My mother used to say that. :)

Carlos, I understand your point of view, but being in the moment often requires you to be still. To partially quote Ferris Bueller, If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you're going to miss it. "It" being life. Or the world, or people you care about.

One thing I've noticed about life in terms of movement... You sometimes can't see things moving unless you sit still. The faster you go, the slower things seem to move.

The truth is always greater than the words we use to describe it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, River

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi