Is Trumps Boarder Wall Antithetical To Jedi Doctrine?

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #350363 by Malicious
Tbh this is not helping , you both have made your points clear and it's kinda getting a little off topic . I know I started the whole " not seeing race in a stereotypical way " in this thread and I think you both made interesting proposals on the different views of this debate . So would you kindly agree to disagree please ?

=_= Malicious (+_+)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #350370 by Wescli Wardest
ZealotX

You’re absolutely right. I am not entrenched in this at all.

I see no point in laying blame to an entire group of people that were not around to create the offense to a group of people that were not around to be offended. I also see no point in focusing only on one group when this has been happening to all peoples all over the world for all of history.

Rather than setting around assigning blame, how about trying to fix the actual problem. First, let’s stop referring to people by color, racist even to “whites”, and start treating them like people. Not like incapable people or children that need special privileges and rules but people just like everyone else.

Let people be accountable for their actions and choices. And expect a higher degree of civility from all/everyone.

Or… we can set around rehashing the past for one group of people, blaming everyone and everything else for their problems and not coming to any kind of actual solution.

I know which path I chose. Which will you choose? :huh:

Monastic Order of Knights
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Malicious

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #350372 by ZealotX

Fyxe wrote:

ZealotX wrote:
So you want to dictate what I call myself???? WOW!

your absolutely right I will dictate what you call yourself if you want to dicate what I can and cannot use as free speech. works both ways. My job is not to make you understand just like your job is not to tell me what Im allowed to say. I will use whatever language I please up to and including negro, another valid word in the english language, just like retarded and any other word of phase I want. I know what the intent is thats enough for me. People are too easily offended these days by the stupidist of things. I mean REALLY?? I dont see color? Please...

and when, pray tell, did I tell you what you could or couldn't say? Did I not offer a SUGGESTION for an better ALTERNATIVE??

No one dictated anything. Stop being so sensitive. Suggestions can be taken or not taken at will. If you don't care how people receive your communication that's on you, dude.

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #350376 by ZealotX
Wes,

I respect you. I believe you are coming from a good place but that you misunderstand what I'm saying.

There is a level of sensitivity that some people tend to have when racial issues are discussed and they have a tendency to get defensive. Let me say this very clearly so that you understand.

I AM NOT BLAMING YOU.

Now if you say something wrong my reaction will be to correct it. And this is how I end up addressing racism and slavery in general instead of what I was trying to talk about which was ONLY the common phrase "I don't see color" and how it tends to rub black people the wrong way and how it would be better to say "I don't discriminate".

Instead of taking this suggestion because no one wants to unnecessarily offend black people by stating this, some seem to feel the need to defend their right to say whatever they want (as if my suggestion was a command) or somehow shift blame onto black people for the misunderstanding and claim they are ignorant about history.

I had this conversation with a white woman who I was seeing at the time who has a good number of black friends and I was the second one she heard it from. She did not want to be misunderstood so she simply took the advice that was given and it led to a positive discussion about racial issues. So I know this reaction isn't necessary.

I see no point in laying blame to an entire group of people that were not around to create the offense to a group of people that were not around to be offended.

Your words betray your feelings. You feel blamed but no one has or is blaming you for the past. I'm talking about the words you say in the present. One should be MINDFUL of the present and their interactions. If I'm talking about the present and you're talking about the past then how are we talking about the same thing? It's like you're using the past as a strawman to attack what I'm saying about the phrase used currently, "I don't see color". This has nothing to do with the past except for what you mean when YOU say it. Next point.

I also see no point in focusing only on one group when this has been happening to all peoples all over the world for all of history.

When a mother runs into a police station and says "I need help! My daughter is missing!" The correct response is not "well ma'am, a lot of children go missing. I don't see any point in focusing on just your kid." Do you get what I'm saying?

"You have cancer. I'm sorry." The lady looks at the doctor, hopeful. "I understand. What's our plan of attack?" The doctor looks at her, puzzled. "Plan of attack? Lady, do you know how many people have cancer? Like a lot. What kind of narcissist are you?"

Do I have to keep going? I can do this for days. Obviously, the point is that there is NO NEED TO DEFLECT. If something's wrong you don't need to deflect to other similar things. You are not personally liable or responsible. Our government is a little different. It is like a ship that has different captains. It wasn't born yesterday. When a new captain comes on board he is operating the ship and taking responsibility for its direction while under his command. But if that ship started a war before he took over, he either has to continue to fight that war or bring it to a close. He is not personally America. America is the ship. It is responsible for what it does and doesn't do. And as passengers who pay to ride on this ship we are responsible for selecting the crew and we pay for the ship and are responsible for its debts. If that ship owes money to China, we have to pay it. If that ship still owes money to China that we didn't vote for and never came into our hands, as individuals, and we die, our children and their children will have to pay China back.

We can't say "Oh but I wasn't there when my country asked for money and I would have voted no so I shouldn't have to pay anything towards the repayment of that debt!"

Nope. Sorry. You're part of this nation. You're part of a collective body. You don't get to substitute your individuality whenever you choose to invoke it. Can China blame you personally for the debt? No. Clearly you weren't there. Clearly you weren't in Congress. But what Congress did was done on our behalf, to benefit the nation. And like it or not, you benefited and you had a slight advantage over people in other countries whose countries could not borrow so much money to invest in their people and their infrastructure. Are their struggles your fault? No. But you still have to pay the debt.

So you see... it's not about blame. It's about doing the right thing. And we're not discussing solutions in this thread but we have discussed solutions before in other threads that I have been apart of. If you don't want to be called white then I wont call you white. However, that is my problem with the phrase "I don't see color". There's NOTHING WRONG with being white or black. If you think this will somehow cure racism, you're wrong. Sorry. It wont do a thing. You're well meaning. You're a good guy. That's cool. But racists don't give a crap about that because black isn't even their favorite term for black people. What those of us who aren't racists do or don't do, in discussing or ignoring race has ZERO effect on racists. So what good do you imagine it will do when non-racists are not a problem or a contributing factor to racism (except for the contribution of apathy).

If someone's mind is fertile ground for racism they're not going to be deterred by the proposed "social crime" of political incorrect racial identifiers. They pretty much hate "social justice warriors" and loath political correctness in general. The N-word is already politically incorrect. Do you think that stops them? Or does the finger wag of society actually encourage them? Look at Fyxe's response, reacting to the suggestion that "I don't see color" shouldn't be said. He response was basically, then I get to call you whatever I choose even "Negro". So that, right there, should tell you that trying to eliminate the terms white and black will not do anything against racism. You actually need to address it and have conversations with people. You have to teach children not to hate or DISCRIMINATE.

Okay everyone, let's stop saying "corona" so that the virus will go away. What? That's not how viruses work?
Corona virus isn't going to go away by us ignoring it?

Racism is a VIRAL IDEA. That idea went viral hundreds of years ago and still infects people to this day. It's not something that was just in the past. It is past, present, and future. Black people have never stopped feeling it and being offended by it. We simply adapted to it so that we are not overly sensitive to it. However, you're not going to tell us it doesn't exist and that we shouldn't call ourselves black because we're living in a "post racial society". That's not our reality and we share stories of our individual experiences so we know just how present in our society this viral idea actually is. People want to pretend black people are wrong because they don't want to believe the problem still exists. But black people are not wrong because we actually talk to each other about it instead of ignoring it and the statistics bear this out.

and start treating them like people. Not like incapable people or children that need special privileges and rules but people just like everyone else.

Yeah.... let's "start" treating them like people. I love that idea. Let's all "start" doing that. LOL But that's for recognizing that some humans aren't being treated as though they are human. But yeah... how about you fix the problem FIRST. THEN we wont need laws to try to help one group of people to survive against another. While you're at it. Let's get rid of laws about tax evasion. Instead, let's just all agree to pay our fair share of taxes. I'm feeling frisky. You feeling frisky? Let's get rid of all the laws about rape and child abuse and let's just all agree to treat our women and children the way that all women and children should be treated. And hell... we don't need no multi-million dollar border wall. Let's just all agree not to enter the country without required documents.

I'm sure the point has been understood by now. Laws protect people against those who would take the opportunity to break those laws. Since no one can prove they didn't get the job because they were black the law has to go about it a different way. It has to look at education vs unemployment and wages of both races. We can actually compare data. If we can prove that it is equally as easy for an equally qualified black person to get a job, that a white person can get, well then there's no further need for Affirmative Action, which benefits white women primarily because it wasn't aimed at only "black people" but rather "MINORITIES".

note: like many viruses, racism is able to adapt to attempts to control or eradicate it. If it was as simple as a declaration for us to "start" treating people as people then racism would have died many times over a long time ago. Unfortunately, more than that has to be done.

White women are a minority who get paid less than men. This is especially hard on black women. The cart is getting rid of what is helping these groups. The horse is what is causing these groups to need help. So why do we need to discuss the cart "before" the horse? Do you really think a congress full of mostly white men don't want to kill Affirmative Action asap? Do you think these same men haven't signed on to an equal pay for women law for years because they're waiting on everyone to up and decide to do the right thing? Do you think Democrats, after seeing it was no longer needed, would vote to keep it anyway? That's NOT the problem. The problem is WHY IS IT NEEDED IN THE FIRST PLACE? And why are companies using white women to claim they have minorities? If they are using white women as their minorities then how does this help black people? It doesn't. If a hiring manager is racist he can get the financial benefits of Affirmative Action for his company and still hire zero black people. Right?

Right?

Let people be accountable for their actions and choices. And expect a higher degree of civility from all/everyone.

you cannot be held to account without any laws. And there are tons of people who aren't civil and not interested in being civil if that means what YOU think it means they should do or not do. You can't control other people. They're gonna do what they want. It's called freedom. When someone is hurt as a result that is when the justice system steps in and seeks to compensate the "damaged" party. When someone has "damages" that doesn't mean they're feeble or incapable. It just means they're OWED. The justice system tries to recognize when something isn't fair, according to law and legal precedent. Black people aren't looking for privileges. Black people are looking for FAIRNESS and EQUALITY. Reparations is about keeping a promise of compensation for damages. Racism is not about what you call us. Truthfully, we don't really care about that as much as people think. What we care about equal rights, access, and opportunity. Racists are even exploiting the mechanism that was intended to counteract racism!

Again, racism is about power. You're not saying that. I'm saying it. But listen first before you disagree. It's just like classism. The rich do have influence over how easy it is for you to get a job if they have all the jobs because they own the companies. They may not be the hiring manager but they are the ones who control the budget. If the hiring manager is racist he has influence over how easy it is for black people to work at that company. And he doesn't have to be full blown KKK alt right neo nazi. He could just be some random guy who thinks black people are like children who aren't as smart as whites. Or maybe he buys into the stereotype about black people being lazy or criminals. This random guy is NOT going to tell you what he calls black people when he is with his friends because he's not stupid. And because he's not stupid he also knows he can hire white women as "minorities".

Racism 1 | Equality 0

That's real racism. Not calling people black or white. Real racism influences the future. Real racism represents a threat to the survival or ability for that race to thrive by making the environment hostile. Real racism plants drugs on suspects so they can go to jail. Real racism calls the cops in the hopes of punishing black people for having a BBQ at a park. These instances of racism sound petty and inconsequential until you realize that its coming from totally random, otherwise normal looking, white people; just like that hiring manager or people like Fred Trump who denied housing while indicating on applications that they were "colored". And if you aren't entrenched in it then you don't know what's going on and how because you're not in the trenches with those who are oppressed which allows you to IGNORE it all and think they're just pretending.

Or… we can set around rehashing the past for one group of people, blaming everyone and everything else for their problems and not coming to any kind of actual solution.

I know which path I chose. Which will you choose?

I don't know why people assume that I'm new to this...

https://www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/search?query=racism%20solutions&childforums=1&catids=5

What I also have advocated for, in the black community, is group economics and various economic solutions that do not depend on the dominant society acting fairly. The problem is that these solutions are not "integrated" solutions. It's more like, "if you don't want to play fair then I'll take my ball and go home". These solutions adapt to racism. They don't and cannot destroy it. I have a whole website dedicated to the economic solutions that I advocate, blog, FB pages, challenged ideas and ignorance from both blacks and whites on social media, participated in events, organized an event for black owned businesses, etc. I know there are people who complain about racism and don't offer or advocate for any solutions. I'm simply not one of those people so trying to change the subject to me isn't going to work either. I do my part. Right now, the part I elect to do is advising white people not to say "I don't see color" so that they can be better understood by black people; enabling better relationships because black people tend to keep most white people at arms length because they don't know if they're racist or not (this is the truth). So when you say things that make black people are either offended by or can easily misinterpret.... when the default is not to trust you... then yes, what I'm suggesting could help you have better relationships with black people

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN HAVING BETTER RELATIONSHIPS

Better relationships = better race relations. Better race relations = less fertile ground for the viral ideas turn regular looking people into racists. Better race relations = more white people who are "conscious" of racial issues and who can therefore become allies to combat racism. Better race relations = my step kids not being told on the bus to go back to the plantation. Better race relations = my step kid not hearing "white people are better" in a pool at the YMCA or being called the n-word by a girl on his soccer team. Better communication = better relationships. Maybe you never hear talk like that. It depends a lot on where you grew up. The viral ideas of racism love ISOLATION. The more that it has to interact with actual living black people the more it has to get to know them and see that they're "not all bad".

As Jedi we believe that little steps can make a difference. So we strive to see the bigger picture but each one of us can be a brush stroke. Each one of us can take a step in the right direction until one day, someone is stepping on the moon. If you're asking yourself "what can I do?" then congratulations; you're half way there.

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #350383 by Wescli Wardest

I think what most people fail to realize, or don’t get, is that I really don’t care to be sensitive to people’s feelings. That does not mean that I just say what I want when I want either. What that means is I try to be generally polite to everyone equally. And rather or not someone else’s feelings get hurt or their offended or whatever issue they have comes up, is solely their issue.

When I told you about how saying white is just as racist as saying black it was to offer the same point of view from a different perspective. And I offered a different cause to a commonly mistaken root to the issue. And I stand by what I said earlier, except for genetic issues of a medical nature, the only difference race gives rise to be appearance. I firmly believe that culture plays more a role in modern people’s difference issue. Now, they culture one is in may be a racist culture where the individual feels propelled to identify others by color. Or group things that have happened by color. Or peoples outcome by color. Or Lord knows what by color.

I have no idea rather you’re a guy, girl, it, attack helicopter or what other gender people identify as no days. I have no idea if you’re skin color is brown, black orange, yellow, polka dotted, stripped or transparent… to me it makes no difference. I don’t even know what your motives are for your stance.

What I do know is that I am having a written conversation with someone that claims to be talking about the present but keeps bringing up the past. What has been done cannot be undone any more than a bell can be unrung. Slavery, Jim Crow, these things were in the past. And the point I feel you missed is that this past is not unique to the US. Which was the point. Not, it happens everywhere so don’t worry about it.

Let me ask, can you change the past? I didn’t think so. So you can’t “fix” it. Or the outcome of it. But what we can do is start treating each other like we all live in this moment. Not like we’re stuck in the past and just dragging it forward. And some are. I pitty them and the miserable life they live.

You may not blame me. But those whose words you parrot do. Middle-aged, well to do, white male from the Southern US. We are responsible, or blamed for all the injustices or evils of the world. Even though I have lived a life of service to others since I was a child and continue to serve when others set online and play armchair quarterback. I don’t do it out of guilt or anything of the sort. I do it because I care. I want to help people.

And about the government. The people who make policy are voted into place. You may not have voted for them but someone did. And so when you say the government is to blame, you are blaming the people that voted them into office.

Also, we are discussing solutions in this thread. Well, at least I have offered up a few. But they have either been shot down or LOL’d at. I’m sure all the people you’re advocating for have no ability to stand up for themselves and need you to do it for them. They could never form a million man march on their own or anything like that. They need someone to brow beat others on an internet forum.

You know, it just dawned on me what are real differences are. You are advocating for a utopian idea. Never any fighting, hate, injustice and so on. Where I am just hoping to minimalize the suffering of those who suffer unjustly. I am a realist. And I believe that it is impossible to create a utopian society. Completely and irrevocably impossible for mankind to do. So I don’t bother with unrealistic ideals. I just strive for things to be better.

Monastic Order of Knights
The following user(s) said Thank You: Malicious

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 2 weeks ago #350384 by

ZealotX wrote:

Fyxe wrote:

ZealotX wrote:
So you want to dictate what I call myself???? WOW!

your absolutely right I will dictate what you call yourself if you want to dicate what I can and cannot use as free speech. works both ways. My job is not to make you understand just like your job is not to tell me what Im allowed to say. I will use whatever language I please up to and including negro, another valid word in the english language, just like retarded and any other word of phase I want. I know what the intent is thats enough for me. People are too easily offended these days by the stupidist of things. I mean REALLY?? I dont see color? Please...

and when, pray tell, did I tell you what you could or couldn't say? Did I not offer a SUGGESTION for an better ALTERNATIVE??

No one dictated anything. Stop being so sensitive. Suggestions can be taken or not taken at will. If you don't care how people receive your communication that's on you, dude.

Yes well obviously - suggestion heard and then rejected. B) ;) :P

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 2 weeks ago #350386 by

ZealotX wrote:
1. reparations

African Americans were promised "40 acres and a mule" after slavery to help them get started in the American economy. When you have a few people who are broke a community the community can pool resources to help those people. Locality based taxation also doesn't inhibit the education opportunities and thus the career opportunities for those children. They all have equal opportunity to prosper. When you contrast this with many African American communities, the people are blamed for being broke as if they are lazy. In reality many people coming to this country benefit from generational wealth. Their communities have more money, therefore better schools, better opportunities. We have proven that better education does have a serious impact. My sister and I were better educated than many people we grew up with and therefore our opportunities were better. Our early education was priced out of range for most African American families; including ours. But it was subsidized by our church (not local, because they couldn't afford it either; but rather regional or national). When we went to public school after that we were more very noticeably ahead of the other kids. And how could they be struggling in school if we weren't and we were black too? It's because their public education was inferior. Because their funding was also inferior. This is just one example of how money affects a community. Thanks, in part, for that subsidy in our formative years, my sister is a doctor and I'm a web developer. My best friend grew up in public schools and went from janitorial work to grounds keeping. One isn't better than the other but one definitely pays better and the taxes go to the schools where you live and where you live determines the housing available. Not many black doctors and lawyers want to live "in the hood".

So even though some of us "make it" there is a domino effect that wealth and the lack thereof has on a community. To deny this is to deny economic reality. It actually costs more to live if you're broke because your interest rates are higher which makes things cost more. If you don't have 20% of a home loan to put down you, for example, also have to pay extra for mortgage insurance. And the value of your home may not even go up like homes in other areas because you often don't get to determine your own property value. This creates situations that are difficult to get out of. And a lot of things are not priced in respect of the poor. So every year college tuition becomes further and further out of reach unless you win a type of lottery and can get a scholarship. That's great, but these are always in limited supply so it always means that the majority will not have the same opportunities as the minority... of the minority. The smaller minority proves what the rest could do with the right investment. But people act like reparations is a hand out. It's not. It's COMPENSATION. Meanwhile, reparations were already given... to slave owners.

Almost everything you have said here is wrong. First the freedmen were given that land at one point, but it was given back by the next president, a southern sympthizer. so there is that. He may have been a dick or he may have been a visionary striving for integration, not sure. beyond that you begin to depict "communities" as segregated populations in which blacks cant participate. That is completely wrong. also education opportunities do not dictate success, that is an excuse that is not accurate. If your sister is a doctor she did that on her own, not because she went to a better preschool. At least give her that credit!! I grew up just as poor and went to public school. But I worked hard and got my degree even though I turned 18 with no money to do anything. But guess what, I went to work and I changed that. your janitor friend started out exactly where I started out. I started out sweeping floors but I spend my free time studying and learning and hustling that made the difference, not a handout from the govt.

Reparations are compensation for what exactly? this generation was never in slavery and neither does this generation own slaves as any sort of legal sort. In fact the US govt spent decades restricting the freedoms of slave owners through new legistation instead of increasing that freedom before the civil war was fought to free them. and once it was over they did a lot to help them. But how long does this have to go on? forever in your eyes it seems. Well the fact remains that it was legal at the time so even though it was not right it was also not a crime. so I see no need to pay people today for self proclaimed crimes done to ancestors. If that was the case I should sue the romans for invading my ancestors lands and enslaving them!! but it does not work that way. If you have a generational beef with what you perceive as past crimes then look up your geneology and find out who owned your ancestors whose offspring are living today and sue them. I see no reason to get the govt involved in this or to try and force me to pay you for a crime that neither one of us had anything to do with.

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #350390 by ZealotX

When I told you about how saying white is just as racist as saying black it was to offer the same point of view from a different perspective. And I offered a different cause to a commonly mistaken root to the issue.

And did I not respond by saying that I wouldn't call you white in that case? Why? Because I really and truly respect you and therefore I don't want to offend you. And if I know that something offends you and it's easy enough to avoid, I'm going to avoid it as a courtesy to you. Is there something wrong with that? If other people, who I previously would have called white, came out and said the same thing, I'd be like "wow, okay. Sorry, I didn't know so many of you felt this way" and I would cease that usage in totality. And I would ask what word should I be using as an alternative. Is European still okay? Is Caucasian okay? Let me know.

And I stand by what I said earlier, except for genetic issues of a medical nature, the only difference race gives rise to be appearance.

correction: the only difference race gives rise to, where you are concerned, or in your mind, is appearance. Race causes people to treat each other differently; hence why you said that we should "start" treating each other as people. Therefore, you already know this isn't presently the case.

I firmly believe that culture plays more a role in modern people’s difference issue.

I absolutely agree. And there is a segment/element of "white culture" that has always been against black people. This element hasn't always been dominant. However, it is often seen in political alignment to a certain party. And yes, this alignment switched around the 1920s. Still to this day, there is an element of "White culture" that thinks it is cool mock black people, wear blackface, and call the police on black people whenever possible. This element is very much hidden behind a metaphorical "border wall" designed to keep black people "in their place". You may not agree because you personally may not think this way or be personally influenced by this element and/or subculture. But it's there. We have it recorded. Groups like the KKK, skin heads, neo nazis, and the alt right, are larger and give each other a sense of protection; that they can bring these ideas out of the closet because there is power in numbers. I can't even tell you how many times I've heard "Race war" in the past few years. White supremicist activites, like the church shooting, are terrorist plans to try and start a race war. No one starts a race war unless they think they have the numbers and that they can win. The last race war was of course the civil war and still to this day we have lots of people who parade the dixie flag and erect monuments of racist southern leaders to let certain people know just how welcome they are. Again, you may not see this stuff because you're a good guy and perhaps your social circle doesn't overlap theirs. But that's why we have the Southern Poverty Law Center. If you cannot believe us, believe the reports.

note: of course there is no legal mechanism for designating domestic extremist groups as terrorists.

What I do know is that I am having a written conversation with someone that claims to be talking about the present but keeps bringing up the past.

Ah man... I would love to be making this up. I would love to live in your version of the United States where there aren't training camps for white extremists; where they're not trying to start a race war and where Chris Barker did say that the KKK has had a surge (even reported by the BBC) in its numbers since the Trump election.

The F.B.I. director, Christopher Wray, told the House Judiciary Committee this month that the agency had more than 1,000 violent extremist investigations in progress, covering all 50 states, but he resisted providing a more detailed breakdown.

He described “racially motivated violent extremism” as a “national threat priority” equal to the threat from the Islamic State.

Whether it is unique to the US or not is irrelevent. And never did I say slavery of black people is going on today and that my cousin is being forced to serve as a butler on the other side of town. What I'm talking about TODAY that is present tense in racism. Is that clear? But I was responding to someone who brought up REPARATIONS as a "black privilege". Do you not see how slavery is relevant in that context? I'm sure you probably didn't read that part. And you probably didn't read the part where I linked the economic effects of slavery and the lack of compensation and the ongoing effects of racism as an influence to the current socio-economic status of black Americans.

After I said that I responded to you saying "White is just as racist as calling someone brown, black, or yellow" with me not wanting to repeat to you everything that happened during slavery and Jim Crow because your statement came off to me as totally dismissive of what racism actually is; as if it is a disagreement over what color of the rainbow should be used to represent people. The experience of ANY group should not be reduced to a color and then only to casually say "oh let's stop saying the names of these colors". I really hope you can put yourself in my shoes to hear how that might sound.

Let me ask, can you change the past? I didn’t think so. So you can’t “fix” it. Or the outcome of it. But what we can do is start treating each other like we all live in this moment. Not like we’re stuck in the past and just dragging it forward. And some are. I pitty them and the miserable life they live.

Again... what I'm mainly talking about is RACISM which is extremely modern. And because not enough people did enough in the PAST, we still have to deal with racists TODAY. So no, you can't change the past. But you can learn a lot from it so that you do not REPEAT it. There is an element among white people (which doesn't include you since I'm not referring to you as white) that wants a repeat of the civil war; or at least, they want a race war. Go talk to them. Go lecture them about the past. Go tell them that it's not cool to hate. Go tell them SOMETHING. Because not telling them anything means that in another 100 years they'll still around and thinking that all white people share their ideas but are afraid to say so. Go tell it to them. Be a light and an ambassador for peace and harmony.

You may not blame me. But those whose words you parrot do. Middle-aged, well to do, white male from the Southern US. We are responsible, or blamed for all the injustices or evils of the world.

What words? Slavery? You feel blamed by the word slavery? If I had more time I'd find the quote where you said... nevermind here it is:

And rather or not someone else’s feelings get hurt or their offended or whatever issue they have comes up, is solely their issue.

I didn't blame you. You saw a word and felt blame. By your own logic your feelings or whatever issue they have is solely your issue. RIGHT?!?!

I mean... I disagree. I would say that "in as much as I can FORESEE someone having such a reaction" then it is on me, but if I cannot foresee it then it's on you. But that's just me and just as you can say you didn't know if I was a guy, girl, or it (which is ironic since I would think that you could at least assume I was a person and not an AI), how would I know that you were from the South? Impossible. On top of that, how would I know you were middle-aged (like me), and well to do? I respect you as far as I have read numerous posts of yours before. And I never stopped to ask you your race, gender, or SSN. So that street goes both ways. And if you react by feeling blame then you can image how a black person might feel to have their color, which represents so much more than melanin or pigment... but the shared experiences, lives lost, struggle for equal rights, 15th ammendment, Dred Scott, Brown vs Board of Education, numerous forms of music, food, and so much more... all of that... ignored by you saying "I don't see color".

See, there is what "black" means to you and what it means to us. It doesn't need to mean the same thing to you, but I would rather you TRY to see at least some of these things when you think of "black" than to seek to erase the word from history. Do you get it?

And about the government. The people who make policy are voted into place. You may not have voted for them but someone did. And so when you say the government is to blame, you are blaming the people that voted them into office.

Yes... some people do deserve blame for how they voted. Absolutely. But again... "in as much as you can FORESEE" the result of that vote. So if someone voted for Trump and didn't know that his administration would lose track of kids parents I can't blame that on even his most die hard voters. If someone voted for Trump, not knowing or believing he was a racist and that his policy ideas linked to Reagan were racially motivated, again, I CANNOT blame even the most Trumpian of Trump's voters. If someone voted for Trump as the lesser of two evils, because they thought Hillary was worse, I disagree BUT... I don't blame them for their vote. Just like I don't blame myself for voting for The Green Party candidate, Jill Stein. Again... you seem to me like a good guy. And I give everyone on this site the benefit of the doubt in general because we have higher standards as Jedi. So no... I don't blame you unless you knew and got the result you were looking for. The same would be true if you were voting for racists in the democratic party before they switched sides and became republicans. If you were voting for them BECAUSE they were racist then I blame you. If you voted for them in spite of them being racist then it is a bit grey. But if you voted not knowing they were racist then I do not blame you at all.

Also, we are discussing solutions in this thread. Well, at least I have offered up a few. But they have either been shot down or LOL’d at. I’m sure all the people you’re advocating for have no ability to stand up for themselves and need you to do it for them. They could never form a million man march on their own or anything like that. They need someone to brow beat others on an internet forum.

No, you were discussing solutions because you wanted to educate me about history as if I didn't know slavery existed in other places. I wasn't brow beating anyone. I was suggesting people stop using the PROBLEMATIC phrase "I don't see color" and replacing it (solution) with "I don't discriminate". It just happens that a couple people elected to argue against my suggestion for whatever reasons. And yes, I'm going to laugh if something is funny. And taking away a law that attempts to protect people by making them more competitive in the job market, even though said law benefits white women more because they use that title of "minority" (which goes for anything designed to benefit "minorities", white women typically benefit more than others), take it away in favor of a social effort all just "start" treating each other like humans. Sorry, but that's funny. It's funny because you seem so much like a realist but in seeking to take away Affirmative Action you cite the most unrealistic, unicorns and rainbows, we are the world, moralistic, politically correct, platitude that perhaps I've heard on race relations and I'm 41. And its not to mock you, not at all. It's to show you that this issue, and this comes from one who has been in the trenches, is far bigger than any simple solution or "can't we all just get along?" proclamation. There are people who literally want to kill people that look like me simply because of the color of their skin. And you think they're going to just agree to stop and treat everyone the same? Do you think they will be deterred by anyone "not seeing color"? I don't think so, but if you want to talk to them and see I'm all for it. You have my support. But you should also consider the fact that these people aren't trying to kill you. They might like to kill me though so it should be understandable if I'm a little more invested. And I don't blame you for that either. In fact, I'm glad you took the time to engage on this issue and I appreciate even the disagreement. It's more than most people do.

If you want to talk about some serious solutions we can do that. I just thought this would not be the right thread.

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #350391 by ZealotX

Fyxe wrote:

ZealotX wrote:
1. reparations

African Americans were promised "40 acres and a mule" after slavery to help them get started in the American economy. When you have a few people who are broke a community the community can pool resources to help those people. Locality based taxation also doesn't inhibit the education opportunities and thus the career opportunities for those children. They all have equal opportunity to prosper. When you contrast this with many African American communities, the people are blamed for being broke as if they are lazy. In reality many people coming to this country benefit from generational wealth. Their communities have more money, therefore better schools, better opportunities. We have proven that better education does have a serious impact. My sister and I were better educated than many people we grew up with and therefore our opportunities were better. Our early education was priced out of range for most African American families; including ours. But it was subsidized by our church (not local, because they couldn't afford it either; but rather regional or national). When we went to public school after that we were more very noticeably ahead of the other kids. And how could they be struggling in school if we weren't and we were black too? It's because their public education was inferior. Because their funding was also inferior. This is just one example of how money affects a community. Thanks, in part, for that subsidy in our formative years, my sister is a doctor and I'm a web developer. My best friend grew up in public schools and went from janitorial work to grounds keeping. One isn't better than the other but one definitely pays better and the taxes go to the schools where you live and where you live determines the housing available. Not many black doctors and lawyers want to live "in the hood".

So even though some of us "make it" there is a domino effect that wealth and the lack thereof has on a community. To deny this is to deny economic reality. It actually costs more to live if you're broke because your interest rates are higher which makes things cost more. If you don't have 20% of a home loan to put down you, for example, also have to pay extra for mortgage insurance. And the value of your home may not even go up like homes in other areas because you often don't get to determine your own property value. This creates situations that are difficult to get out of. And a lot of things are not priced in respect of the poor. So every year college tuition becomes further and further out of reach unless you win a type of lottery and can get a scholarship. That's great, but these are always in limited supply so it always means that the majority will not have the same opportunities as the minority... of the minority. The smaller minority proves what the rest could do with the right investment. But people act like reparations is a hand out. It's not. It's COMPENSATION. Meanwhile, reparations were already given... to slave owners.

Almost everything you have said here is wrong. First the freedmen were given that land at one point, but it was given back by the next president, a southern sympthizer. so there is that. He may have been a dick or he may have been a visionary striving for integration, not sure. beyond that you begin to depict "communities" as segregated populations in which blacks cant participate. That is completely wrong. also education opportunities do not dictate success, that is an excuse that is not accurate. If your sister is a doctor she did that on her own, not because she went to a better preschool. At least give her that credit!! I grew up just as poor and went to public school. But I worked hard and got my degree even though I turned 18 with no money to do anything. But guess what, I went to work and I changed that. your janitor friend started out exactly where I started out. I started out sweeping floors but I spend my free time studying and learning and hustling that made the difference, not a handout from the govt.

Reparations are compensation for what exactly? this generation was never in slavery and neither does this generation own slaves as any sort of legal sort. In fact the US govt spent decades restricting the freedoms of slave owners through new legistation instead of increasing that freedom before the civil war was fought to free them. and once it was over they did a lot to help them. But how long does this have to go on? forever in your eyes it seems. Well the fact remains that it was legal at the time so even though it was not right it was also not a crime. so I see no need to pay people today for self proclaimed crimes done to ancestors. If that was the case I should sue the romans for invading my ancestors lands and enslaving them!! but it does not work that way. If you have a generational beef with what you perceive as past crimes then look up your geneology and find out who owned your ancestors whose offspring are living today and sue them. I see no reason to get the govt involved in this or to try and force me to pay you for a crime that neither one of us had anything to do with.

I lack the energy to deal with this today. I'll deal with it tomorrow.

More
4 years 2 weeks ago - 4 years 2 weeks ago #350392 by Adder

ZealotX wrote:

On one hand I think stereotypes are used by all people to all things until new information replaces it, sort of like a placeholder.

oh... you mean ignorance.

Yes! It would seem you understand my point without realizing it. Not seeing colour is not being guided by the inherent ignorance of not knowing something. Nothing more, nothing less.

ZealotX wrote:

On the other hand, I think its normal for someone who is familiar with something to have a highly detailed and informed, more accurate, version of stereotype which doesn't compare to their other stereotypes of other things in its level of detail and accuracy.... and your name for it on this topic (how'd we get to race in this thread again?) seems to be 'black'

No... I'm quite sure I've only said the opposite. "Black" is not a stereotype. That's not how stereotypes work. A stereotype doesn't get to replace an entire race. Only racists think in absolutes like that. Anyone who is more familiar with black people knows there are different kinds of black people. Black people come in all shapes and sizes.

There are some stereotypes that get applied out of humor, some that get applied out of fear, some that get applied out of anger. I don't traffic in the latter two but I know they exist and I'm aware of the ones aimed at my race. Some of these stereotypes are used to create an air of assumption that black people shouldn't be hired. Why? Because the people advancing those stereotypes did not want to compete against black candidates which they suddenly found themselves doing.

But do you get how offensive it is to call people lazy who were previously forced to work by whips and chains and were forced to meet ridiculous quotas picking cotton from plants that had thorns? But suddenly they had to compete against free slaves so these stereotypes were used to try to give the ex-slaves a disadvantage. And these particular stereotypes evolved and got worse, to the point where criminals and their behavior was being used to represent all black people. At the same time, the thuggish type of cultures was popularized the same way that cowboy culture was. All cowboys weren't good. A lot of them were bandits and people who killed native Americans. But nobody fears that the white guy in the cowboy hat is about to take their land.

And honestly, just this weekend I was over my gf's and forgot to lock my car and someone (most likely white) when through it looking for drugs, probably assuming I was a dope boy because I have dreads and drive a Lexus. But I accept that as kind of an "occupational hazard". But that's different from assuming EVERY black man is a thug. That's progress, lol.

Stereotypes should only be funny. All others should be rejected. That's not going to stop people from "fitting" a more specific description. But at least if you're looking for neck/face tats, white t-shirt, saggy pants, etc. at least that's more specific than "black". And that shows progress in how you see black people. But don't take their color away just because you don't know enough about them to confine stereotypes to more specific descriptions. What about the black doctors, lawyers, engineers, architects, plumbers, real estate agents, etc? I know a lot of them and I know almost no one who is an actual thug. And because of the fact stereotypes can be used as weapons against black people, it is important that the positive black people should ALSO be representative of their race/color. This helps to BALANCE out the negative and attacks the core premises of racism.

If that doesn't make sense, imagine if you're watching the news and every black criminal is called "black" but every reference to a doctor or lawyer is never called black and never shown on camera. Could a person, who trusts the news, not get the impression that black people are all criminals? And you almost hardly even have to imagine this because it does happen a lot on the news and is a small part of what we sometimes refer to as institutional racism.

But fortunately, less people watch the news and more and more people just reject the assignment of criminality to black people as a stereotype. And that's cool. The less we fear each other the more we can cooperate and build a better future for all. Doing that doesn't mean not seeing people's color. It just means not being afraid of it and therefore not believing negative inquiries simply based on outward appearances.

The book has a cover and that cover probably has a color but there's just no need to judge the book by it.

As mentioned I see them serving as a reference models to enable decision making, being approximate yet representative data in lieu of more accurate real data. People who use those to discriminate often exaggerate them for dramatic effect, but its not what the concept really means besides the contemporary social use. I do not bother with broken langauge and definitely don't let it define my path. Disease exists in many forms and its an integral part of life... discrimination is just another form of it. So stereotypical as a repeated and coherent model that serves as a framework for work is inherent to cognition IMO. So from my point of view your actually agreeing with me but you cant get past that black stereotypes is a reference model for most non-blacks (noting no-one said they were bad stereotypes!) unless they have black friends who they use as a reference model instead (because it would be more accurate then useful stereotypes). People with higher exposure to black people would have a greater amount of reference models and so have a reference space.... but it still works the same. To me your seemingly not accepting that stereotypes exist and serve in our minds as models to enable decision making, probably because I didn't explain my view enough or you disagree with it. But no-one here is suggesting to use stereotypes to define something, indeed the whole not seeing colour is overtly rejecting them. For you keep arguing as if people are rejecting the reality in favor of the stereotype (when its the opposite being said) either for one of those two reasons I presume.

Just because people make bad stereotypes doesn't mean all stereotypes are bad or that the use of a stereotype is for abuse or confusion or anything else counter-productive - they can be, but just because something can be misused doesn't have to define that something.

The reality is we are all coloured/colored IMO, but its better to look past the skin deep. If what lies beyond happens to be all about colour/color then so be it. It's not excluding it, its just not limiting to it.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 4 years 2 weeks ago by Adder.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi