Is The Order A Cult?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 2 months ago #348763 by
Replied by on topic Is The Order A Cult?
it is apparent that you wondered enough to post here instead of cleaning your toenails.
id not worry about a ban. your calipers however, may need to be calibrated.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Br. John
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • Founder of The Order
More
4 years 2 months ago #348766 by Br. John
Replied by Br. John on topic Is The Order A Cult?
Alligations like that should be brought out in a wide-open space with the sun shining. Any truth to them will hopefully come out, maybe management discovers something it was not seeing about itself, and the mold and mildew of it generally wither in the light. That's why I moved it to the forum

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amaya

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #348767 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Is The Order A Cult?
That is indeed apparent, you clever clogs! (two gold stars I suppose, you'll want one for the calipers as well)

In fact, I post here often. Did you hope to shame me by pointing out I'm a relatively dedicated participant and supporter of TotJO and Jediism?

I actually like this community and what (as far as I know) it stands for.

If it's of any interest to anyone (it shouldn't be) if I was anywhere near the helm of this ship, many members would be banned with much less justification - but I'm a bit less "everyone is valid" and more "people who treat this place like an extension of 4chan or reddit should stick to sandpits more suitable to their behaviour" than the standing leadership.

Perhaps I'm a bad Jedi? Who knows. I certainly have not been banned, for my ideas or my behaviour, and there's probably at least a few people who think I should have been - so it can't be that bad of a place.
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by JamesSand.
The following user(s) said Thank You: J. K. Barger, Amaya

More
4 years 2 months ago #348768 by JamesSand

Alligations like that should be brought out in a wide-open space with the sun shining. Any truth to them will hopefully come out, maybe management discovers something it was not seeing about itself, and the mold and mildew of it generally wither in the light. That's why I moved it to the forum

That's possible.

It's also possible that garbage should be thrown out with the trash, otherwise you run the risk of attracting vermin.

I have no idea the level of emotion is behind all this, but I've tried to stay out of all the various "strong positions" that have come up over the last few years, regardless of what bans or ragequits and whatnot have come of them. Usually, I suspect, to no long-term benefit of anyone.

I do trust that the overall management of TotJO are responsible adults and usually make decisions, if not necessarily the same ones I would make, can be justified in some context or another.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amaya

More
4 years 2 months ago #348775 by Carlos.Martinez3
So to be fair, I personally know of three different accounts related to this one person in question which is a clear violation of the TOS. Further more, the individual was asked by myself about this violation and the answer was -not understandable and very shady. The Temple is always under scrutiny and attack, ive got a list of insults and attacks that would blow your mind. This is rarely about what you can see but often what most cant.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rex

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #348778 by
Kind of getting back to the theme addressed in the topic of this thread, and away from discussions of individuals:

There are some characteristics of cults that sociologists commonly ascribe to them. Some of them include:

* Founded and led by a very charismatic individual

* Extremely controlling of the daily habits of members, including defining things like the types of clothing to wear, the types of music or
media to attend to, what to eat, and so on.

* Implicit or explicit encouragement to break off relations with family members and old friends.

* Jargon shared in common only among the membership - e.g., "off-world", "Thetans", or commonly-used words that are given a special meaning

* Significant demands upon the time and energy of members

I don't see any of those things at the Temple. Jargon, maybe ... though references to the Force and such are pretty much in the popular domain.

I do not think TOTJO is a cult, based on anything close to a scientific definition. There are those though who define a cult as "any group whose beliefs are different than mine", and there'll be no convincing people like that.
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 2 months ago #348780 by

Br. John wrote:
How Dare You!

How dare I?
How dare I what... ask for more information? from the leader of this board? on a mysterious disappearance of a friend of mine?

I respect all the work you put in but man this seems strange that I get and inscensed response from a simple inquiry. I didnt know what was going on and all these threads kept poppong up and dissapearing and people started dissapearing and all this other stuff.. how are we suppposed to know whats going on if you guys dont convey information? are conspiracies and holding informaiton cult like behaviour? you asked this question, not me. Im just letting you know that without hte information people wonder what you are and what you are up to.

• Br. John
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • Founder of The Order
More
4 years 2 months ago #348782 by Br. John
Replied by Br. John on topic Is The Order A Cult?

Fyxe wrote:

Br. John wrote:
How Dare You!

How dare I?
How dare I what... ask for more information? from the leader of this board? on a mysterious disappearance of a friend of mine?

I respect all the work you put in but man this seems strange that I get and inscensed response from a simple inquiry. I didnt know what was going on and all these threads kept poppong up and dissapearing and people started dissapearing and all this other stuff.. how are we suppposed to know whats going on if you guys dont convey information? are conspiracies and holding informaiton cult like behaviour? you asked this question, not me. Im just letting you know that without hte information people wonder what you are and what you are up to.

Well sheet. I'm sorry. I need new computer glasses. I misread your post as a statement instead of as a question. Big difference.

I apologize for that

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amaya, Carlos.Martinez3,

More
4 years 2 months ago #348783 by JamesSand

I too enjoy sailing.

What's that thing called? When the path you're on is heading into the wind so you make a directional change to regain the best possible speed in as close a direction to where you want to go?

It's hard to do smoothly. I've seen a few head injuries from the boom moving a little faster than people expect....

Really, the best thing about sailing, as opposing to, say, motocross racing, is that the track you leave from your old path....it disappears. a few moments after you start going in a new direction, it's more or less impossible to see where you used to be....

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #348786 by
The definition of any object is dependent on one's perspective.

If a particular group values something and holds it up as the object of religious veneration and yet is deemed over-controlling, sinister, foul, or malicious in nature, then yes, one may define it as a cult.
However, those within the group may not see it that way.
Not to mention, it depends on what one perceives as "good" or "bad".

Now, if the requirements of membership in the said group include adherence to a specific mindset or a certain amount of emotional control, then I would say if you do not like it, do not participate in said group.

HOWEVER, in an organization such as our own, as to what level of control higher-ranking members have over lower-rankings members is not strictly determined (from what I have seen, we aren't oligarchical in nature).

I have always thought of us as open-minded, but it has been obvious as of late, some higher-ranking members may have been overstepping their boundaries.

We are a group of free-thinkers and open-minded individuals, yes, we do have a specific doctrine, but there is room to maneuver within that doctrine.

The obvious solution to this problem is that the member/s with the highest authority need to establish SPECIFIC boundaries for what can and cannot be controlled.

Obviously we must allow room for free thought, and yet chastise those who are unnecessarily histrionic and combative (troublemakers, trolls, etc).
However, beyond that, you must not inhibit an individual's RIGHT to free expression and inquiry, however much you may disapprove of their perspective.

There is a clear separation between opinion and fact, and it is a fact that any member, no matter how high your rank may be, does not have the right to attempt to control others just because you disagree (unless, as I already said, they are deliberately making trouble).

Beyond this issue, however, I would say we are a pretty solid group.
AND CERTAINLY NOT A CULT.
(but don't drink the Kool-Aid)

MEESA HAVE SPAKE

Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by .

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi