Mantras

More
4 years 2 months ago #348003 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic Mantras
I have a bead “rosary “ type I keep handy specifically for meditation on doctrine. It’s a bead counter nothing more but they have different colors and spaces for our temple doctrine.

21 16 3
Maxims Teachings Tenets
I recite them when I need reminder and do it once a month- my choice. I’ll post a pik so you can see later ( were on a vacation currently)

I love when people personalize their own faith.

That’s my Modern day Jediist Mantra but it’s just verbatim scripted. I would LOVE to share some personal stuff with others any day. Ya know - the real real real- lol Force continue to be with y’all !

Ps - for personalization, you can’t complicate things too much - it’s you - Talk to you ! That’s what I do. I hope you can do it too.
Smiley face.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amaya, Jhannuzs Ian

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #348004 by Jhannuzs Ian
Replied by Jhannuzs Ian on topic Mantras
Oh, I understand better now, sometimes my regular understanding of the language makes me slip :silly: not native english speaker here

But the mantra was originally to help me step back

I wonder If... In another context, your mantra could help some alcoholic: so they could have only one drink, STOP, pay, get up and leave.

Specific and general mantras, a Jedi knows when to stop or dance in reality or in their mind

♪ ♫ ♪
Jedi Master: Rosalyn J
Focus, discipline, integriteit, kennis en licht
My code:
The Force is all, I choose my Focus
Life includes suffering, I am Resilient
The Force include my imagination, I extract Wisdom and Harmony
Life includes adversity, I obtain Knowledge
I respect your Life, lets revitalize our Force while breathing
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Jhannuzs Ian.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amaya, Carlos.Martinez3

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 2 months ago #348086 by
Replied by on topic Mantras
I am of the school that believes mantras used in meditation should be simple - no more than four "beats" if they have a rhythm, or six syllables or so if they don't. Done properly, short and simple mantras are conducive to making our mental state more tranquil and our physical condition calmer. Something more resembling an affirmation, like "I am courageous, confident, brilliant, handsome, and a good cook" may have value, but is not a mantra.

I have two very favorites, both from Hinduism which has had a strong influence on my spiritual leanings. The Sanskrit "So Ham" can be said aloud or silently with on syllable on the inbreath, and one on the exhale. A rough English translation is "I Am That", which loosely approximates "I am one with the Force" in Jedi terms. I find it inspires a relaxing of the sense of personal boundaries, and a sense of merging with that which transcends our individuality.

I also like "Om Namaha Shivaya", also a Hindu chant, only because it was frequently used in a spiritual community of which I was a part and induces in me a sense of reverence. It probably would not do the same for people not influenced by Eastern traditions as I have been.

Regarding Jhannuzs' request for a mantra that could prevent an alcoholic from desiring a second drink - others may differ, but I do not see the intent of a mantra being to introduce an intended change to the physical structure of our minds, bodies, or environments. I do not find that a mantra in and of itself is an effective tool for, say, healing an illness, attracting wealth, removing an obstacle, or curbing the desire for a second drink. The tool you or your acquaintance has most likely already been given - not taking the first drink - works better. (As an aside - many good wishes for the healing of whomever it is you have in mind.)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 2 months ago #348087 by
Depends on what is going on in my mind at the time:

tough time "never give up, never surrender."

distraction/negative, "Not now.'

frustration, "Patience"

obsessive thoughts, "Let it go."

I use a few more when certain things come into my mind. The important thing for me is it has to counter what is in my mind and smoothly fit into a gentle inhale-exhale.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 2 months ago #348088 by
I am from a Sikh background, and also a full-time yoga instructor. We have a wide variety of chants, shabads, and mantras. One could say that Shabad is equivalent to the Holy Spirit within Christianity or a manifestation of the Force even. Some are short, and some are actually chanted sections from our "scripture" considered to be an embodiment of the Guru or universal spirit. Our most universal mantra is "Waheguru", which is chanted almost perpetually in a practice known as Naam Japna or Naam Simran. Waheguru being a phrase of both ecstasy and sometimes viewed as a divine name: "Wonderful Dispeller of Darkness". As a yoga teacher, sometimes these are used to manipulate energy or breathing. At others, they serve a more mundane purpose of establishing a rhythm for a movement or action. I know that for me there has been no one-size-fits-all methodology. I've practiced alongside Buddhists, Hindus, Yogis, and numerous others and developed quite the toolbox of sacred sound to use in my spiritual practice. Sound plays a central role in Sikh spiritual practices and devotion.

I'm still very new to the Jedi community, so I'm still exploring the various ways practices here segue with those I've studied in the past.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 2 months ago #348097 by
I also think people make too much out of and make too complex this mantra thing . Success is in the simplicity. IMHO

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi