Would Real Jedi use guns?

More
12 Dec 2019 00:50 #347168 by J_Roz
Replied by J_Roz on topic Would Real Jedi use guns?
I have and will continue to use firearms to protect my livestock, harvest food and protect my person. You don't bring a knife to a gunfight and when coyotes are ripping your beloved livestock apart screaming at them does nothing.

In the woods, a pocket knife will not help you from an angry bear or a pack of coyotes hell-bent on attacking your dog or you.

Use your mind, define your perimeters on what you need to keep yourself safe and figure out what is best for you.

I walk a lot of dark places some are not safe without a firearm and have real monsters. I also take protecting my livestock and my family's way of life very seriously.

Finally, my family is all deer hunters, not trophy hunters. We use them to harvest animals that will keep our family fed through the winter. We live in an extreme climate, a firearm helps us make sure that everyone gets fed. Having been attacked by angry deer a sidearm goes a long way to keeping myself safe.

All things to take into consideration. Sometimes it is better to look through anothers eyes not just your own lenses.

"O Great Spirit, Help me always to speak the truth quietly, to listen with an open mind when others speak, and to remember the peace that may be found in silence"

Kaylee: How come you don't care where you're going?
Book: 'Cause how you get there is the worthier part.
Firefly Series

Apprenticed to: Phortis Nespin
Apprentices: None Currently
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson, Carlos.Martinez3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Dec 2019 02:30 - 12 Dec 2019 03:22 #347170 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Would Real Jedi use guns?
Harm minimization is a big part of my Jedi path and I like to think the fiction supports this by presenting it in its most challenging scenarios. I avoid killing or harming animals, fish and insects etc as much as I can, even if (especially if) they are actively threatening or attacking.
There is a line though, I just incorporate helping all participants not end up over it.
Theraupetic application mindset to guide action, ie healing in its myriad ways.
I try not to eat meat even, but still sneak a bit of chicken too often. I've learnt most things we think are true and normal, even who we're told to trust, is often not the best course of action.
Guns though, a tool. Know how to use them properly so you can know if and how to use them according to your morals (and just laws). They have a purpose I suppose in some circumstances, but they are designed to kill. So hunting, no, I'd rather scavenge or eat plants etc. Warfighting and policing (and sport shooting!) are probably the only valid domains IMO, so it makes me wonder what I would consider to be the best roles in those scenarios for how I see the potential of a Jedi.

Edit: of course civilization shields me from most of these dilemmas.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 12 Dec 2019 03:22 by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Dec 2019 04:03 #347175 by Rex
Replied by Rex on topic Would Real Jedi use guns?
Do Jedi? Yes
Should Jedi? Depends
Jediism isn't limited to only certain people, so it depends on your lifestyle's demands. Some of us may be from countries with few guns and have no use for guns and see the issue as such. Others are from 'murica and use guns as a tool more regularly than most would anticipate.
If you do or don't, the better question is why.

IP Team Lead
TM: Carlos Martinez
ὁ δὲ ἀμυχηδόν νεξέταστος βίος γίγνομαι βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Dec 2019 05:58 #347180 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Would Real Jedi use guns?
My reply disappeared, I can't be bothered writing it again, but lets all agree that "tortfeasor" is a magnificent word.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rex

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Dec 2019 06:45 #347181 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Would Real Jedi use guns?

JamesSand wrote: My reply disappeared, I can't be bothered writing it again, but lets all agree that "tortfeasor" is a magnificent word.


If your doing a 'quick reply' and it gets vanished, sometimes going to the proper 'Reply' button found with the 'Action: button drop down menu will take you to a page which has remembered your post as a draft.

Tortfeasor.... that's the second new word for me today I was reading about Buccaneers and found 'strumpet' :blink: :lol:

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Dec 2019 07:20 #347183 by peaceseeker81
I think it comes down to a personal decision that you have to come to terms with. I personally own a few firearms; for hunting and self defense; but I will stress that choice is not for everyone.

Look inside yourself and if you feel like you should or should not have one then come to peace with that decision.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Dec 2019 15:38 #347197 by ZealotX
Replied by ZealotX on topic Would Real Jedi use guns?

Fyxe wrote:

Geni Jeuls wrote: real jedi have no use for carrying a weapon wherever they go. Learn a martial art, which betters you physically and prepares you for a physical altercation.

Other than that, preparing to take a life is not in-line with our ideals.



I'm not sure if you should use the term "real jedi" and then make a claim about them. I think real jedi can carry guns as well. What if your a jedi in the army? The movie jedi killed all kinds of people with a weapon as deadly as a gun so I'm not sure I see your point here anyway. Why is taking a life like in self defense not good?


Taking a life in any form for any reasons isn't "good". Something that is necessary isn't "good" just because it may be necessary. One should always seek to avoid it if possible. A Jedi's weapon is not limited to his light saber. This is simply one weapon that evolved for many different use cases. For example, even though Kanan used a blaster, a blaster is not an efficient way to block blaster bolts. Jedi focus on defense, not offense. Sending a blaster bolt back to the shooter makes a saber behave like a blaster therefore making the blaster redundant. But some had to use blasters to hide their identities as Jedi.

So in a real world scenario a Jedi could use a gun since a gun fulfills the ability of a light saber to "return fire", hitting someone at a distance. A regular sword can't do that and so it is inferior to a both a gun and extremely inferior to a light saber as a tactical weapon.

However, with that said. Jedi weren't trained to kill people. They were peace keepers. Jedi are also like samurai with a code of honor. Samurai resisted the age of guns because of the lesser need for skill and art form. Samurai were skilled in archery though so ranged weapons is always a consideration in actual battle. But I would say, for the sake of bushido, a true master prefers close quarters combat. A gun shoot out can involve a ton of skills too. Don't get me wrong. But it takes very little effort to kill with a gun than most other weapons. Yes, a sniper has to be really good and adjust for wind but compare this to an archer at the same distance.

So me personally, I own 2 swords and no guns. However, I have been to a couple of gun ranges before and know how to shoot. It's not my preference. I'd rather live in a world without guns; where someone can't spray a hail of bullets and hit everyone in the bullet's path. I'd rather live in a world where bombs can't be dropped from out of sight, ordered by commanders thousands of miles away. We've become to adept at killing each other using technology that is extremely imprecise and undiscriminating. I don't like it because I think it devalues life on this planet overall.

So could a real Jedi use a gun? Absolutely. Should a Jedi prefer it. That's a more personal question I think.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Dec 2019 16:48 #347198 by Whyte Horse
Yes. I use guns. Not for the reasons many might think though. I use them to kill predators who kill my livestock. I use them to overpower thieves and murderers who would take my property or life. Eventually I will use them to save lives or stop tyrants. Something g like that

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Dec 2019 17:34 - 12 Dec 2019 17:37 #347202 by CaesarEJW
Replied by CaesarEJW on topic Would Real Jedi use guns?
Master Kenobi on Lightsabers -
“This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as a blaster; an elegant weapon for a more civilized age.”

I think a Jedi in our world would view firearms with the utmost distaste, however would use them, but only if absolutely necessary.


(note: as a Midwesterner, I LOVE guns, however, they present a point of conflict for me, because while guns are awesome, they are too easy to use, too easy for any angry person to take it out on others in the worst of ways)

“Muddy water is best cleared by leaving it alone.” - Alan Watts
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 Dec 2019 17:37 by CaesarEJW.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Dec 2019 17:53 #347203 by CaesarEJW
Replied by CaesarEJW on topic Would Real Jedi use guns?

ZealotX wrote: Jedi are also like samurai with a code of honor. Samurai resisted the age of guns because of the lesser need for skill and art form.

This is why I have disdain for modern warfare/combat.
Sure, it's technically more humane than hacking someone up with a sharp piece of metal.
But what happened to the good ol' mythical days of glorious battle and a warrior's honor?
I would love to meet my end in the midst of an honorable and just battle, and ascend to Valhalla o'er a field of glory and ruin!
Although, I come from Celtic and Viking heritage, so my blood may run more hot than most.

ZealotX wrote: So me personally, I own 2 swords and no guns. However, I have been to a couple of gun ranges before and know how to shoot. It's not my preference. I'd rather live in a world without guns; where someone can't spray a hail of bullets and hit everyone in the bullet's path. I'd rather live in a world where bombs can't be dropped from out of sight, ordered by commanders thousands of miles away. We've become to adept at killing each other using technology that is extremely imprecise and undiscriminating. I don't like it because I think it devalues life on this planet overall.


Exactly.

ZealotX wrote: So could a real Jedi use a gun? Absolutely. Should a Jedi prefer it. That's a more personal question I think.

Agreed.

“Muddy water is best cleared by leaving it alone.” - Alan Watts

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: KobosBrick