The Jedi and the Bodhisattva

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 4 months ago #345002 by
It occurs to me that the idea of the Jedi as a force for good is aligned with the Buddhist notion of the Bodhisattva or otherwise called the enlightening hero... As I go through the initiate program I may elaborate on this. The Bodhisattva embodying the highest form of hero in his/her role of awakening beings from their ignorance. Could the Jedi then be Bodhisattvas? What would you say are the differences if any?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 4 months ago #345009 by
Replied by on topic The Jedi and the Bodhisattva
I'm new here... And don't know where else to post discussions, I thought open discussions would be the best place for this topic? It's very confusing... I don't understand what you mean by posting comments only will close the discussion?

More
4 years 4 months ago #345011 by OB1Shinobi
Freedom: Open Discussion is a fine place for this topic. The “geometry” poster is spamming and his replies are not really meant to contribute to the discussion.

Would one of the internet wizards confirm that this dudes links are safe to click? Not that i will check them out, lol, i’ll just feel better knowing.

People are complicated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

More
4 years 4 months ago #345012 by Kobos
Replied by Kobos on topic The Jedi and the Bodhisattva
Removed post I didn't confirm the link but it is suspect and against TOS as is

What has to come ? Will my heart grow numb ?
How will I save the world ? By using my mind like a gun
Seems a better weapon, 'cause everybody got heat
I know I carry mine, since the last time I got beat
MF DOOM Books of War

Training Masters: Carlos.Martinez3 and JLSpinner
TB:Nakis
Knight of the Conclave
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 4 months ago #345043 by
<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/mnAF0G4L6Mx68" width="480" height="360" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen>

via GIPHY

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 4 months ago #345072 by
Thank you for clearing that up... So back to the topic... Where do the similarities begin and end when comparing the Jedi and the bodhisattva?

More
4 years 4 months ago #345073 by OB1Shinobi
I imagine the Buddhist enlightened ones probably not too big on chopping people up with laser swords?

People are complicated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 4 months ago #345076 by
That is a good point... Assuming that Jedi are keen on cutting people up? Don't you think that Jedi would use violence as a last resort... And if someone were so evil that they would harm countless others, don't you think that a bodhisattva may eliminate him, knowing that, that course of action is the only one left? Perhaps taking on the role of Kali the enlightened destroyer with wisdom and compassion in check, otherwise what are the Jedi apart from mindless soldiers? Surely to kill sith or robots is 'excusable'. On the other hand, we are talking about Jedi in this temples context, not George lucases fiction, I am sure non here would 'slice someone up'? Are the 'jedi' in this order after the highest perfection or mere fan boys? What are the majority goals of the members? Is it in line with the Bodhisattva ideals?

More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #345098 by OB1Shinobi

Freedom wrote: That is a good point.

Thank you!

Assuming that Jedi are keen on cutting people up? Don't you think that Jedi would use violence as a last resort...

People interpret “last resort” differently.

And if someone were so evil that they would harm countless others, don't you think that a bodhisattva may eliminate him, knowing that, that course of action is the only one left?

Heres an interesting thing about people who profoundly wise: you dont know what they would do. Id have to assume myself as wise as a bodhisattva to answer the question.

Perhaps taking on the role of Kali the enlightened destroyer with wisdom and compassion in check,

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: - As a general rule, i think that people who can imagine themselves to be “compassionate and enlightened destroyers” ought to go outside and play a few rounds of marco polo in the nearest major intersection.

On the other hand, we are talking about Jedi in this temples context, not George lucases fiction, I am sure non here would 'slice someone up'? Are the 'jedi' in this order after the highest perfection or mere fan boys? What are the majority goals of the members?

I couldnt choose which of these two replies was more appropriate so im just gonna say them both and everyone can pick the one they like.

Reply 1: If you cant tell then I cant tell ya. But hey, custom lightsaber threads are pretty popular around here ;-)

Reply 2: hold on, let me tap into the hive mind to hear what our queen wants our goals to be— oh wait, we dont have a hive mind because we’re not the Borg.

Is it in line with the Bodhisattva ideals?

This is our Doctrine . It may be more helpful in answering some your questions than you feel i have been.

People are complicated.
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos, Rex

More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #345105 by Kobos
Replied by Kobos on topic The Jedi and the Bodhisattva
I think I agree with your premise here at the core Freedom. I have done some Buddhist Studies here through the temple community and I see what you getting at. But, I think to put it into context, yes that myth fits to a point, I see Jediism IRL and the doctrine as drawing a close parallel to the idea of the middle-path Buddhism and the Japanese idea of Jin.

As far as adopting the preemptive destroyer myth I would take issue with that. Is there excuse for any sort of preemptive violence? Certainty one should be aware of threats, and be ready to respond (this is the personal scale, national/global relations are way more complex). Would a Bodhiisattva strike first?

Just some thoughts.

Much Love,
Kobos

What has to come ? Will my heart grow numb ?
How will I save the world ? By using my mind like a gun
Seems a better weapon, 'cause everybody got heat
I know I carry mine, since the last time I got beat
MF DOOM Books of War

Training Masters: Carlos.Martinez3 and JLSpinner
TB:Nakis
Knight of the Conclave
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Kobos. Reason: Correcting
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi,

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi