A well-rounded human

More
4 years 5 months ago #344549 by Skryym
A well-rounded human was created by Skryym
Good afternoon. It's been a long time.

I often think of what kind of person I want to be. This feeling is amplified whenever I enter a new stage of life. Society may tell men to act one way or women to act another. We get pushed or prodded into certain career fields, certain personalities, and certain labels that tell us who we are. But consider these quotations.

“The ideal man is a philosopher, artist, and warrior.” – Benvenuto Cellini1

“The nation that will insist on drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking done by cowards.” – William Francis Butler2

What does this mean in your life? In what ways are you (we) warriors, artists, and scholars?

My connection to art is strong enough. Someday I would like to write for a living. For now I write as a hobby. I also enjoy music. When I could not keep playing the piano, I learned the mandolin. When that broke, I learned the harmonica, ocarina, and finally the accordion. But does this make me a hobbyist or an artist? Where do I draw the line between creating value for myself and creating value for the world?

I've spent a combined 15 years of my life working and studying in agriculture or natural resources. If I am ever to have an intellectual impact on a community, it will be within these bounds.

And what of a warrior? I have worked hard to stay in shape - but for what? Ego? I don't believe Cellini should be taken literally - it would be outlandish to claim that every man, women, and child should join the armed forces. Then what kind of warrior am I? What kind of warrior are you?

Sources

Warning: Spoiler!

There is no bad weather, only bad attitudes and bad attire. - Gandalf the Grey
TM: Loudzoo
Skryym's Novice Journal | Meditation Journal | Apprentice Journal | Skryym's 2022 IP Journal |
B.Div Journal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, OB1Shinobi, Kobos

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 5 months ago #344558 by
Replied by on topic A well-rounded human
As a drummer and producer of music. To me any musician is an artist if they write or play songs, music is art, literally. How ever there is a difference between artist, performer and song writer/composer

Being a warrior is not about fighting its about protecting a true warrior stands up for them selves and stands up for what there opinion of "right" is, though again. Just my opinion.

I try not to label people. I try to treat everyone equally, though here in Australia. I have the freedom to do that. I only wish the rest of the world could. but it will happen eventually the world is leading that way weither people like it or not. but again my opinion. I hope that one day we will be able to live with out the more restricting labels of both sexes man and woman and one day the world will come to realise equality is important, equality will bring us together as it always has.

More
4 years 5 months ago #344582 by Malicious
Replied by Malicious on topic A well-rounded human
Hello , I wanted to chime in a little because I'm a little bit of a musician and music lover , I play a wide range of instruments like euphonium/baritone , trombone , tuba , piano , trumpet , a little bit of violin and saxophone , guitar , contrabass , flute and ocarina . I love all kinds of music but their are two kinds I really ain't into and those are K-pop and hip-hop/rap , other than that I like any other music mostly classical , rock of any kind , metal of any kind , and country music . I can sing a little too but I don't think I'm all to good .

=_= Malicious (+_+)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 5 months ago #344700 by
Replied by on topic A well-rounded human
This can be interpreted in so many ways!
Fascinating!
I guess it really comes down to each individual's subjective impression of how these things may apply to them.
I would say I am somewhat of a warrior because of my constant struggle with anxiety and depression, hence battling my own mind.
An artist, because I love to create music, poetry, and paintings.
And a philosopher because I love pondering the abstract, the deeper aspects that make up our ever complex and subtle reality.

More
4 years 5 months ago #344701 by Carlos.Martinez3
Warriors - Gardner’s - monks - sentries - guards - Scouts - Knights- leaders- cultivators - educators - students - heads - chiefs -
There are so many real and metaphoric titles we can assume and connect with its , for me at least, as much a joy as it is crazy. The Star Wars opera has so many different ideas and different archetypes that most are bound to connect with more than one. There are so many different ways to say the same thing. In religion, there are many different variations of the selfless. Without religion you can find that “ path “ as well, the selfless. There are many selfless ideas.
The well rounded idea to me is to have the balance of these listed. To have they fully self sufficient type of character, thats what we share here.

To me, the question is - “ what of the every day actual rather than what isn’t ?” It’s cool to be The Solo or the Knight and to learn freely from them and to have goals and forms and even a good character from a story. That’s what an open welcoming myth can do for us (can if we like) but what of the now? What pays the rent or fills our tank of gas and love when they are empty? Where’s the Force on a hump day!? What of the dads and moms and lawyers and workers and bartenders and janitors as well as the warriors and hobbits and Ents or trolls and Solos and and princesses Siths Jeddist and even ... humans. That’s my question. Smiley face. Not taking away from any of your actual questions !! Force continue to be with ya as we all seek it.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Skryym,

More
4 years 5 months ago #344721 by Streen
Replied by Streen on topic A well-rounded human

Skryym wrote:

“The ideal man is a philosopher, artist, and warrior.” – Benvenuto Cellini1

What does this mean in your life? In what ways are you (we) warriors, artists, and scholars?

I find that encouraging, as I am a philosopher, painter, writer, musician and martial artist. I feel that having so many ways to express myself, I'm never bored or frustrated about my life.

As Bruce Lee often said, to honestly express oneself is very difficult to do. I would add that it must be done.

The truth is always greater than the words we use to describe it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

More
4 years 5 months ago #344766 by Skryym
Replied by Skryym on topic A well-rounded human

Carlos.Martinez3 wrote:
To me, the question is - “ what of the every day actual rather than what isn’t ?” It’s cool to be The Solo or the Knight and to learn freely from them and to have goals and forms and even a good character from a story. That’s what an open welcoming myth can do for us (can if we like) but what of the now? What pays the rent or fills our tank of gas and love when they are empty? Where’s the Force on a hump day!? What of the dads and moms and lawyers and workers and bartenders and janitors as well as the warriors and hobbits and Ents or trolls and Solos and and princesses Siths Jeddist and even ... humans. That’s my question. Smiley face. Not taking away from any of your actual questions !! Force continue to be with ya as we all seek it.

Carlos, I always appreciate how your responses prompt additional questions, or guide me to consider an aspect of a problem that eluded me before. It’s easy to think about how I (or we) might be great thinkers, warriors, and artists in (dare I say it) mythological proportions, but these only have a real global impact in our everyday actions of everyday people. so for now that means I will seek to add art, grace, and glory to flipping spatulas ;) I’ll never be a great warrior but I can fight to make the best food for customers, or I can fight to plant right mixture of trees on a farm.

There is no bad weather, only bad attitudes and bad attire. - Gandalf the Grey
TM: Loudzoo
Skryym's Novice Journal | Meditation Journal | Apprentice Journal | Skryym's 2022 IP Journal |
B.Div Journal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

More
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #344771 by Carlos.Martinez3

Skryym wrote:

Carlos.Martinez3 wrote:

Carlos, I always appreciate how your responses prompt additional questions, or guide me to consider an aspect of a problem that eluded me before. It’s easy to think about how I (or we) might be great thinkers, warriors, and artists in (dare I say it) mythological proportions, but these only have a real global impact in our everyday actions of everyday people. so for now that means I will seek to add art, grace, and glory to flipping spatulas ;) I’ll never be a great warrior but I can fight to make the best food for customers, or I can fight to plant right mixture of trees on a farm.

And that’s what it’s all about my friend in the end. I am glad there are folks like you. I’m glad there are people in the world who care. I’m glad for the entire Force- even the one I don’t know or can’t know. Force continue to be with you !

The human potential can be found at any place at any level...by any one.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by Carlos.Martinez3.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi