Should Information Be Free?

More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #344662 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Should Information Be Free?
I was into the promise of free info via cyberspace in the late 80s, and it has delivered greatly. The difference is humungus from then and now.

But it seems like bad discrimination to ask, for 'all' information has different values to different people. The ideals of freedom tend to cover a spectrum between a non-consequential type of nihilism asserting [strike]thongs[/strike] things have no value, and a consequential utopianism where value is irrelevant.... but reality instead seems to be strung out between them, depending on the demand, accessibility and attributes if the thing. Each person asserts their own values on things as measures of affordances of avoidance, so the problem seems to be the only thing that is 'all' is the category itself. In that regard then, I'd say no, 'all' information shouldn't be free to access, at 'any' amount by 'anyone' or thing at 'any' time. 

Should all information be free to 'me', he'll yea! But that would be greedy, selfish and unfair so.....

I'd say lawful society mediates this tension to balance demands for the greater good. Since the scale of that task is well beyond the scope of any power (other then dictatorships, oppressive regimes, cults etc) the provision of it needs to happen at the level if the consumer/participant to assert balance between the first hand experiences as much as parasitical practical, hence the Court system. Precedents get set, legislation established, and society either moves forward or backwards. To measure that movement is equally broad, but as population increases it seems logical values will shrink as resources are distributed and so maybe it's natural for increasing democracies to tend to nihilism, forcing governments to become more controlling to limit the harmful results of that shift. A solution might be to get more resources probably, but given that is dangerous people probably distract themselves with other sorts of information to create new landscapes of value, ie the information age.

I would hate it if the marketplace was the only way to access information though, for that would be like going backwards to when it was harder and more expensive to create sources of information.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Adder. Reason: funny autocorrects
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi, TheDude

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 6 months ago #344665 by
Replied by on topic Should Information Be Free?
Creative/intellectual property should only be free by consent of the owner, and personal information, probably the same, but all information that doesn't fit into those two boxes should probably be free. And while we are talking about this, why the hell do we have to pay for internet access? It's not like it's physically taxing or laborious to push a damn button. But maybe I just don't understand how it works.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 6 months ago #344671 by
I think that information must be free for personal usage and cost money if you want to use it in your own projects. For example, it should be free just to listen to the music on your phone, but you need to pay for it to the performer if you want to use it on your YouTube video, for example.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 6 months ago #344673 by
Should the information concerning the inherent qualities and defining parameters of said information be free? What is free? What is what? Why is what? What is why?
¿PROPORCIONAR RESPUESTAS INTELECTUALES EN LA MEDIA RUTA A PREGUNTAS MENOS SIGNIFICATIVAS MEJORARÁ SU PROPIO VALOR?
I think not.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 6 months ago #344674 by
我的屁股很癢
Translate these wise words, and you will know the truth.

More
4 years 6 months ago #344681 by ZealotX
Replied by ZealotX on topic Should Information Be Free?

Rex wrote:

ZealotX wrote: Information should be free but profiting from it should be restricted to those who purchase a license.

What does that mean.

When I was young, if you wanted to make 3D computer games you pretty much needed a game engine. Problem was it cost thousands of dollars to license it so it was very restrictive who could use that "information" and build on that platform in order to create their own game. Now, if you want to make games you can use Unity. Unity is like a dream come true for many people, including myself. It's free to use but if you make over $100,000 in a year from using it (funding or revenue) then you need a commercial license. So basically, they're saying you can use their "information" but if using it allows you to make enough money that you can afford a commercial license then that's when you pay. This means when they're able to help people achieve success then those successful developers help support the company in return. And aside from that they have an asset store where they probably make money from small transactions of 3rd party devs selling components and 3d modesls and stuff to each other.

But basically, money doesn't have to be a barrier to entry if you use this type of model. Information could be made free through a "personal license" and then people could buy a commercial license in order to support the developer/inventor if they become successful using that information.

And it's smart for Unity too because now you have x amount of developers, learning and using their platform which helps them compete against established engines that have since put out their own free licenses to stay competitive. In 2015, Unreal Engine 4 went free for personal use, showing how effective the free model is.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi, Rex

More
4 years 6 months ago #344682 by ZealotX

Rainbow Firefly wrote: I think that information must be free for personal usage and cost money if you want to use it in your own projects. For example, it should be free just to listen to the music on your phone, but you need to pay for it to the performer if you want to use it on your YouTube video, for example.

I don't think music should be free unless its only a part of the song, like the instrumentals or the beat. Things that can be used in other things, to make completed works of art. And then if you use it you should pay based on how much it contributed to profit being made from that completed work. So basically I think you should be able to use something in an effort to make money and pay everyone if its successful. They lose nothing if you fail. However, if its a complete work it should be paid for. Either $1/track or some kind of subscription service.

Now if something is paid for with advertising (like on the radio) that's different but in 2019 its easy to listen without ads. The bottom line is that you always want to make sure that whoever made the music is compensated so that they can keep making music.

More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #344684 by Carlos.Martinez3
Is music and info different ?

Truthfully, my library has as many books as we do songs. Some one has to pay the bills right ?
Where does that balance kick in?

Edit: the music industry thrives on the masses - does the info industry do the same thing? Would be kinna different if they did like songs ...

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Carlos.Martinez3.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 6 months ago #344687 by
I would suggest that libraries are basically free sources of almost limitless information, but I suppose we have to consider the taxes that keep them open and the fact that you have to have an address to check anything out (which means paying for your home.)

I have to say I agree with the notion that the people who have spent their lives studying and researching and working to assemble information in an accessible format should be compensated for their efforts. People sacrifice precious resources, time and money and energy, to share their knowledge; it only makes sense that they be compensated for that in some way.

I can't speak for everywhere, but I live in California and over the years I have become fairly close to a lot of my previous teachers and professors from different points in my educational experience. These are distributors of information, instructors in critical thinking, formative curators of the minds of American youth, and they struggle WAY more to support themselves and their families than I believe they should. There have been a few educator strikes as a result of the issues concerning their compensation. School admins make so much money, and they often have little if any interaction with the students. I don't think this is fair at all, and that's purely looking at the issues with education systems. The wider world is going to have even wider issues, so ultimately I think information comes with a price whether we like it or not. If people want to learn and better themselves there is going to be a measure of sacrifice in that pursuit, because odds are somebody else has or is going to sacrifice something of their own just to make that information accessible.

More
4 years 6 months ago #344689 by ZealotX

Tmattos93 wrote: I would suggest that libraries are basically free sources of almost limitless information, but I suppose we have to consider the taxes that keep them open and the fact that you have to have an address to check anything out (which means paying for your home.)

I have to say I agree with the notion that the people who have spent their lives studying and researching and working to assemble information in an accessible format should be compensated for their efforts. People sacrifice precious resources, time and money and energy, to share their knowledge; it only makes sense that they be compensated for that in some way.

I can't speak for everywhere, but I live in California and over the years I have become fairly close to a lot of my previous teachers and professors from different points in my educational experience. These are distributors of information, instructors in critical thinking, formative curators of the minds of American youth, and they struggle WAY more to support themselves and their families than I believe they should. There have been a few educator strikes as a result of the issues concerning their compensation. School admins make so much money, and they often have little if any interaction with the students. I don't think this is fair at all, and that's purely looking at the issues with education systems. The wider world is going to have even wider issues, so ultimately I think information comes with a price whether we like it or not. If people want to learn and better themselves there is going to be a measure of sacrifice in that pursuit, because odds are somebody else has or is going to sacrifice something of their own just to make that information accessible.

Don't libraries buy their books?

"Libraries offer authors two things. They can buy their books, which nets the author some royalties. They can also offer exposure, allowing the author to gain a new audience who might buy their books the next time rather than just borrowing them. For libraries to survive, authors must keep creating books."

So basically, an author is getting compensated. It's not really free. And its the author's choice. They're not forced into it so basically they only do it if they think its a benefit in the long run. This is why a lot of books go to library after sales have slowed down just like movies go to video and eventually to TV. TV pays one time and millions of people get to watch it. Same thing.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi