Following the Myth

More
08 Oct 2019 13:57 #344206 by Kelrax Lorcken
Replied by Kelrax Lorcken on topic Following the Myth

JamesSand wrote:

I also come to realize some of what Fyxe has in mind is not just spiritual but cultural; perhaps not in practical ways, but I myself have proposed things here as hopeful unifying cultural pieces that weren't any more popular, or necessarily practical. At this point, I don't necessarily see how anything would even need to change, here, just some new bonus activities, it may prove rather stimulating, even promote greater enthusiasm in the existing programs as we learn and examine more!

This comes up every now and again, under various guises, and there is a brief spark of interest by those whom are interested, but almost as fast, if not faster than the "Yes" crowd can shuffle themselves into something resembling a formed group, the "No" crowd comes together to create a din of objection - they're too poor, too busy, too isolated, too shy, too injured, they don't relate to the suggestion, or any other reason why any given suggested act or motif that establishes a "unifying culture" is untenable to them.

and so, for the sake of the "individuals" we all wander back to our own separate paths, destined to meander aimlessly with whatever meager goals we can generate for ourselves....

Yeah, you have a point there, eternal ray of sunshine that you are :P

Of course it's not as though none of us have anything in common, here, already.

In any case, do you, Fyxe. Whatever floats your boat, as they say, just make sure it doesn't sink someone else's :P

Kelrax "Stormcaller" Lorcken, Jedi Navigator
May The Force Guide You
www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/47-Jo...-stormcaller?start=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Oct 2019 12:16 #344227 by ZealotX
Replied by ZealotX on topic Following the Myth

Carlos.Martinez3 wrote: I used to hear the old expression “I don’t need anyone to tell me how to worship, I can do that on my own. “ AND truthfully - they don’t. We have such a - free will- type of ability to choose so many avenues the option to do nothing always seems - present. If you hang out with those who like the color red - don’t be surprised at the color of shirt they give you. The same can be said for who we “yolk” or hang out with. After a while we tend - I know I do - tend to start acting like them. It has its good and its bad.

Balance is always needed with almost anything. The Myth is no exception. Find your myths. Find your real ones. If it’s Star Wars then it’s SW if it’s Star Trek then it’s Trek- if it’s a hobbits type of deal - then it’s that and it can even be a mix of real - current or fantasy myths. The idea is to give options to MAKE those choices and grow from them- never NOT grow. Spiritually if ya need help - I’m Pastor here and we have lots of clergy who can help ya find your nitch or at least give ya some encouragement.

www.templeofthejediorder.org/community/1629-steamboat28
www.templeofthejediorder.org/community/16755-raxicorico
www.templeofthejediorder.org/community/20117-thedude
www.templeofthejediorder.org/community/12547-j-k-barger
www.templeofthejediorder.org/community/17539-carlos-martinez3

There are other clergy throughout the Temple so feel free to reach out! That’s what we do!

Well here's a practical idea.

Please ask the person in charge of the forum to create a new forum for "Star Wars Mythos". And a few starter threads like "Luke", "Yoda", "Kenobi", "Anakin", etc. Those who want to talk about certain characters and their role and journey, can in a more serious way than currently afforded in the fan forum. Jedi who choose to can also add their own name and share their own wisdom while still keeping their personal journals private. They can easily copy and past things they want to share from their private journal to their public thread. This way everyone isn't so walled off. You can add another thread for Jedi vs Sith ideology where that can be debated in the context of the mythos. And all participation is voluntary. If people use it, cool. If they don't, cool. But I think it would be good to make it an option. If other religions can be represented and have serious places to talk about the bible I see no reason not to do the same for the mythos that inspires us all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, OB1Shinobi, Kobos, Brick, Kelrax Lorcken, Fyxe

More
09 Oct 2019 12:47 #344228 by Brick
Replied by Brick on topic Following the Myth

ZealotX wrote: Well here's a practical idea.

Please ask the person in charge of the forum to create a new forum for "Star Wars Mythos". And a few starter threads like "Luke", "Yoda", "Kenobi", "Anakin", etc. Those who want to talk about certain characters and their role and journey, can in a more serious way than currently afforded in the fan forum. Jedi who choose to can also add their own name and share their own wisdom while still keeping their personal journals private. They can easily copy and past things they want to share from their private journal to their public thread. This way everyone isn't so walled off. You can add another thread for Jedi vs Sith ideology where that can be debated in the context of the mythos. And all participation is voluntary. If people use it, cool. If they don't, cool. But I think it would be good to make it an option. If other religions can be represented and have serious places to talk about the bible I see no reason not to do the same for the mythos that inspires us all.

Would this not all fall under the 'Jediism' Forum? Given that already is the place for our religion to be represented and discussed in a serious space?

Welcome Team, IP Team, and Apprentice to Maitre Chevalier Jedi Alexandre Orion

IP Journal | IP Journal 2 | AP Journal | Open Journal

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rex

More
09 Oct 2019 12:48 #344229 by ZealotX

Brick wrote:

ZealotX wrote: Well here's a practical idea.

Would this not all fall under the 'Jediism' Forum? Given that already is the place for our religion to be represented and discussed in a serious space?

My friend, you may have a point there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brick, Rex, Kelrax Lorcken

More
16 Oct 2019 17:18 - 16 Oct 2019 18:09 #344477 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Following the Myth

ZealotX wrote: Please ask the person in charge of the forum to create a new forum for "Star Wars Mythos". And a few starter threads like "Luke", "Yoda", "Kenobi", "Anakin", etc. Those who want to talk about certain characters and their role and journey, can in a more serious way than currently afforded in the fan forum.

The very first thing i want to say here is that i like the discussion you are suggesting; i think an exploration into some of the characters could be quite rewarding for those who participate.
Im curious where the limits are, however. What exactly is mythology? Is it just entertainment that people still remember? Would we say The Simpsons are mythological? What about I Love Lucy? If mythology is different from mere entertainment, how do we identify the genuinely mythological elements in SW and filter out all the bits that were really just people trying to come up with a story that readers would think was cool? Does Jar-Jar get mythos status? What about colonel Akbar?

I dont think you need anyones permission or assistance to get this thing going. I’d bet dollars to doughnuts that if you (or anyone) were to open a topic in either the Jediism or the Open Discussions forums that it would be allowed to carry on for as long as people were cordial with one another.

Jedi who choose to can also add their own name and share their own wisdom while still keeping their personal journals private. They can easily copy and past things they want to share from their private journal to their public thread. This way everyone isn't so walled off.

This sounds like it would encourage people to assume themselves wise and present themselves as some kind of gurus. Im of the view that the better part of wisdom for most of us is to keep most of our “wisdom” to ourselves lol. However, i also think this place is better off with more conversations than with fewer conversations and im supportive of anything that gets people talking. Maybe just open such a topic and show us what this would actually look like?

You can add another thread for Jedi vs Sith ideology where that can be debated in the context of the mythos.

Though this brings us back to the issue of filtering out the mythology from the from the fluff, i do like this idea. Im assuming when you say “in the context of the mythos” that you specifically mean to stay mindful of the distinction between the jedi and sith of the stories and the jedi and sith of real life? And the discussion youre suggesting is to focus on the stories?

Finally, here is my rant about where i think the mythology of SW has failed. Its in a spoiler because its not really relevant to this discussion but i really wanted to say it, anyway lol

Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

Beware of unearned wisdom.
-Carl Jung
Last edit: 16 Oct 2019 18:09 by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos

More
18 Oct 2019 14:14 #344588 by ZealotX
www.jedifederation.org/

I want to share this here because I think it has some relevance to the discussion. But I will use a spoiler tag since its from another site. This was, I believe written in 2016 by Angelus Kalen, talking about the current state of Jediism. I'm personally going to try to make the next gathering.

Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

Moderators: KobosBrick