Following the Myth

More
03 Oct 2019 19:08 #344066 by ZealotX
Replied by ZealotX on topic Following the Myth

Kohadre wrote:

ZealotX wrote: We know Jedi history isn't real. Obviously. But who said it had to be? Who makes those rules about religion and why would/should we follow them? What child doesn't know the story of the three little pigs? Or could fill in the blanks if you mentioned porridge that was "juuuuust right"? What child doesn't know how to do the hokey pokey? Do you know how old that is? And we keep repeating the story of Santa Claus and have a whole holiday where he try not to go broke buying gifts. Not to mention the tooth fairy.

We do all these things get to be fake as fake can be and yet we seem to be scared to actually use star wars mythology for, from my perspective, the exact same purposes?


From my experience, this has to do more with societal expectations/norms; and localized culture than much of anything else. A Christian celebrating Christmas, probably isn't going to be received that well in an Islamic community where the recognized celebrations center around "Eid al-Fitr" for example.

In certain communities, celebrating any religious holiday that falls outside of the cultural norms can even be taken as an insult; regardless if that was the intention. Even living in the U.S where such differences are meant to be celebrated, I've seen people become violently angry when those celebrating "alternative" religious holidays come into the mix.

An example I can give of this, is certain groups of Christians fighting against the "happy holidays" greeting. People within these groups sincerely believe that the holiday season is meant for Christmas, and Christmas only.

So I believe our fear comes more from our intuitive understanding that society in general tends to be intolerant, or otherwise less than understanding of views and celebrations that go against their own established traditions.


I hear you but Christmas is actually a pagan holy day (sun worship) that was adopted by Christianity. When I was religious I would bring this up a lot because I couldn't understand why Christians would defend it when the bible was clearly against any kind of idolatry or mixing of gentile/pagan practices.

I believe the person responsible for this, in large part, was Constantine. Why? Because he "converted" to Christianity after having been a sun worshiper. However, since it appears that this was in his political best interest, he had a motive to blend paganism (to some degree) into Christianity. This happened so long ago few people even still question it. And this wasn't the only time.

wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/101983605

The "saints", and other christian concepts were used to hide pagan beliefs: The Trinity, "Mother of God", Easter Eggs, etc. Many Christians don't even know where paganism ends and their religion begins. So, I hear you and I'm not saying you're wrong. However, what I am saying is that there isn't an infinite wall of separation between cultures and religions. Religions will adopt whatever they want just like the bible adopted the Epic of Gilgamesh and simply changed it to fit their narrative. This kind of mixing and borrowing has been happening since the very beginning. The more people like something the more willing they will be to adopt it. Who doesn't like star wars? (well... who among us doesn't like star wars?)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kohadre

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2019 19:23 #344068 by Eleven
Replied by Eleven on topic Following the Myth
We’re based off the philosophy of the Jedi of the movies in the sense we’re Jedi however I feel it’s based on the person the Jedi no a group or a set core philosophy or religious views . There are a mutal agreement on certain things but, you walk your own path and your might be different than mine and vice versa.

Learn to walk your own path.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos, Brick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2019 19:25 #344069 by Rex
Replied by Rex on topic Following the Myth
Euhemerization is the word you're looking for. Christians co-opted many pagan traditions and used them as teaching points for their theology to the point that some of the practices are essentially a part of the Christian tradition. Everything is written in a context and is either based off of or reacting to something else in a certain sense. The Genesis creation myth in Abrahamic religions is almost certainly a polemic meant to contrast the Enuma Elish.

This thread is about litigating why we (at TotJO) don't celebrate life day while wearing brown robes and waving around lightsabers. At this point, I think that all of us TotJO members generally appreciate the value of many other religion's traditions while recognizing the ability of them to be problematic. I also think that the FAQ I copied into the last of these similar threads answers most of the OP

IP Team Lead
TM: Carlos Martinez
ὁ δὲ ἀμυχηδόν νεξέταστος βίος γίγνομαι βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2019 19:38 #344070 by ZealotX
Replied by ZealotX on topic Following the Myth

Rex wrote: Euhemerization is the word you're looking for. Christians co-opted many pagan traditions and used them as teaching points for their theology to the point that some of the practices are essentially a part of the Christian tradition. Everything is written in a context and is either based off of or reacting to something else in a certain sense. The Genesis creation myth in Abrahamic religions is almost certainly a polemic meant to contrast the Enuma Elish.

This thread is about litigating why we (at TotJO) don't celebrate life day while wearing brown robes and waving around lightsabers. At this point, I think that all of us TotJO members generally appreciate the value of many other religion's traditions while recognizing the ability of them to be problematic. I also think that the FAQ I copied into the last of these similar threads answers most of the OP


I've never heard that word before so thank you for teaching me something new.

As for wearing robes and celebrating Life day I didn't get that from the OP. It's certainly not what I was thinking in my response. I don't think Jedi should wear robes anymore than Christians should dress like Samson or Elijah. But we know the stories and pass them down as part of a tradition. My real name is theophoric as are many if not most other people. Most biblical writers are said to have written by "inspiration". We too are inspired by star wars. What form that inspiration takes doesn't have to be scripted or enumerated or codified. But if some are inspired by star wars in deeper ways, what's wrong with that? The question of it not being real shouldn't even be part of the conversation just like Noah's ark and whether the flood was global or local isn't what most Christians are thinking about. And that didn't stop Christians from building one in Kentucky.

I think that some of us are scared we wont be taken seriously by other religions if we look too much like a bunch of star wars nerds.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brick, Rex

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2019 20:27 #344072 by Fyxe
Replied by Fyxe on topic Following the Myth
Oh yes! fear and scared are paths to the dark side!

So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth

Know what that means? People dont drink the liquid (join the mythology) because its full of disease (corruption). If you are hot then follow the teachings of the myth as they were meant to be followed! If you are cold then go away and that is fine because you have other things going on. But dont be lukewarm! dont invent your own version and call it this version. That is disease. A friend showed me an amazing site where the teachings are taught in original form as they were meant to be lived. I want to live that way.

As for light sabers, whats wrong with learning a light saber? other religions have the cross or that funny star thing or a pentacle or whatever, so why not a light saber for our myth following? are you ashamed? or lukewamr? I think a temple is in order as well. I found one on amazon for 180 bucks! it can be a traveling tent revival. The jedi recruited. if we weant this to grow lets grow it! we can travel from town to down like jedi did from planet ot planet and find other Jjedi! that is what they did so thats what I do!


Where ever you go, there you are. Make the best of it.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2019 20:54 #344073 by Kohadre
Replied by Kohadre on topic Following the Myth

Fyxe wrote: Oh yes! fear and scared are paths to the dark side!

So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth

Know what that means? People dont drink the liquid (join the mythology) because its full of disease (corruption). If you are hot then follow the teachings of the myth as they were meant to be followed! If you are cold then go away and that is fine because you have other things going on. But dont be lukewarm! dont invent your own version and call it this version. That is disease. A friend showed me an amazing site where the teachings are taught in original form as they were meant to be lived. I want to live that way.

As for light sabers, whats wrong with learning a light saber? other religions have the cross or that funny star thing or a pentacle or whatever, so why not a light saber for our myth following? are you ashamed? or lukewamr? I think a temple is in order as well. I found one on amazon for 180 bucks! it can be a traveling tent revival. The jedi recruited. if we weant this to grow lets grow it! we can travel from town to down like jedi did from planet ot planet and find other Jjedi! that is what they did so thats what I do!


It's honestly difficult to tell whether your are being authentic in your posts, or just trolling for a drawn out laugh.

If you want to be a homeless; nomadic, religious vagabond - by all means pursue that interest. Having been a homeless transient myself prior in life however, I can personally assure you that the romanticized vision of "wanderlust" the public has is nothing like what life is like when homeless.

You will be hungry, thirsty, dirty, smelly; and at constant risk of attack from both other homeless individuals, as well as members of the general public. Police will quickly become your personal enemy, as they run you out from town after town.

Remember the doctrine; embody the code.
Live the creed; embrace the 16 teachings.
Honor your vows.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brick, Rex, forestjedi

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2019 21:46 #344075 by Fyxe
Replied by Fyxe on topic Following the Myth
no body ever said anything about homeless??:angry:

none of these poeple were...

www.jonasclark.com/americas-greatest-tent-preachers/

Where ever you go, there you are. Make the best of it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2019 21:57 #344076 by Fyxe
Replied by Fyxe on topic Following the Myth
and whats more, you are supposed to be like some sort of apprentice or something right? like do you have a trainer? did you go through these lessons of IP? this comes from those very teachings. Why dont you know these things?

Where ever you go, there you are. Make the best of it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kohadre

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2019 21:59 #344077 by Fyxe
Replied by Fyxe on topic Following the Myth
Sorry... was that aggressive? dont mean it that way, Im just wondering,

Where ever you go, there you are. Make the best of it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2019 23:25 #344080 by Kohadre
Replied by Kohadre on topic Following the Myth

Fyxe wrote: and whats more, you are supposed to be like some sort of apprentice or something right? like do you have a trainer? did you go through these lessons of IP? this comes from those very teachings. Why dont you know these things?


Good questions.

Yes, I am currently within apprenticeship here at TOTJO; specifically under Knight Firewolf.

As a prerequisite to this apprenticeship, yes; I did in fact complete the IP and all it's associated lessons. However, since I joined TOTJO over 6 years ago (time flies) the IP has undergone numerous changes, edits, and adaptations to bring it to it's present format. Because of that, the IP I underwent training in; and the IP that you are undergoing training within are going to have some fundamental differences when compared.

Also, even though I completed the IP in years prior; it does not mean that I agreed with every lesson or element of doctrine it promoted. That's not entirely the point of the IP either, as it's meant more to teach you how to think rather than what to think. Although we have a doctrine here at TOTJO, we do not offer the IP as a means through which to indoctrinate our members.

When I undertook and completed the IP, it was not our intended goal nor purpose to go out into the world and proselytize our beliefs upon the general public in the manner that a Jehovah's witness or other wandering ministry would. The temple at that time had more of a mindset that those meant for a path centered upon Jediism, would naturally find their own way.

There is (or was) not as much of a drive to convert others to our faith either; as we did not offer the salvation that Christianity or other abrahamic faiths would seek to offer. TOTJO has not, and to my knowledge does not promote the worship of a single deity; nor pantheon of deities that would be common to other faiths.

Nor, do we worship the Force; despite having our community centered on the subject.

To assume that I do not "know these things" because I fail to live as a literal, unquestioning embodiment of them is itself a logical fallacy, and again indicates a desire to adhere to what I would describe as "fundamental extremism" Jediism.

-Koh.

Remember the doctrine; embody the code.
Live the creed; embrace the 16 teachings.
Honor your vows.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi, Brick, Rex

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: KobosBrick