Alcohol

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #343792 by
Replied by on topic Alcohol
I'm an alcoholic who is seven years sober (actually my sobriety date is tomorrow).
Should Jedi drink alcohol? I see no reason why not. The caveat of course would be to do so in moderation and responsibly. Being Jedi in my view is a verb so getting drunk and being irresponsible or drinking to unsafe levels seems incongruous to how I would imagine a Jedi.
Can I drink? No I can't. I lost that privilege seven years ago.
I hope you can make some judgement based on the responses above on how to approach alcohol.
The best thing about going sober is it introduced me to Jedi Philosophy in a practical and meaningful way. My blog is sort of a journal to that.
Best

Ps. Here is what Wookeipiedia says about booze:
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Alcohol/Legends

I remember the episode in Clone Wars when Hondo Ohnaka spikes Anakin's and Kenobi's alcoholic drinks and then tries to ransom them off with Dooku. Have to give it to him, he had some nerve!
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 7 months ago #343798 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic Alcohol

Rex wrote: ...alcohol (even outside of acute toxicity) is definitely poisonous.

Hormesis, anyone?

Frequent consumption in small doses might actually be cardio-protective, the same way exercise triggers more oxidative stress (i.e. aging and inflammation), but ultimately leads to better long term health than no exercise.

I would say the drug-of-choice itself is not the problem. The problem lies in how we misuse things (drugs and not-drugs alike) to soothe a psychological and/or physiological pain that is not actually addressed or resolved by the thing, and is thus destructive.

For me, I was lucky to not be exposed to alcohol until very late in college, so I never made the connection between alcohol and coping mechanism, and thus I am less likely to use it as a tool of addiction.

Junk food... that's another matter. Since I can remember, family reunions (where happiness and fun abounds, at least when you have a huge latino family with a hundred cousins) where centered around big heavy meals, life-events were celebrated with french fries, pizza, burgers and donuts, and sad moments were dealt with by downing entire boxes of oreos with milk.

So, I struggle with that stuff all the time, and will probably continue to experience its pull for the rest of my life.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amaya, Kobos, Rex

More
4 years 7 months ago #343802 by Rex
Replied by Rex on topic Alcohol
Very good point. I'm not sure what the dosing is for alcohol's hormetic effect(s), but I would assume it's under the liver's metabolic rate for ethanol (~10mL/hr I think) which is less than what most people drink in a session

Most other drugs don't really hit a stimulus point that's beneficial in any way (other than like strychnine which I doubt anyone uses)

The psychological effects are also a very significant part of the problem for sure.

Knights Secretary's Secretary
Apprentices: Vandrar
TM: Carlos Martinez
"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes" - Wittgenstein
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

More
4 years 7 months ago #343831 by Tannis Yarl
Replied by Tannis Yarl on topic Alcohol
I like Key-lime pie. The store has whole pies for $6, or 2 slices for $4. Common sense and thrift say buy the whole pie, but I know myself. If it's there I'll keep picking at it until I've eaten the whole thing, so I by the 2 slices and avoid temptation until my next shopping run. I'm the same way with alcohol. If it's in the house I'm having a drink. I control it to the degree that I only drink after I'm home from work, and on my days off, but once I start I don't stop till it's time to sleep. My last physical showed elevated Liver enzymes and a ultrasound showed a fatty liver, so I've stopped drinking alcohol completely. My point is that it is a personal matter that each of us has to determine for ourselves. Know yourself and how it effects you, then decide what works for you and do it.

Tannis Yarl
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos, Rex

More
4 years 7 months ago #343843 by Leah Starspectre
Replied by Leah Starspectre on topic Alcohol
I recently became a certified sommelier (wine/spirits expert). Prior to this, I drank maybe one ot two servings of alcohol every few months. Since completing my program, and starting work at a vineyard, I now drink an average of several servings per day, on most days.

I know that alcoholism is addictive and terribly destructive. I keep on top of it by frequently asking myself: "Is this indulgence or compulsion?"

I believe that responsible indulgence is healthy, but as soon as it turns to compulsion you have a problem. Its similar to the Buddhist concept of loving kindness vs attachment.

What is the Jedi way when it comes to alcohol? If I were to make a call based on the Jedi Path I've been walking, it's that alcohol itself is not inherently bad. It's our behaviour toward it that makes it healthy or destructive. As long as your consumption is in balance with your life and health, then cheers my friend! I'll drink to you and your Path!

More
4 years 7 months ago #343845 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Alcohol
At one point, I had a list of every topic where we discussed Jedi attitudes on drugs of every kind, cloaks, robes, and lightsabers. Maybe I should dig that back up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos, Rex

More
4 years 7 months ago #343849 by Rex
Replied by Rex on topic Alcohol
We just need a superthread/sticky for these oh-so-common topics (including "physical temple?")

Knights Secretary's Secretary
Apprentices: Vandrar
TM: Carlos Martinez
"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes" - Wittgenstein
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Kobos

More
4 years 7 months ago #343852 by Brick
Replied by Brick on topic Alcohol
In the UK we have a massive drinking culture, its how we bond with others, its how we relax, its how we let loose, its often how we self-medicate (bad idea).

I've heard people talk about how much Brits drink in compared to the rest of the world, but never really realise the difference until I'm in another country. I've just come back from a week in Italy and had expected to have a lot to wine whilst I was out there. I think I had 2 glasses with 2 meals the whole week, is stark contrast to what I'm used to haha!

In terms of Jediism, I see no issue with drinking alcohol. I think that's a matter for the individual in question. However, I would say that (like everything) it should be done in moderation, and people should know their limits.

As a side note, I do Sober for October every year and I think that does a good job of reminding me that I don't actually need a drink to have a good time. It also saves me a lot of money haha!

Apprentice to Maitre Chevalier Jedi Alexandre Orion

Moderator | Welcome Team | IP Team

IP Journal | IP Journal 2 | AP Journal | Open Journal

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amaya, Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos, Rex

More
4 years 7 months ago #343857 by TheDude
Replied by TheDude on topic Alcohol
When I drink I need at least 5 beers or shots to feel anything at all from them. If I want to get tipsy, make it 10. If I want to get drunk, somewhere around 15. Consequently it’s an expensive habit, and when I drink around people from other parts of the country they think I’ve had too much before I feel anything at all, so many of them end up thinking I’m an alcoholic. It’s not like I’m overweight or anything, that’s just how alcohol effects me. If my tolerance were any higher I’d have to drink half a bottle of whiskey to even get a buzz. I usually don’t waste my money on drinks because they do so little to me. Especially when I go to a concert or something, it’s $11 for a beer. I make $11/hour, but some of that doesn’t come to me, so I’d have to work multiple hours to afford one beer at a concert and I’d need to spend close to $60 to feel anything, closer to $40 in most bars. It’s not worth it. I don’t even drink often, maybe once every other month, and only at home so I can afford it.

I wouldn’t say my mind is impaired until around the 10-12 servings mark, so I don’t see it as harmful to me, just a waste of cash.

More
4 years 7 months ago #343870 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic Alcohol

TheDude wrote: When I drink I need at least 5 beers or shots to feel anything at all from them. If I want to get tipsy, make it 10. If I want to get drunk, somewhere around 15. Consequently it’s an expensive habit, and when I drink around people from other parts of the country they think I’ve had too much before I feel anything at all, so many of them end up thinking I’m an alcoholic. It’s not like I’m overweight or anything, that’s just how alcohol effects me. If my tolerance were any higher I’d have to drink half a bottle of whiskey to even get a buzz. I usually don’t waste my money on drinks because they do so little to me. Especially when I go to a concert or something, it’s $11 for a beer. I make $11/hour, but some of that doesn’t come to me, so I’d have to work multiple hours to afford one beer at a concert and I’d need to spend close to $60 to feel anything, closer to $40 in most bars. It’s not worth it. I don’t even drink often, maybe once every other month, and only at home so I can afford it.

I wouldn’t say my mind is impaired until around the 10-12 servings mark, so I don’t see it as harmful to me, just a waste of cash.

You are cordially invited to Ecuador. I will get you drunk for less than $20. :laugh:

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: TheDude, Kobos, Brick, Rex

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi