Safe for Young Children

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 8 months ago #342101 by
Replied by on topic Safe for Young Children

Carlos.Martinez3 wrote: Like a book?

No, since they’d see the interactions of ToTJO Jedi there. They just wouldn’t be able to reply or start threads in ToTJO Proper.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #342103 by Carlos.Martinez3
What happens when the Temple becomes 18+? Will this fix the issue or will it cause more dramma?

Attachment 656F8E7A-C35E-4812-8B41-466B4A75DBEF.jpeg not found

Will there be a day when the dramma ends or is part of the whole ebb and flow - the dramma as well?
I think personally - it’s all part of the flow and I know it’s a part of my path here. So I can run or I can hide - get spit on bucked off or I can take a hint from my buddies in a band ...

Attachment DBD16C33-4FB6-4154-B549-A2F427AC4472.jpeg not found

learn to ride.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
4 years 8 months ago #342123 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Safe for Young Children
We are currently not far off that Phoenix. Our current plans for the future diverge though.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

• Neaj Pa Bol
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • Faith is daring the soul to go beyond what the eyes can see...
More
4 years 8 months ago #342133 by Neaj Pa Bol
Replied by Neaj Pa Bol on topic Safe for Young Children

Phoenix Vidensia wrote:

ren wrote: It is completely illegal for 6 or 8 year olds to be here. We do not want them here at that age.

... and yet, I've read it multiple times... "if it's not something you'd show your 8 year old"... basically, it's not okay for this forum. If 8 year old children aren't allowed here... I don't understand this rule.

Youth here has always been a hot and tough discussion, but, the quote is just an example to set precedent to the would be young surfer finding us and seeing what is on public display of that in mind. 13 is the age minimum and parent consent, etc., is a requirement.

Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Let the improvement of yourself keep you so busy that you have no time to criticize others. Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

Participated in the making of the book, “The Jedi Compass”with 2 articles.

For today I serve so that tomorrow I may serve again. One step, One Vow, One Moment... Too always remember it is not about me... Master Neaj Pa Bol

Faith is daring the soul to go beyond what the eyes can see...

Faith is a journey, not a guilt trip...

Quiet your emotions to find inner peace. Learn from ignorance to foster knowledge.
Enjoy your passions but be immersed in serenity. Understand the chaos to see the harmony.
Life and death is to be one with the Force.

Apprentice's: Master Zanthan Storm, Jaxxy (Master Rachat et Espoir (Bridgette Barker))

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 8 months ago #342137 by
Replied by on topic Safe for Young Children
I always thought conducting one's self in such a manner was a standard of "polite conversation" Like, not "I'm hanging out with my friends in my own home" but "I'm talking to a strange old lady on the bus"? I mean, I know I could stand to conduct myself more in such a manner.

So, I don't read such a suggestion as "please think of the children" so much as "just be civil, guys".

More
4 years 7 months ago #342436 by ZealotX
Replied by ZealotX on topic Safe for Young Children

Phoenix Vidensia wrote:

JamesSand wrote: Other than winning the internet - what is your motivation for all the grand suggestions lately?

What do you see the temple as now?
What is your vision for it in the future?

from there we can presumably find the difference and areas of necessary growth or pruning.

Just sharing ideas, questions, suggestions...

Currently, I think this place suffers because of its need to be "G" rated. This need for "G" rating is due to this place being "kid friendly". I also see this place as far too closed, too strict at times, poorly staffed, poorly run, badly marketed... and in general, there is a massive failure in communication skills between leadership here.

What is my vision for this place (future tense) ?

1. Guest area. This will include...
Guest journals
General discussion
Other Paths (Grey, Sith... and so on)
Cantina
Youth Area (13+ only)

It should be moderated lightly, as these are guests, not necessarily ToTJO Jedi.

2. ToTJO proper. (Read only access for Guests).

ToTJO Journals
ToTJO Subforums (all existing)
ToTJO Proper (Temple)

3. Help Area

Site assistance (where you can post bugs and such)
User Questions (private area between mods and members)
Disciplinary (place where disciplinary action is logged, so people who are banned, know why).

.... you asked.

These are actually good ideas.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos,

More
4 years 7 months ago #342439 by ZealotX
Replied by ZealotX on topic Safe for Young Children

JamesSand wrote: Okay, so we change the layout of the fora, what will all this achieve?

What do you want TotJO to be? how will your proposed changes create that?

it would go a long way of taking care of some of the biggest issues that we seem to have.

Think of it as city engineering. You have residential zones, commercial zones, etc. Different areas could have different regulations. Then you would have less over policing because the police could focus on areas that you're really not allowed to be disruptive in, while people who do have bigger personalities may be more comfortable in the Cantina where they can relax and start crazy conversations with like minded people. There's simply no reason to police everyone's fun if everyone is having fun in the right place. There would be much less banning. Another thing is managing expectations. We've had people posting in Open Discussions with different expectations of what's allowed. You can have almost anything as long as people know what they're getting into and can form some reasonable expectation. This will encourage more people to most, more diverse topics to be created, etc. I would still keep the old forum. I would simply add a new one to slowly transition to. I'd suggest something with groups, not just forums.

JomSocial
https://www.jomsocial.com/demo
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos,

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
4 years 7 months ago #342447 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Safe for Young Children
People probably remember totjo's peak in the 2010-13 era. I was on top of the sockpuppet accounts and generally knew who was up to what. Jestor was a major peacekeeping force on the forum and on top of things with the kids too. People respected us and we didn't mind putting in the hours. Then people, many of whom aren't even around anymore, turned up and thought they knew better,used the rumour mill for political gain (? I know right wtf). I resigned, jestor eventually did too. No-one has put as much work into totjo as we did then, except maybe rosalyn, and she burnt out too.

The forum permissions were changed before and it didn't improve things... we ended up with 2 threads per topic, complaints about it, and guess what... the guest threads were the most popular.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos, Brick

More
4 years 7 months ago #342455 by Brick
Replied by Brick on topic Safe for Young Children
I think 13 is the youngest you're allowed to be on here. The FAQ also directs all minors to speak with a youth officer as soon as they sign up. I also used to be welcoming message sent out to all new accounts directing them to this (I might start doing that again).

Though I'm not sure who the Youth Officers are anymore? Used to be Edan and JRoz for a bit. Edan definitely isn't around anymore, not sure about JRoz? Edan actually used to get in touch with their parent/guardians and confirm that they were happy for their child to be on here.

So we certainly USED TO BE about as good as anyone could expect us to be at making the place safe for kids.

Apprentice to Maitre Chevalier Jedi Alexandre Orion

Moderator | Welcome Team | IP Team

IP Journal | IP Journal 2 | AP Journal | Open Journal

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi