Accountability of the laws spirit beyond its letter

More
4 years 10 months ago #339869 by Manu

Carlos.Martinez3 wrote: Does any one Have any objection to locking this thread for 12 hrs as a time
Out break type of thing till mediation is done or what ever is needed or any possible Solution can me Made or come To?

I object.

Stop micromanaging community interaction. We all learn from our mistakes.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #339870 by Proteus

Is that a suggestion or a demand?

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

More
4 years 10 months ago #339872 by Manu

Proteus wrote:

Is that a suggestion or a demand?

A suggestion. Re-reading it I can see how it might come across as demanding. Sorry. :P

- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: Proteus, Carlos.Martinez3

More
4 years 10 months ago #339877 by Adder
It was already locked and later unlocked. Cool off locks are not the end of the world, and have been in use since at least long as I've been a member.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

More
4 years 10 months ago #339888 by Manu

Adder wrote: It was already locked and later unlocked. Cool off locks are not the end of the world, and have been in use since at least long as I've been a member.

Granted. But arguments getting heated are not the end of the world either. I wonder what the membership who are put on cool off here learn, and how that transfers into their offline interactions, where there is no big brother to micromanage their interactions, or the fallout?

- William Arthur Ward

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 10 months ago #339898 by

Manu wrote:

Adder wrote: It was already locked and later unlocked. Cool off locks are not the end of the world, and have been in use since at least long as I've been a member.

Granted. But arguments getting heated are not the end of the world either. I wonder what the membership who are put on cool off here learn, and how that transfers into their offline interactions, where there is no big brother to micromanage their interactions, or the fallout?

I would argue that an attempt at keeping the piece is a far cry from micromanaging. Public fighting and drunkenness are typically against the law, as they are, or lead to, a disturbance of the peace. Is an officer, than, micromanaging a heated social interaction, or are they trying restore/preserve the peace?

Furthermore, when a conversation that goes private, only to be dragged back into public, and has devolved to vulgarity and personal attacks, that's more than what I would call a heated argument.

If accountability is the topic of this discussion, well, how can our authorities be accountable if we demonize them for acting with authority? Who will keep the peace if the peacekeepers are expected to just sit back and watch it crumble?

If you'll forgive the comparison, when your own children are fighting, verbally or physically, do just watch it escalate out of control, or do you step in, separate them, give them a chance to cool down? Unpopular as the idea is, adults kind of need this too, if nothing else, to ask themselves "is this the hill I want to die on?"

In this context, I feel it's not a matter of controlling people, but reminding people to control themselves.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 10 months ago #339902 by
As the force is one we should seek unity in all things. Too many rules stifle the spirit but no rules leads to anarchy. Said by a supreme Yogi. I don’t know the full details nor i pretend to anything. Sorry if this comes as bad taste. But internal division and the promiscuous use of ones power as a officer leads to a divided house. And a divided house cannot stand. The Force is infinite this it allows to infinite manifestations, see all as the unity as one Force manifesting in many.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
4 years 9 months ago #339947 by ren

If you'll forgive the comparison, when your own children are fighting, verbally or physically, do just watch it escalate out of control, or do you step in, separate them, give them a chance to cool down?

The great thing about children is that although some of them display no emotional control, they very quickly get over their issues, turning from bitter enemies to best of friends within minutes.

Either way, I would never recommend an adult involves themselves in an argument between children. Bouncers and cops also don't get involved in arguments between couples or friends.

Issues don't get resolved via third party intervention, and unresolved issues are causes for escalation. While a third party's indifference is not helpful, it is not detrimental.

The need or want for it at Totjo says a lot.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

More
4 years 9 months ago #339951 by Proteus
I've mediated several social issues pretty successfully here at the the temple and else where over the years. My learned understanding and continued experience shows nothing wrong with it. Giving two people time to take a break to think on things is a pretty commonly used tool in the process. It's not intended to be invasive. Pm's are not prohibited nor is communication elsewhere between involved parties.

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3,

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #339955 by ren
Is your mediation technique comparable to locking a thread? Also if people will continue with their argument elsewhere anyway, is it not fair to say that it is them and only them who will put an end to the argument?

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by ren.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi