What Is Your Personal Directive as a Jedi?

More
5 years 1 week ago - 5 years 1 week ago #335689 by Proteus
I've come to understand that what it means to be a Jedi is different for every individual here, at least on some specific level. According to these differences, we have members with very different approaches to how they interact with others. Some are more open, laid back, quiet, etc, while others are a bit more radical, passionate, or strait forward, and some are particular mixes of these.

So I am curious, what kind of Jedi do you consider yourself and why? What is you personal directive as a Jedi?

Perhaps talking about this can help us better understand each other when we interact? :)

(Edit: Could a moderator please move this to open discussions? Thanks!)

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
Last edit: 5 years 1 week ago by Proteus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 1 week ago #335690 by
To uphold valour, to know virtue and only virtue. To defend the helpless and defend the forsaken. To speak only truth, and to undo the wicked. To bring peace, break darkness, and spread light.

As I have sworn to do, and will always do, that is my directive as a Jedi.

This pursuit is not one that can be taken passively. You have to be passionate, straightforward, and a touch radical. Yes, I am known, by all whom have met me, to be relaxed, calm, even a reassuring presence.

But question my resolve to my oaths, and my wrath will undo you. I will break the darkness you spread through ignorant statements, and I will bring light and shed it upon the ugliness that is your statements.

This doesn't only go to myself. But to all. I do not take kindly to creeping darkness, and will push it back at the root.

More
5 years 1 week ago #335695 by Kobos
So, I don't, anymore, have a personal outlook on Jediism and I suppose a personal directive as a Jedi.

I am going to just say I am of service. That is a fluid thing. Here (TOTJO) trying to provide others space to learn their own path to service if that is what they wish. That's where I am now, it's fluid it will change.

Much Love, Respect and Peace,
Kobos

What has to come ? Will my heart grow numb ?
How will I save the world ? By using my mind like a gun
Seems a better weapon, 'cause everybody got heat
I know I carry mine, since the last time I got beat
MF DOOM Books of War

Training Masters: Carlos.Martinez3 and JLSpinner
TB:Nakis
Knight of the Conclave
The following user(s) said Thank You: Proteus,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 1 week ago - 5 years 1 week ago #335702 by
I guess first you might have to describe exactly what you mean by a personal directive? My understanding of that term is a document that you can sign giving authority to another in case you become mentally incapacitated. If you mean it in the context of a personal code of conduct or creed to live by well I guess I have to question if one such code is actually required to be a Jedi? Is it required to have one in the name of a chosen title?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL8chWFuM-s
Last edit: 5 years 1 week ago by .

More
5 years 1 week ago #335710 by Manu
Should we interpret "Personal Directive" to be similar to the Star Trek Prime Directive?

Wikipedia wrote: In the fictional universe of Star Trek, the Prime Directive (also known as "Starfleet General Order 1", "General Order 1", and the "non-interference directive") is a guiding principle of Starfleet, prohibiting its members from interfering with the internal and natural development of alien civilizations. The Prime Directive applies particularly to civilizations which are below a certain threshold of technological, scientific and cultural development; preventing starship crews from using their superior technology to impose their own values or ideals on them. Since its introduction in the first season of the original Star Trek series, it has served as the plot focus of numerous episodes of the various Star Trek series.

If so, I would include within the "core" of the Jedi path the ability to exert power over our world (both inner and outer), moving away from chaos/ignorance/suffering by becoming self-aware of proactive rather than easily triggered and reactive.

Warning: Spoiler!

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: Proteus, Kobos

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 1 week ago #335718 by

Manu wrote: If so, I would include within the "core" of the Jedi path the ability to exert power over our world (both inner and outer), moving away from chaos/ignorance/suffering by becoming self-aware of proactive rather than easily triggered and reactive.

Warning: Spoiler!

Well in the absence of any sort of clarification from the OP let's just run with this for a moment. If this is a common trait of a Jedi it seems to be almost universally absent in anyone here who obtains the rank of knight. You and I as Jedi persevere but I have seen almost everyone here that goes through the process and obtains knighthood eventually melt down and resign from positions as well as make grandiose claims this place is not what it should be, claim they are victims of a corrupt system, charge unfair treatment, and even leaving altogether in protest. The latest demonstration of this not withstanding has left yet another position here empty. So what is it about jedi that are capable of withstanding and enduring the so called "core" of this path you point out while a knight cracks under the mantle of this charge and breaks? Is this place not training worthy knights or is the training lacking somehow or is the expectations of a knight to much to bear? What is this difference between those that just want to be jedi and those that want knighthood in their mental approach to this place? It seems like the attainment of knighthood either causes people to disappear, either behind the curtain of restricted boards here at the site or altogether and those that don't seem to have this idea they should command a specific respect and enjoy a certain authority without having to earn it. They begin to make demands and order people around and expect their wisdom to be universal and when those expectations are not met they get indignant. I dont understand why these people insist on trying to make everyone into the version of themselves they think we should be instead of celebrating us for who we already are.

More
5 years 1 week ago #335721 by Carlos.Martinez3
As I study and grow - so does my goals and “ directive.” As I progress here so does my focus. ( clergy and all)
When I began I was all solo and thinking the world was agains this guy ... such a fight and such anger - then after a few realizations and time - there wasn’t such opposition. There was but once I chilled out and began to let room for ceartaim changes and ceartain practices - yea I stand here today with the goals of - becoming the help I needed at a very real moment in life’s around me as well as myself. Real talk - my practice helps me to be the selfless I choose. In the real world - I have changed my stars. Many have the same claim. Many try. Like me many fail. Many learn.many loos and many change but that’s - for me - what’s its all about - growth and change. Consistently inconsistent is life and so am I. Some one once told me carlos - Not every one here needs help. That changed my directive to maybe I can just be a influence of the possibilities - just one. Imagine when two show up? Lol any how my prime focus is alway cultivation. Grow weed feed grow. Show without blinding
Cut without hurting
Guide without leading
These are the hardest things for me and those are just a few of my “directives.”
Thank you for the question!

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, Proteus, Kobos

More
5 years 1 week ago #335723 by Proteus
Sorry about the late reply with my work having me hustle overtime! Haha!

I just meant, if you had a vision of what you might consider your life purpose, or specialized contribution to society in general, as honed and refined through the lens of the Jedi path, what would it be?

For example, clear and fair communication and understanding is probably one of my biggest priorities when it comes to my interactions with the world. It's the basis for everything that it helps me achieve. With clearer understanding and good communication (developed by learning the social psychology of people around me) I'm often able clear up situations where others simply jump rashly into a black or white view of others. I've found these kinds of things to be a source of misunderstandings, where people make decisions and remarks more out of emotional reactions than not only logic but empathy.

Something else here: I really didn't want the drama of recent here invading and taking over this topic. If we can try to approach this discussion without drawing responses simply from that, I think it will help to reap more objectively thoughtful ideas.

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos

More
5 years 1 week ago - 5 years 1 week ago #335724 by Kobos
Kyrin, It's Ego.

It eats everyone no matter how disciplined. Rank, status, positions it does it, when you either deny or rely on the ego too much (very simple to do when trying to discipline the self) you exhaust yourself trying to appease it either way (Paradox of ridding the self of the ego in practice). All of us, in the simplest terms, need to learn when to say F' it (and how to), listen better, and lose some of the super personal connection to the world we wish to see. Sometimes just sometimes, saying F'it does mean throwing rank, I do it in the classroom all the time.

This is a straight example from my work life, right now I kinda suck at I (I figure being a Jedi is actively trying to be better at this via my connection to the Force, so, with a spiritual connection). I guess when I say I don't have a personal directive as a Jedi its kind of ignorant of me, because well I am trying to understand when to say F' it, but, then again, I want to help other people learn when they should say F' it and how. That point is different for all people. So, I think in time we lose sight of that as we learn to limit ourselves. So we come off as preachy or in a superior toned attitude. This is why there are days where mentally and emotionally I am literally destroyed by the behavior of people, students or colleagues(beyond normal work fatigue). It can make me edgy sometimes or more prone to seeing attacks colleagues, though they are not, they are simply stating relevant things.

Anyways as applies to here hopefully, when I work through to knighthood, it is a goal of mine, I would remember what I have written above. Oh since I have recently just realized that everything is fluid.........yes it's a fluid response :)

Just a couple cents :)

Much Love, Respect and Peace,
Kobos

What has to come ? Will my heart grow numb ?
How will I save the world ? By using my mind like a gun
Seems a better weapon, 'cause everybody got heat
I know I carry mine, since the last time I got beat
MF DOOM Books of War

Training Masters: Carlos.Martinez3 and JLSpinner
TB:Nakis
Knight of the Conclave
Last edit: 5 years 1 week ago by Kobos.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, Proteus, Carlos.Martinez3

More
5 years 1 week ago #335733 by Manu

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: If this is a common trait of a Jedi it seems to be almost universally absent in anyone here who obtains the rank of knight.

First off, you may be overgeneralizing. Second, I can’t presume that my vision for what the Jedi path is should be the same for everyone.

I don’t understand why these people insist on trying to make everyone into the version of themselves they think we should be instead of celebrating us for who we already are.

* Insert I don’t know, you tell me Leslie Chow gif

We see only the tip of the iceberg. If I were to go on appearances, I would assume you yourself had a “meltdown” not long ago. I could also easily assume your constant posting method is a reflection of your need to make everyone fit into your worldview.

I instead prefer not to make any hard assumptions. Do you?

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: Proteus, Kobos

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi