Sithism

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 9 months ago #340457 by
Replied by on topic Sithism

Carlos.Martinez3 wrote: Funny but I subscribe to what I call the “ All Myth” which says pretty much all myths for all people. ( Huge label taker off - er for me) Without titles ... would we just be humans making our paths as we go along and adjusting as we live? Would balance be balance if it were found regardless of “where “ or what label we add to it ? If things are a lie and we find them else where ... are they still lies or unattainable if we find them by other means?

I like that perspective, Carlos. I recall the thoughts of an author I encountered long ago, who suggested thinking of ultimate truth as a large, precious jewel in the center of a room. Each of our faith traditions is like a window into the room, and each window allows a view of only a few facetsof the jewel. Due to differences in position, each view is a little different from all of the others. We tend to assess reality with what we see through our chosen window, and while that's helpful we fall short of perfection when we confuse the window with the jewel.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago #340458 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic Sithism

VixensVengeance wrote: As I Sith I do not seek self improvement nor perfection. What I seek is wholeness,... completeness of who I already am. In this pursuit I take in both the lies and the truths and integrate them into one being.

Oneness is a great thing to aim for almost always! Some call it many thing and some don’t call it anything at all. What ever the call - it CAN be a benefit to all who seek it.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

More
4 years 9 months ago #340459 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic Sithism

Omhu Cuspor wrote:

Carlos.Martinez3 wrote: Funny but I subscribe to what I call the “ All Myth” which says pretty much all myths for all people. ( Huge label taker off - er for me) Without titles ... would we just be humans making our paths as we go along and adjusting as we live? Would balance be balance if it were found regardless of “where “ or what label we add to it ? If things are a lie and we find them else where ... are they still lies or unattainable if we find them by other means?

I like that perspective, Carlos. I recall the thoughts of an author I encountered long ago, who suggested thinking of ultimate truth as a large, precious jewel in the center of a room. Each of our faith traditions is like a window into the room, and each window allows a view of only a few facetsof the jewel. Due to differences in position, each view is a little different from all of the others. We tend to assess reality with what we see through our chosen window, and while that's helpful we fall short of perfection when we confuse the window with the jewel.

Very Indra's net.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indra%27s_net

Thank you for sharing that with me. I Kinna like it ! Perfection is cooking for means even that has a sliding scale that taste great ! Happy seeking

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: ,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 9 months ago #340525 by

Alethea Thompson wrote: Order of the Sith and Force Academy are the places I'd suggest. ToTJO use to have a Sith affiliate but I have no idea what happened to the archives.

FA? I don’t recommend it for Sith studies. The leader of the forum is closer to dark Jedi and the DA hasn’t been much to speak of for a while now.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 9 months ago #340527 by

Khaos wrote:

LTK wrote: I don't know much about the modern Sith but I'm pretty sure they're not trying to emulate all aspects of the fictional characters that carried the name.

It would be cool to be able to throw lightning.

Not even maliciously, it would just make me feel that much cooler, and I imagine, after the government got done experimenting on me, I would be the life of parties.

I would probably become a DJ with an awesome show.

If they began experimenting on you, it’s highly unlikely they would ever release you. You would go missing, never to be found again. That’s more likely.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 9 months ago #340528 by

Omhu Cuspor wrote: It's interesting to see this old thread become active again. I didn't see it the first time around.

I'm hearing some of the advocates for Sithism here assert that their philosophy/faith does not mirror that of the Sith of the movies ... that instead it is a path toward self-improvement, and the expansion of control over one's life and environment. Fair enough. But if it's unrelated to the movie-version Sith, why call it Sithism? Why not just - well, self improvement?

Real-world Jedi, while we don't wear robes or aspire to levitate things, still use the Jedi characters of fiction as models defining our values and worldview. We believe in the Force, in the merits of service and sacrifice, and that our choices in response to life situations are bounded by an ethical code. The way the movie-based Jedi conduct themselves and look at life serves as a standard we endeavor to use in choosing our own conduct.

Real-world Sith, it seems, don't do that. It appears to me that they, in explaining their belief system, have to take pains to emphasize that they are not like the movie Sith, that they are neither murderous nor cruel nor power-mad. That is good to hear, but to my ears it makes the label of Sith pretty meaningless. Preferring the Jedi path myself, it strikes me as analogous to my saying I am a bologna sandwich but I really am not made up of flour and pork parts, and do not fit in a lunch box; I just like to call myself that.

I've become too facetious and I apologize, but the metaphor still seems to fit as far as I can tell.

Real world Sith philosophy is possible but as I’ve come to conclude, it’s a near perfect match to the fiction. Minus mass murder for seemingly its own sake, it’s very realistic as a path.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 9 months ago #340529 by
And why do you exclude mass murder, tempest?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 9 months ago #340536 by

VixensVengeance wrote: And why do you exclude mass murder, tempest?

Why is this even a question?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #340537 by

Tempest Nox wrote:

Its a simple question. Why don't you answer it. Why do you consider the realm of mass murder outside the wheel house of a Sith?
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by .

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #340538 by Kohadre
Replied by Kohadre on topic Sithism

VixensVengeance wrote:

Tempest Nox wrote:

Its a simple question. Why don't you answer it. Why do you consider the realm of mass murder outside the wheel house of a Sith?

The sith weren't alone in their practices of murder and genocide.

Canonically, the Jedi were responsible for the genocidal extermination of the pure blood sith species.

They also were well known for maiming and dismemberment of their foes, even if less lethal means (force push, etc) could have been used instead.

The Jedi were never good;. They were only ever in control, with the backing and immunity of the Republic to pardon their actions.

They were also widely known to abduct or kidnap force sensitive children.

So long and thanks for all the fish
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Kohadre.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi