Sithism

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #189407 by
Replied by on topic Sithism

LTK wrote: I don't know much about the modern Sith but I'm pretty sure they're not trying to emulate all aspects of the fictional characters that carried the name.

It would be cool to be able to throw lightning.

Not even maliciously, it would just make me feel that much cooler, and I imagine, after the government got done experimenting on me, I would be the life of parties.

I would probably become a DJ with an awesome show.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago #189419 by Alethea Thompson
Replied by Alethea Thompson on topic Sithism
Order of the Sith and Force Academy are the places I'd suggest. ToTJO use to have a Sith affiliate but I have no idea what happened to the archives.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 9 months ago #340416 by
I agree.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 8 months ago #340428 by
Can't say I never met one. I don't usually hear many good things about them per se. Some like many beliefs have their good and bad. Some had been antagonistic to other jedi and some just want to be alone and do their own thing. Can't be certain though.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 8 months ago #340447 by
It's interesting to see this old thread become active again. I didn't see it the first time around.

I'm hearing some of the advocates for Sithism here assert that their philosophy/faith does not mirror that of the Sith of the movies ... that instead it is a path toward self-improvement, and the expansion of control over one's life and environment. Fair enough. But if it's unrelated to the movie-version Sith, why call it Sithism? Why not just - well, self improvement?

Real-world Jedi, while we don't wear robes or aspire to levitate things, still use the Jedi characters of fiction as models defining our values and worldview. We believe in the Force, in the merits of service and sacrifice, and that our choices in response to life situations are bounded by an ethical code. The way the movie-based Jedi conduct themselves and look at life serves as a standard we endeavor to use in choosing our own conduct.

Real-world Sith, it seems, don't do that. It appears to me that they, in explaining their belief system, have to take pains to emphasize that they are not like the movie Sith, that they are neither murderous nor cruel nor power-mad. That is good to hear, but to my ears it makes the label of Sith pretty meaningless. Preferring the Jedi path myself, it strikes me as analogous to my saying I am a bologna sandwich but I really am not made up of flour and pork parts, and do not fit in a lunch box; I just like to call myself that.

I've become too facetious and I apologize, but the metaphor still seems to fit as far as I can tell.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 8 months ago #340449 by
Most Jedi here would really fit the Gray Jedi mold probably better than anything. Some would be similar but different to other Jedi and there were other light side orders as well as gray jedi orders that I think modern Jedi or Jediists would fit well with.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 8 months ago #340451 by

Omhu Cuspor wrote: I've become too facetious and I apologize, but the metaphor still seems to fit as far as I can tell.

The flaw in your argument is that you evaluate the Jedi worldview in shades of grey but for the sith you make it a black and white comparison. As a Sith I take from the Darkness for power just as the Jedi take from the light for peace. To me peace is a lie, balance is a lie. There is only equilibrium with my Passion. In that I take from the mythology of the Sith as examples of that pursuit just as you do with the myth of the Jedi. However how that manifests in real life is different than the absolute myth of the black and white that Star Wars depicts.

More
4 years 8 months ago #340453 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic Sithism
Funny but I subscribe to what I call the “ All Myth” which says pretty much all myths for all people. ( Huge label taker off - er for me) Without titles ... would we just be humans making our paths as we go along and adjusting as we live? Would balance be balance if it were found regardless of “where “ or what label we add to it ? If things are a lie and we find them else where ... are they still lies or unattainable if we find them by other means?

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 8 months ago #340455 by
As I Sith I do not seek self improvement nor perfection. What I seek is wholeness,... completeness of who I already am. In this pursuit I take in both the lies and the truths and integrate them into one being.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 8 months ago #340456 by

VixensVengeance wrote: ... As a Sith I take from the Darkness for power just as the Jedi take from the light for peace. To me peace is a lie, balance is a lie. There is only equilibrium with my Passion. In that I take from the mythology of the Sith as examples of that pursuit just as you do with the myth of the Jedi. However how that manifests in real life is different than the absolute myth of the black and white that Star Wars depicts.

Thanks for that. While I am disinclined to follow your path, that does help me understand it better. I just wasn't getting it before.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi