Asking for advice

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 4 months ago #346154 by
Asking for advice was created by
Sitting cross legged on the floor has always been my preferred posture for meditation, but I'm finding as I re-introduce myself to meditation it causes a ton of back pain. It has been a number of years since taking the time to meditate and though I'm not very old I have a few old injuries and a lot of back pain from military service. If I lay down to meditate I fall asleep.

Any recommended alternate meditation positions with a little more back support that still doesn't feel lazy?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 4 months ago #346155 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Asking for advice
Any position is fine. Theres even ways of meditating while you walk, lol. For the kind of meditation i assume youre talking about, the main things are just to be physically comfortable and be able to breath as easily as possible.

People are complicated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Rex

More
4 years 4 months ago #346156 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic Asking for advice
I’m on the move a lot- every day. When I wake up if I’m not chasing babies and teaching some home school lesson I’m catching up on my hubby boyfriend duty’s kissing and stealing kisses- it’s even just a moment for me - is hard. Meditation, some days it’s not in the car ride home it ain’t gunna happen.
I find a “Za Zen” type of meditation which if I sit and no matter the position just get to that point where I don’t feel my legs - not like dead legs or asleep but just - no felling of - presence or even anything just sitting and getting to that point can be as relaxing as making it there as well. Not numb or asleep but just no feeling... might help might not - ya might always fall asleep - put yourself body and mind into a relaxed state - if ya need sleep your always gonna fall asleep.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 4 months ago #346161 by
Replied by on topic Asking for advice
I just find it helpful to sit still and center myself without any distractions. I've always done it in a sitting position, but I'll have to try walking.

I know that meditation can technically be performed in any position during any task, but I like to take at least 10 minutes to set aside for more traditional meditation a day and practice mini-meditations throughout the rest of my day. My day is basically constant motion so I find a certain peace in sitting still and not rushing.

More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #346181 by Rex
Replied by Rex on topic Asking for advice
Do you know what parts of your back specifically hurt, and whether it's dynamic movements that cause pain or just holding specific positions?

If you have a pool or hot tub you can use, the buoyancy generally helps quite a bit with back/knee pain. I get it's not exactly a quick 10 minute meditation, but it's very relaxing.

Honestly it's all about what best fits your lifestyle and mindset needs, so we can give you ideas, but only you know what works best for you.

Knights Secretary's Secretary
Apprentices: Vandrar
TM: Carlos Martinez
"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes" - Wittgenstein
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Rex.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3,

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 4 months ago #346187 by
The whole spine. Movement doesn't cause much pain, but sitting anywhere without some support kills it.

I think the water idea is awesome actually, and all I'm looking for is ideas. I appreciate any and all suggestions.

More
4 years 4 months ago #346318 by Skryym
Replied by Skryym on topic Asking for advice
Have you tried kneeling meditation (seiza)? I generally experience less back pain when I kneel, but slightly more knee pain. However, I'm only a beginner and there are lots of techniques to reducing back and knee pain. Personally, I think a great way to meditate is to engage an activity with your hands that doesn't require much thought. Juggling, archery, and slinging rocks works for me. He wouldn't call it meditation, but my brother has been reloading .556 cartridges for a while and I think it's helped him deal with stress since returning from overseas.

I just got the idea... what about a brace? It's just a shot in the dark, but maybe wearing a weight lifting brace or tying a pillow around your back might help. Otherwise, I'm with Shinobi: walking is probably the best form of meditation that causes the least stress.

There is no bad weather, only bad attitudes and bad attire. - Gandalf the Grey
TM: Loudzoo
Skryym's Novice Journal | Meditation Journal | Apprentice Journal | Skryym's 2022 IP Journal |
B.Div Journal
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 4 months ago #346319 by
Somehow, I never thought of a brace. I'm going to give kneeling meditation a shot today. I'm also looking for a good spot to meditate in water for the buoyancy. Thanks so much for the ideas everyone! It's been super helpful!

More
4 years 4 months ago #346322 by Eleven
Replied by Eleven on topic Asking for advice
Maybe a little yoga before you mediate? Help warm up and put yourself into alignment? Just a thought. Also, maybe a pillow or mediation mat? Just some food for thought.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Tl1zqH4lsSmKOyCLU9sdOSAUig7Q38QW4okOwSz2V4c/edit

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 4 months ago #346954 by
I prefer to lay on my back, as I am getting up in age.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi