Module 1: Doing the Right Thing

More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #322662 by Rosalyn J
Please do the following:

Listen to Lecture 1 It ends at 24:37

Read the first chapter of Justice: What's the Right Thing to Do

Discuss the question: Do you think there is correct response to the trolley situation?

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by Rosalyn J.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 10 months ago #323327 by MadHatter
I think that there is depending upon the phrasing.

In the first case you are a driver and in full knowledge of the vehicle, the tracks, any and all safety features and you can or cannot do with the aforementioned. So, in this case, you took responsibility for the safety of the passengers and those on the tracks upon taking the job. Further, you know what you can or cannot do to mitigate harm to people with the safety features of the trolly system and you have an inherent responsibility to mitigate the damage. Thus killing only one vs five is the best course of action you can take. Some people will die either way and attempting to minimize the harm is your duty.

Further when working on a track like the people in this case you take a certain amount of risk and responsibility that accidents are more likely to happen and this you must look after your safety to a degree. So, in my opinion, there is less moral grey area in attempting to willing make a choice that endangers the one worker vs the give. Not to mention that a turn will slow down the trolly and likely give the worker a greater chance a getting out of the way

However in the second case you are an onlooker. Your knowledge of the situation and equipment is minimal. You do not know with certainty that there are no safety features that will save the five workers. But you do know you are pushing a man to his death. The man on the bridge did not inherit the same risk as the men working on the track nor are you as responsible to involve yourself. So in that case due to lack of knowledge and other factors, I think that its best not to involve yourself.

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi