Voting to ban members

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 9 months ago #340443 by
Replied by on topic Voting to ban members
I haven't been around long enough to comment on this particular case, but in general, how does banning even work? Sure, an account can be disabled. But what's to stop someone from just creating another account? Doesn't the anonymity of an online community make banning someone rather pointless?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago #340454 by Carlos.Martinez3

lightscribe wrote: I haven't been around long enough to comment on this particular case, but in general, how does banning even work? Sure, an account can be disabled. But what's to stop someone from just creating another account? Doesn't the anonymity of an online community make banning someone rather pointless?

Sometimes ... but truly we are on the honor system of ya wanna get actual. Hope- if ya wanna call it that. We hope people act right but some times they don’t. Rules rules rules. I remember my dad telling me “a thief will do what’s needed to steal regardless of deterrents.” Some times we are at the mercy of one another. Some times that’s a hard truth some times it’s a great truth. Depends on the day - time- activity - and a lot of small things that CAN play a factor but for the most part yea - your right about some one just logging on as some one different- happened in the past and will prolly happen in the future.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
4 years 9 months ago #340461 by Rex
Replied by Rex on topic Voting to ban members
Lightscribe, people have been caught (and banned) using multiple accounts from the same IP address.
Sure there are ways around it, but ultimately the work required to get around security each account iteration is most likely not worth whatever rush someone gets from using this site's services.

Knights Secretary's Secretary
Apprentices: Vandrar
TM: Carlos Martinez
"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes" - Wittgenstein
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 9 months ago #340472 by
I didn't realize it was based on IP address. I'm used to the kind of banning that happens when you report harassment on social media, which is often insufficient and easy to get around. I've experienced severe harassment and threats of violence online that weren't met with adequate action, so I think I brought those emotions into this situation without knowing all the facts. I apologize. Thank you for clarifying.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 9 months ago #340477 by

lightscribe wrote: I didn't realize it was based on IP address. I'm used to the kind of banning that happens when you report harassment on social media, which is often insufficient and easy to get around. I've experienced severe harassment and threats of violence online that weren't met with adequate action, so I think I brought those emotions into this situation without knowing all the facts. I apologize. Thank you for clarifying.

Think on this...

If they are unable to locate you physically and if they do not possess enough of your personal data to harm you, whatever they say is just that. However, if they do have your data, who gave it to them?

More
4 years 9 months ago #340479 by ZealotX
Replied by ZealotX on topic Voting to ban members

lightscribe wrote: I haven't been around long enough to comment on this particular case, but in general, how does banning even work? Sure, an account can be disabled. But what's to stop someone from just creating another account? Doesn't the anonymity of an online community make banning someone rather pointless?

Seems like banning should be restricted to cases of extreme behavior: bullying, harassment, etc. Unfortunately, it seems to be handled differently depending on one's friends and connections. I'm still trying to understand the apparent inequity myself. I thought I would have been contacted by mods about the situation I was in and none of them did.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 9 months ago #340480 by
I am all for thoughtful discourse, especially on this site. But let me make one thing very clear: harassment and threats are never the victim's fault. What I do or do not share online does not give anyone the right to harass or threaten me. Period.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
4 years 9 months ago #340485 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Voting to ban members
It depends. If you 'share' things people don't like they can, and have on occasion every right to:

- Repeatedly ask you to stop (which can be perceived as harassment)
- Make numerous threats ranging from 'ignoring you' to 'taking you to court'.

Point is, what constitutes threats and harassment is a matter of opinion.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gisteron

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 9 months ago #340486 by
Ren, I'm happy to discuss this topic with anyone who wants to participate, but I think we should take that conversation to a separate thread.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
4 years 9 months ago #340487 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Voting to ban members
The result of a vote (to ban) literally is 'popular opinion'. Discussing opinion is on-topic.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.