LIVE SERVICE - Sunday 9th September at 2100 UTC

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
11 years 7 months ago #72570 by ren
I know I know... (though I must point out, with the radio thing, there would always be significant delay, and it's not interactive. Regular chat-based services ARE interactive. With skype voice or other audio-conference solution, interactivity means it could get pretty loud and chaotic :( )

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #72572 by
I believe there is a way to mute your individual voice in virtually every audio/video conference method. Including Skype.This way people can mute the line for the Sermon and simply un-mute afterwards if there is a post-sermon discussion.

While I do enjoy the idea of having an audio/video conference as opposed to simply reading it, I doubt skype would be the optimal solution as it can only support 25 people and people must be individually "friended".

There is a site called http://www.freeconferencecalling.com/ that supports up to 1000 callers and allows for call management (mute controls during the sermon). I personally believe this would be a better option as you can post a link to the website and a phone number to the call so that everyone could attend if they want. It even allows for conference recording so the sermon can be retained for future members to attend.
Last edit: 11 years 7 months ago by . Reason: Added a few things

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 7 months ago #72579 by
OK, sorry for not replying sooner but I've had major issues getting online. Considering I'm on fibre-optic to the cabinet and should be getting speeds of 35M, to be pulling only 0.2 was a bit ridiculous! However, now the nice engineer has replaced our antiquated (it's less than a year old!) modem with newer model, that should be sorted!

Anyway, to the topic.....

I'm more than happy for Akkarin to perform the service and would love it if there were more Clerics able to do this as it takes the pressure off me. In fact, if we could get a regular list of people, we could even start holding services more regularly. But we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

I share V's concerns about people in Chat feeling like they're missing out but if Akkarin is confident that he can conduct a service in each place without a loss of service, then I'm good with that. After all, experimentation is sometimes the only way to see if a concept is viable. Out of interest, would you be hosting the Skype and Chat services at the same time? Or one after the other?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #72602 by

Resticon wrote: There is a site called http://www.freeconferencecalling.com/ that supports up to 1000 callers and allows for call management (mute controls during the sermon). I personally believe this would be a better option as you can post a link to the website and a phone number to the call so that everyone could attend if they want. It even allows for conference recording so the sermon can be retained for future members to attend.

Mark wrote: After all, experimentation is sometimes the only way to see if a concept is viable.

One of the main reasons for trying this out is that with the radio idea, which will eventually find its way onto the main website, we need to start trying out these ideas to see what works, what doesn't etc

I just decided to take some initiative and give it a go since no one else has done so yet. It might go horribly wrong but oh well :P (to those who saw my comment on facebook and G+ lol)

Ideally I think it would be great if we had an archived list of sermons that could be played and listened to :) (as well as having them archived in text normally)

I envisage that whatever we decide upon in the future will be completely different. What software we use will almost certainly change and the interaction between the clergy and the audience will alter as well

But we have to begin somewhere and that started with these live sermons that Mark began and this seems like another logical step along the way :)

Mark wrote: Out of interest, would you be hosting the Skype and Chat services at the same time? Or one after the other?

Same time
Last edit: 11 years 7 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 7 months ago #72724 by
OK, then good luck! So will you be typing in Chat and speaking in Skype at the same time?! I will try my best to be there.

There may well be teething issues while we try out new ways of delivering services and connecting to our members. I'm quite happy for us to experiment with different formats and platforms as long as we continue the regular sermons and deliver something interactive at least once a month.

Thank you for taking the initiative, Brother! :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 7 months ago #72833 by
I marked it down on my to-do list, and I hope circumstances will turn out so that I can attend. It will be 11 am in Hawaii when the service starts for everyone.

More
11 years 7 months ago #72836 by Locksley
Derp. I'm working tomorrow, but I'll try to make some time. :)

We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile, and nothing can grow there. Too much, the best of us is washed away. -- J. Michael Straczynski, Babylon 5

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 7 months ago #72843 by
To address some concerns

I can agree with Alex, V and Mark on their concerns it isolates others, however it also spreads the world also, reaching a bigger target, at the end of the day if people want to listen to something they're going to get the tools for it, if they want to just read text, they can do so, I my self will prefer to be able to listen to the Skype call rather than read text as there are high chances I'll be doing something else at the time which means I can listen to the call.

Now I agree skype is quite difficult because you have to be someones friend and so forth, however it is just a Precursor of sorts, it's more of a beta than a permanent solution for it.

YES Skype can only host 25 people in a call but what I can do is link two (or more) skype groups (of 25 max) and have the audio from the sermon chat room, go into the other group call (Sort of like a middle man) via the wonders of making audio internal instead of external.

So the capacity doesn't have to have a limit, we could even have 100 members at the live sermon.

Also if we were going to use Skype regularly, I myself would volunteer to make a Video/Picture Guide on how to install Skype and how to use it effectively.

A live sermon would be more beneficial because it's easier for people to hear the tone of text.

Grazie tante per la lettura. :)
- M

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 7 months ago #72965 by
The sermon is now up

Here is the audio version of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Drgizb6P5Z0&feature=youtu.be