LIVE SERVICE - Sunday 9th September at 2100 UTC

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #72468 by
So I hope Mark doesn't mind me stepping on his toes and as such if what I say is wrong or other arrangements are already in place then this could become null and void at his wish so just a little disclaimer :)

I have messaged Mark but he hasn't replied but I wanted to put this out there just in case he doesn't have a chance to before Sunday and to make sure that if everything is ok that people know :)

With that out the way...

I put myself forward to leading the live service this Sunday the 9th September at 21:00 UTC (use clock at top of TOTJO)

I will also be [strike]failing at[/strike] leading the service via a live chat on the (unofficial) TOTJO Skype group (PM me if you wanted to get in and aren't in already)

FYI this announcement also forces me to get off my arse and sit down (:huh:) and type out my planned sermon :P

EDIT this will also be held on TOTJO chat as per normal
Last edit: 11 years 6 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 6 months ago #72470 by
To clarify, will the live service also be held in our regular TOTJO chat? Or just through skype?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 6 months ago #72472 by

SeanChing wrote: To clarify, will the live service also be held in our regular TOTJO chat? Or just through skype?

Good question, yes this will be in skype as well as on TOTJO chat as normal :)

Forgot to add that :)

More
11 years 6 months ago #72476 by Alexandre Orion
Akkarin,

Is that really in good ethics ? I admit that physical churches can choose to go outside, or have service in a park or by a river ... somewhere everyone can get to. But here, we have a Temple. Everyone can come to chat without a "special invitation" ... The Skype is practical, and it is convienient and even fun, but doesn't it start to resemble an exclusive group (even if it is easy to get accepted into it, one still has to 'ask').

Sure, let's keep the Skype and accept anyone into it who wants to come, but for sermons, personally I feel that should be here -- in our Temple.

This is just how I feel, but I doubt I am the only one.

Respectfully,
A/O

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 6 months ago #72479 by
I understand your position, but currently TOTJO is not in a position to provide such a service but we are able to do this by another means

And it is not so much 'inviting' people in as it is letting people in. They just have to contact someone first to be able to (as there is literally no other way, I know of, that it can be done on skype)

We currently have to make do with the tools we have (my voice doesn't go as far as would be needed lol)

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
11 years 6 months ago #72487 by Jestor
I have posted announcements on TOTJO facebook, and Google+...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

More
11 years 6 months ago #72491 by Alexandre Orion
OKAY -- Big blunder on my part there ! Sorry ! :blush:

But it is true that Akkarin has a lovely voice and it is as pleasant to listen to him speak as to the London Symphony.

:cheer:

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img

More
11 years 6 months ago #72492 by MCSH
too late for me, it would be 1:30 AM!

Master: Wescli Wardest
Clerical Mentor : Master Jestor

Clerical Rank: Licensed Minister

More
11 years 6 months ago #72500 by Ben
Hmmm. I will be attending.

I do have two personal opinions to air though, feel free to take no notice of them if they seem like an overreaction.

Firstly, it seems inappropriate to me to arrange this without confirmation from GM Mark. I'm sure he'll be perfectly happy with it...but you never know whether some alternative arrangements have been made. I know there is a disclaimer...but in the event that something else had been arranged, it might put Mark in an awkward position.

Secondly, although Alexandre seems to have kind of retracted his original statement, I agreed with it. At this point in time we do not do live video/audio services, and again it seems like something that should be discussed with GM Mark, and probably the Council. Of course, I do realise that the service will also be held in chat, but I think that it should not feel to those in the chatroom as though the real party is being held elsewhere and they are excluded through not having skype or not wanting to join the group for any reason. I think part of what is so great about services is that we all gather together for them, whereas doing it in several different places will result in smaller groupings split across different places and less of a sense of togetherness and unity. I think that services should be held in one place, whether that be in the chatroom, skype or elsewhere, but I don't like this idea that some people will get a fuller experience of the service than others - and before you say that skype is free, people should not be expected to get it for a one-off service.

I hope that I don't sound too stroppy...that is not my intention. I am just explaining my personal standpoint. I am sure that many people think differently, and I respect that.

B.Div | OCP
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Lykeios Little Raven

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 6 months ago #72504 by
Well I just spoke to Mark via text (which in hindsight I really should have thought about the whole phone thing beforehand but oh well lol) and he's fine with it

He's currently having some minor internet issues which should resolve soon :)

Just an FYI, there is a minor issue regarding skype talking capacity. The maximum is 25 and while we probably won't have that many people there (I'm not that good at speaking Alex lol) it's just something to be aware of

Metsu is thinking up some kind of computer sorcery that might get around this but just keep it in mind :)

Also everyone will have to be muted or chaos will ensue lol Worth trying at the very least I think

Also a good precursor to other more feasible options, got to start somewhere *looks at ren*... :P :)

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi