Audio/video Sermons

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #37840 by Damion_Storm
Not exactly sure where to pose this question but as it is related to sermons figured this would be a good place to start. Several months ago it was mentioned the idea about using Audio or Video versions of sermons. I do not recall any resolution and had difficulty relocating the thread. So I decided to start a new thread for discussion with an included example. Could we add audio and/or video versions to the sermons and should it be required to have at least audio recording of it.

A ) Does everyone feel comfortable enough to be recorded with Audio or Video.
For me I have no issues with it and in fact have videoed my sermon for this week. HERE

B ) What if someone does not have the ability to record due to lack of hardware/software?
This is one of the only issues that I can see to not record.

C ) As I was talking about this with some others I also had the fear that if posted would other groups be able to access them and use them as their own? One member also suggested in chat setting up a TOTJO YouTube account.
Again pirated Sermons is the biggest concern I have with this.

So again I think this would add a new dimension to the Temple and augment the written sermons. If it works the possibility of adding other videos or audio recordings might also be something to look at. Like a reciting of the creed or some Video based training. But, that is putting the wagon before the horse and the topic of this discussion is primarily for sermons. Any feedback is welcome and I guess the 3 questions are.

1. Should Audio or video Versions be permitted and included in the weekly Sermons?
I would vote YES to this
2. Should it be \"Mandatory\" for Audio or Video to be included.
I would vote NO to this
3. Should we set up a TOTJO YouTube Account for such items?
I would vote YES to this

Rev. Robert Cannon OCP
Bishop of TotJO
Master Knight of Jediism
B.Div

Active Apprentices: None
Former Apprentices: Cynthia, Alexandre Orion, Reliah, Archon

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #37841 by Br. John
Replied by Br. John on topic Re:Audio/video Sermons
I agree with you and echo your votes. It's high time we did this and it's way past due. If another group tried steal these they'd look like idiots since there's the video and voice of the person who could refute then and if anyone copied the words of the sermon there's the upload date at YouTube to confirm the original date of publication.

It would be nice to also have a printed version of the sermon but this should not be mandatory.

Excellent!

Founder of The Order

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 2 weeks ago #37845 by
Replied by on topic Re:Audio/video Sermons
Even mobile phones have the ability to record video these days - so lack of hardware doesnt wash as an excuse - however personal choice is still valid - I hate cameras, alwayts have always will, they steal your soul and midichlorians (WHICH IS WHY DANIEL JONES HAS SO FEW OF THEM AS HE IS NEVER off a camera :D )

Joking aside - I hate cameras but then again I dont do sermons very often now anyway so here is an option, if others are happy to film, they can do the sermon on camera on behalf of xyz and give the credit where its due etc.

We should always have a text version of material anyway, it covers disability access laws to material (ie the hard of hearing) and the audio covers the blind etc.

We did discuss this idea some time back so for those who havent read the posts i'll repeat one caution, when you write a sermon (type it) a seemingly long one becomes very short when dictated as in this idea - but filling it up with padded fluff makes it come across as amateur - if its short - then fine - sometimes the best messages are short n sweet ;~)

MTFBWY - A

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #37850 by Damion_Storm
Replied by Damion_Storm on topic Re:Audio/video Sermons
Aside from the Video option there is still the option of Audio.

Rev. Robert Cannon OCP
Bishop of TotJO
Master Knight of Jediism
B.Div

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
13 years 2 weeks ago #37858 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Re:Audio/video Sermons
I think a link could be provided in the written text...

Should not be mandatory, however, this will lead to missing sermons once it starts...

So maybe those that want to can do the audio recording, those tha tdo not may want a rreader...

TOTJO YouTube account, YEs...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 2 weeks ago #37859 by
Replied by on topic Re:Audio/video Sermons
I think this is a good natural progression in many ways, though I agree that the video/audio should be voluntary, not mandatory. Personally I do not own a device that would work well for video without a bunch of mirrors and paperclips :-) though I've tested doing audio versions of my own sermons, and find it satisfactory. And the idea of others reading sermons if one is too shy seems like a fair option as well.

My votes are a mirror of Damion's, with the addition of allowing others to read for those too shy, or who do not wish to read their own if the option is possible

More
13 years 1 week ago - 13 years 1 week ago #37936 by Damion_Storm
So I guess the next question is do we have one person in charge of the YouTube account and everything is posted through them or set and account and all council/clergy members have the password to post

Rev. Robert Cannon OCP
Bishop of TotJO
Master Knight of Jediism
B.Div

Last edit: 13 years 1 week ago by Damion_Storm.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
13 years 1 week ago #37941 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Re:Audio/video Sermons
Anyone who does a sermon would need access... Or so I think... At a minimum, council or admin in case the one person was unavailable for some reason...

Today is my sermon, I have a new phone, I am not sure how to use the features, but, I will attempt a video....

Wish me luck!

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
13 years 1 week ago - 13 years 1 week ago #37957 by Jon
Replied by Jon on topic Re:Audio/video Sermons
I have been thinking about this for some time now before I decided to reply to this. But before I answer I do want to say that the idea of videoing etc a sermon is a good one. I cannot believe however that we even consider or suggest making this mandatory. That is just rediculous. And if this were so you could definitely count me out of writing sermons. There are many reasons for not wanting to do this, appart from not having the software: privacy of person, other persons or family; inhibitions; matters of principle etc. If someone wants to make an account then just do it. If someone feels like videoing themselves then just do it. But let the others be as they want to. There really is no vote needed.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.
Last edit: 13 years 1 week ago by Jon.

More
13 years 1 week ago - 13 years 1 week ago #37958 by Damion_Storm
I truly understand all the concerns there and the only reason I even mentioned it and said No in the first place was to get the natural concerns out of the way from the go. I just made the assumption that someone would ask eventually so I just wanted to get it out of the way.

Rev. Robert Cannon OCP
Bishop of TotJO
Master Knight of Jediism
B.Div

Last edit: 13 years 1 week ago by Damion_Storm.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi