Raising funds for TotJO

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 day ago #142727 by
Replied by on topic Raising funds for TotJO

Darren wrote:

Akkarin wrote: We have the cafepress one linked at the bottom and also a Zazzle one here: http://www.zazzle.com/totjostore

I'll ask Proteus to put them both down there for the time being.

I don't intend to derail the conversation, but [strike]this store is so much cooler than[/strike] I had no idea we had the Zazzle store. Thanks for bringing that up, Akkarin.

I've just made a new merchandise article to explain some of the merchandise stuff: http://www.templeofthejediorder.org/component/content/article/40-information/2092-temple-of-the-jedi-order-merchandise

steamboat28 wrote: As a call-back to things I said in another thread whose url escapes me at the moment, there's also a very limited pool of people who would buy TOTJO merchandise--it's almost certainly limited to TOTJO members. Which is fine at first, because goods will get people to part with money quicker than a donate button, but at the same time, eventually you'll mine that out. And then what do we do?

TotJO is very passive, we always have been. We don't go on recruitment drives, we don't send PMs to people asking for donations, we don't try and sell people merchandise.

We let ourselves be open to the public and people join us.
We have a donate button and people give us money.
We have a merchandise store and people buy things.

We don't 'push', we just sit here and things take care of themselves.

If the store never sells anything then that doesn't matter, it isn't there to make money, it is there to provide TotJO branded merchandise to people that want it. Having the store costs us nothing, if it did we probably wouldn't have it, it just sits there and people buy now and then. It is not a question of 'mining out' because we aren't mining...

Kamizu wrote: Patches seem to be something a lot of people like. Plaques would be nice if people want a display for making rank or whatever. But a lot of this will be made to order so not much in the way of overhead I don't think

We had certificates, but Mark was in charge of them and he's gone, someone else did one the other week, I forget who :/ but that was good. The certificates were pretty much free except for postage.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
10 years 1 day ago #142749 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic Raising funds for TotJO

Jestor wrote: Thats why I am waiting for a 'fundraising team', that can handle this, :lol:...[/color]

:whistle:

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
10 years 1 day ago #142752 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Raising funds for TotJO

Brenna wrote:

Jestor wrote: Thats why I am waiting for a 'fundraising team', that can handle this, :lol:...[/color]

Life being what it is, I wouldnt even ask...

If you have the time, and if you want to, your help would be appreciated...

But, it will happen one day, so, dont worry...;)

Me, trying to run such an ordeal, would be like you teaching martial arts...

You have a understanding of it in that you know what the words mean, but, you wouldnt try breaking boards on your first day...;)

I would have a lot of research to do, and I dont have the time... Or need..... Quite yet...;)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

More
10 years 1 day ago #142754 by Kit
Replied by Kit on topic Raising funds for TotJO

Akkarin wrote:

Kamizu wrote: Patches seem to be something a lot of people like. Plaques would be nice if people want a display for making rank or whatever. But a lot of this will be made to order so not much in the way of overhead I don't think

We had certificates, but Mark was in charge of them and he's gone, someone else did one the other week, I forget who :/ but that was good. The certificates were pretty much free except for postage.

Yeah but plaques are COOLER than certs :P but they do cost a bit. This is an example of what I mean. I made this for a member who was leaving the Air Force but replace the squadron emblem with TotJO's, replace the name and rank and ta-da! Fancy hand-made plaque! And they come in all sorts of shapes and sizes too if you're not into the rustic look. I've got small (like six inch) round-shaped ones I want to burn and stain the TotJO star into just because I think it'd look pretty awesome. But it's just some ideas! Sorry I've been sick the last two days and a little giddy/silly right now due to lack of being able to eat much and a 10 week old 'parasite' I'm working on LOL.

But here's the plaque I made:

I love making things for people and I'd love to help out TotJO however I can. If it would be acceptable and wanted, I could put together a thread for hand-made items from where people could see things and contact me for information. I could charge for material and time (which would be almost half of what I would charge for similar items on Etsy), then add a little more for the Temple. I by no means want to try and make money off of the Temple and I hope I don't come across as such. I want to serve and this is one capacity that I feel I can contribute too. I just have these really cool ideas for some items I'd love to make but have no where to put them all if I did! HAhahaha And I love making things for people :D
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Jestor

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
10 years 1 day ago #142758 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic Raising funds for TotJO

Jestor wrote:

Brenna wrote:

You have a understanding of it in that you know what the words mean, but, you wouldnt try breaking boards on your first day...;)

I would have a lot of research to do, and I dont have the time... Or need..... Quite yet...;)

:) Im pretty sure Ive stuck my hand up a couple of times to volunteer ;)
Let me know if and how I can help.

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
10 years 1 day ago #142759 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Raising funds for TotJO

Brenna wrote:

Jestor wrote:

Brenna wrote:

:) Im pretty sure Ive stuck my hand up a couple of times to volunteer ;)
Let me know if and how I can help.

PM coming later....:)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brenna

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 day ago #142764 by

Kamizu wrote: I love making things for people and I'd love to help out TotJO however I can. If it would be acceptable and wanted, I could put together a thread for hand-made items from where people could see things and contact me for information. I could charge for material and time (which would be almost half of what I would charge for similar items on Etsy), then add a little more for the Temple. I by no means want to try and make money off of the Temple and I hope I don't come across as such. I want to serve and this is one capacity that I feel I can contribute too. I just have these really cool ideas for some items I'd love to make but have no where to put them all if I did! HAhahaha And I love making things for people :D

Go for it and see how it works.

More
10 years 1 day ago #142796 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Raising funds for TotJO

Brenna wrote: :) Im pretty sure Ive stuck my hand up a couple of times to volunteer ;)

You gotta be careful doing that. One day they might call on you in class, and then you're in trouble. :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Brenna

More
10 years 1 day ago #142797 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Raising funds for TotJO

Akkarin wrote: TotJO is very passive, we always have been. We don't go on recruitment drives, we don't send PMs to people asking for donations, we don't try and sell people merchandise.

We let ourselves be open to the public and people join us.
We have a donate button and people give us money.
We have a merchandise store and people buy things.

We don't 'push', we just sit here and things take care of themselves.

On this note, all I'm going to say is that, from what I've seen, Dudeism is more active than TOTJO.

Dudeism.

Let that sink in for a minute. A religion, based on a single cult film about a white-russian-drinking bathrobe-wearing nobody, whose sole tenet is "take it easy, man", is more active than a religion based on arguably the most successful sci-fi franchise of all recorded history, wherein the greatest sage seen in the films is quoted as saying "do or do not. there is no try."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brenna,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 day ago #142802 by

steamboat28 wrote: On this note, all I'm going to say is that, from what I've seen, Dudeism is more active than TOTJO.

Dudeism.

Let that sink in for a minute. A religion, based on a single cult film about a white-russian-drinking bathrobe-wearing nobody, whose sole tenet is "take it easy, man", is more active than a religion based on arguably the most successful sci-fi franchise of all recorded history, wherein the greatest sage seen in the films is quoted as saying "do or do not. there is no try."

I don't understand the significance of this point. The only thing I can think of is... so what? :huh:

I'm happy being me, I'm not in competition with anyone and neither is TotJO.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi