Jedi Academy Online Bookstore - Opie Macleod

More
11 years 1 week ago #102109 by Adder

Alethea Thompson wrote: Of note: there is no disconnect between Force Realist and Jediism because Kediism is a Force Realist Movement. The disconnect is between, specifically here, Jedi Pragmaticism and Jediism.

I'm helping derail a lot of threads lately :S

Could it be more correct to say "The disconnect is between, specifically here, Jedi Pragmaticism from Jediism.". I always get confused there because my Jediism is very much based around pragmatism, at least in my own way. It's because Jedi Pragmaticism excludes what it calls religious elements isnt it? I'm not saying pragmaticism didnt originate on its own seperate from Jediism or anything, just that the only distinction is made by exclusion by the Jedi Pragmatic as opposed to inclusion by Jediism. Each to there own, stop thinking out loud Adder....

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 week ago #102110 by
The term was specifically designed to put Opie Macleod in a corner where we could box it up and throw it in the back...

hahahah.

But, seriously, the term was specifically designed by the Community to distinguish Opie's radical ideologies about being a Jedi. In his eyes, the only "Jedi" are those that adhere to the ideals he sets forth. So, he doesn't recognize Jedi Pragmatism. You can see how it would be confusing if we said "Jedi" and it means different things to different people. It's easier for us to create large categories to at LEAST help us understand the vast disparities within the community.

Pragmatism was assigned because it puts little emphasis on internal contemplation (inaction as action, defined by Buddhism), and much more on Boy Scout level action.

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
11 years 1 week ago #102111 by Brenna

Adder wrote: Could it be more correct to say "The disconnect is between, specifically here, Jedi Pragmaticism from Jediism.". I always get confused there because my Jediism is very much based around pragmatism, at least in my own way. It's because Jedi Pragmaticism excludes what it calls religious elements isnt it? I'm not saying pragmaticism didnt originate on its own seperate from Jediism or anything, just that the only distinction is made by exclusion by the Jedi Pragmatic as opposed to inclusion by Jediism. Each to there own, stop thinking out loud Adder....

LOl, you and I seem to share a talent for derailing.

I am curious though, if Pragmaticism removes the religious or spiritual elements then how does it relate back to the Jedi? Surely thats just "being a good and helpful person"? I was under the impression that the Jedi movement became more than simply a joke on the census because of a desire to find an intersecting point between faiths that mimiced the beliefs and actions of fictional Jedi. A modern spiritual warrior for lack of a better term.

Or have I totally missed something o.O

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 week ago #102112 by
hee hee. Brenna... I have a surprise for you in your inbox. :P

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
11 years 1 week ago - 11 years 1 week ago #102113 by ren
it's not a council decision. It's the executive enforcement of policy, which can be carried out by non-council members. How you fail to see how linking to commercial websites that sell goods such as books and t-shirts is advertisement, I do not know.

Kediism is a Force Realist Movement

Jediism isn't a force realist movement. It never was. Jediism shot first. realism is for robe-wearing lightsaber-wielding hoping-to-be-psychic people who couldn't detach from their religion (usually, christanity) and couldn't make a real commitment to the jedi way. I can point to your recent personal attacks. To Opie's lack of selflessness, to all the random nonsense I see at FA. Or, based on what i see of the realist community, forum addicts who see a welcome thread as a good opportunity to start a flamewar? Why not talk about that US gathering? All those realist friends of yours had soo many great things to say about us didn't they? Their behaviour was pretty much contrary to what we teach in Jediism. You can write as many great common/unifying texts as you want Alethea, the fact remains, we live jediism in a way that is opposite to realism. (which btw is a rubbish name that has nothing to do with the school of philosophy "realism")

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
Last edit: 11 years 1 week ago by ren.

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
11 years 1 week ago #102114 by Brenna

Connor Lidell wrote: hee hee. Brenna... I have a surprise for you in your inbox. :P

*carefully checks for Zombies or spiders*

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 week ago #102115 by
Because the intention of advertising is to push somebody to buy something. I wasn't doing that.

Also, it's a strange thing... but you don't get to define what Jedi Realism is. That's Ally's invention that some people have adopted as a system to put differing philosophies into boxes so they can be more easily understood. You can decry it all you want, but just as Opie HATES the term Pragmatism, you can't tell Ally to change her terminology. Come up with your own if you'd like to.

I only use it because it works for us who participate actively across the community to understand how to communicate differently to different groups. To "me", personally, I don't care what the labels are. I could say: "TOTJO is jam. IJRS is jelly. FA is jelly with a little jam thrown in..." That's what they are to me. But, I use them with Ally's terms because other people understand them just as I do.

• ren
    Registered
More
11 years 1 week ago #102117 by ren
jedi realism and force realism are not ally's terms. force realism is mine, an insult I created 7 or 8 years ago that would cover those who didn't want to be "jedi" anymore... She picked up on it, created a blog or something then claimed it as her trademark lol. I don't know who coined jedi realism, though I'm pretty sure moonshadow @ JRC would know.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 week ago #102120 by
hahahah Well, then it's Ally's term after she stole it from you. :P

• ren
    Registered
More
11 years 1 week ago #102124 by ren
she didn't actually register it. I had to bloody check when she made that claim :D

That's besides the point. Jediism was there first. It emanated from the existing communities of mostly RP with people who wanted to live it. they called it all sorts of things like jedi knightism and whatnot. then census came and a definition other than plain old "jedi" was needed to differentiate form joke jedi. Jediism was born. Some people didnt like jediism and decided to do their own thing but still call themselves jedi. jedi realism was born. And ally had nothing to do with this. She can call opie pragmatist or anything really, opie feels his way is the one and only true jedi way, which he therefore plain calls "jedi". that's humility for you right there. Personally I think plain "opie" is fine, it's not as if he has much relevance.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi