When i'm making my lightsaber...

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #313329 by
I don't really want to make just a flashlight with a polycarbonate tube, i was actually kind of hoping i could forge a steel blade with an amethyst hand-guard/hilt "emitter" (because lightsaber crystals are STILL analogous to quartz disney and no amount of retconning can change that) but at the same time I just don't know. I mean lightsabers aren't necessary for being a Jedi on this forum or IRL for that matter, but just for my own weird purposes, self defense maybe? I *do* know Kendo after all...
What thoughts do you guys have? Just stick with the old design, or go with something that has some practical use?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #313331 by
Replied by on topic When i'm making my lightsaber...
Well, if its for self defence, a polycarb tube itself could pretty much do the trick. ;)

Or, if you really dont want a polycarb tube flashlight (or as I lovingly call them "glorified glowsticks"), perhaps a bokken?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #313336 by
Eh, maybe on the bokken. I just kinda like making things, plus I have some new forging techniques I wanted to try :P
It would be MUCH quicker to make a glowstick, but it would be hard to be taken seriously against someone with a knife or such, not to mention it would be kinda awkward to carry that in public...
Regarding the sword, I was considering electrifying the blade with 9volts or plating it with depleted uranium to combat those with armor, but my friend keeps reminding me that I'm not off to save imperial china or whatever.
It's still up in the air, I won't be making anything for a year or two.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #313340 by

BlazeFrag wrote: I don't really want to make just a flashlight with a polycarbonate tube, i was actually kind of hoping i could forge a steel blade with an amethyst hand-guard/hilt "emitter" (because lightsaber crystals are STILL analogous to quartz disney and no amount of retconning can change that) but at the same time I just don't know. I mean lightsabers aren't necessary for being a Jedi on this forum or IRL for that matter, but just for my own weird purposes, self defense maybe? I *do* know Kendo after all...
What thoughts do you guys have? Just stick with the old design, or go with something that has some practical use?

The practice of a Jedi initiate or Padawan building a lightsaber is in the craftsmanship of the hilt. Since you would be thinking of crafting a sword here, I'd suggest it's about your total craftsmanship of the weapon.

If you want to carry on the conceptual ideas and designs of a lightsaber, why not make a fully functional sword, with a blade that is colored in the idea of a crystal generated color, illuminated on both sides of the blade with a colored bulb to accentuate the coloring further. Additionally the hilt can be designed in a classic lightsaber concept and might even include sounds to go with it. Initially someone might get a chuckle from you wilding something like this but once they see you actually do know how to operate a sword, and this is not just a flashlight beating stick, it could cause an overall approval.

Just some thoughts.

More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #313341 by Zero
I agree....I love the idea of a highly polished blade reflecting light coming from the hilt...would look even better at night!

Master Zero
House of Orion
TOTJO Council Member
Head Moderator and Education Administration Member
Journals- IP / Apprentice / Knight / BDiv / MDiv / Personal
My Apprentice: Morkano
Knighted Apprentices: Diana W, Atania, Ashria, Tannis Yarl, Tavi, Rini, Khwang

”Everything that exists in this world has a hidden meaning within. When you look deeper at things, beyond initial appearance, you discover their true reality.”

Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Zero.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #313499 by
yeah that does sound neat, my hilt is already designed though...once i get a camera of some quality, the forging and casting process can begin! The coloring of the steel isn't something i know how to do yet, but it shouldn't be too hard. the lights sound genius, and can be wired from the 9v used to electrify the blade..my only concern is how do i shield the amethyst handguard from use? Coat it in resin or superglue cast perhaps?

More
6 years 2 months ago #313503 by Zero
The entire hand guard is 1 crystal?

Master Zero
House of Orion
TOTJO Council Member

”Everything that exists in this world has a hidden meaning within. When you look deeper at things, beyond initial appearance, you discover their true reality.”

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #313505 by
alright so if you look at a katana, the thing above the grip, i just call it the hand guard. And no, its going to be several crystals held together by jewelers glue, but like carved into something that looks nice
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by . Reason: clarification

More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #313506 by Zero
In my very limited experience with amythist is it can be very brittle. I don't know that it would stand up to the kind of impact a functional weapon would most likely have to endure. I could be wrong though...defenatly a weapon I wanna see though

Master Zero
House of Orion
TOTJO Council Member

Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Zero.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #313529 by
Amethyst just wouldn't hold up well. It can't handle being compression well and hitting something would shatter or crack it. If it didn't give out right away, the reverberations through the metal would wear it down over time. I would recommend crushing the amethyst, sealing it (resin would be good) and polishing it as an outer layer. The end appearance will depend on how fine you crush it, but should resemble a marbled or pebbled. I've included a stock photo to give an idea.

Attachment il_fullxfull.991607185_oxjj.jpg not found

Attachments:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi