Jedi VS. Sith "article"

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago #236579 by
Jedi VS. Sith "article" was created by
I find that this article sounds a bit like it was written by someone who doesn't understand Jediism or is out to at least really try to tear it down, but they make some good arguments...try to separate out the fiction that is the Star Wars movies, but it is an interesting read...I hope they find whatever answers they are searching for...in the mean time this could make for interesting discussion here...also makes me think back to Cabur's discussion on connections and Grey Jedi...

http://geekxgirls.com/article.php?ID=6140

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago #236581 by
Replied by on topic Jedi VS. Sith "article"
I really never heard anyone say the Stih were evil , they are Jedi with another agenda , or are we Sith with another agenda ?hmmm *frowns *

:laugh:

More
7 years 11 months ago #236585 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Jedi VS. Sith "article"

Freja Saol-Wasser wrote: I find that this article sounds a bit like it was written by someone who doesn't understand Jediism or is out to at least really try to tear it down, but they make some good arguments...try to separate out the fiction that is the Star Wars movies, but it is an interesting read...I hope they find whatever answers they are searching for...in the mean time this could make for interesting discussion here...also makes me think back to Cabur's discussion on connections and Grey Jedi...

http://geekxgirls.com/article.php?ID=6140

From what I can tell that article was just about the fiction.. As for the Sith being evil...

ANAKIN: The Jedi use their power for good.

PALPATINE: Good is a point of view, Anakin. And the Jedi point of view is not the only valid one. The Dark Lords of the Sith believe in security and justice also, yet they are considered by the Jedi to be—

ANAKIN: Evil.

From Revenge of the Sith

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Yugen,

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
7 years 11 months ago #236593 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Jedi VS. Sith "article"
Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints...

;)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, J_Roz, Yugen, ,

More
7 years 11 months ago #236601 by J_Roz
Replied by J_Roz on topic Re:Jedi VS. Sith "article"

Jestor wrote: Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints...

;)

This is one of my all time favorite quotes. :-)

May the Force be with you, Always. Walk in Beauty.

"O Great Spirit, Help me always to speak the truth quietly, to listen with an open mind when others speak, and to remember the peace that may be found in silence"

Kaylee: How come you don't care where you're going?
Book: 'Cause how you get there is the worthier part.
Firefly Series

Apprenticed to: Phortis Nespin
Apprentices: None Currently
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
7 years 11 months ago #236650 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Jedi VS. Sith "article"
I'm an original trilogy stalwart and Obi-Wan was quick to tell Luke specifically that Vader was seduced by the dark side and turned to 'evil'. To me that doesn't have to mean the dark side is evil (but I infer it) and that it must at least its a risk of going to the dark side.... which in relation to the other movies (by observing the actions of the 'Sith') it would seem they all act evil. So it is at least valid to that path, if not central, but they don't go into the Sith enough to clarify.

Since for me evil is not subjective, and so if the light side is not evil, and if the Jedi strive for the light - it could be said from the fiction that the light is compassion and the dark is evil! This could be seen to be reinforced by the outlined nature of the Force as an energy field created by living things - and the way I interpret that is the only way to increase the Force is to keep something alive and exercise its growth and behaviour in that regard. I don't buy into the consumption argument that the Force can be taken by say eating something (even if you ate it alive, but it would explain the burial by fire and since its only fiction all opinions are valid anyway), but I'd agree one can gain power by causing someone to lose it... its just that I'd say it was sourced from within themselves to begin with. It's all just fiction anyway though.

I think I've gone offtopic enough now that I'd better stop!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not a fan of the article in the original article as I think it misses the point of Jediism and tries to reach for some objective truth... which is pretty much what I've done here anyway outlining my particular view of the fiction
:silly:

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: ,

More
7 years 11 months ago #236676 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Jedi VS. Sith "article"

Adder wrote: I'm not a fan of the article in the original article as I think it misses the point of Jediism and tries to reach for some objective truth... which is pretty much what I've done here anyway outlining my particular view of the fiction
:silly:

What I think should be noted is that the Jedi in the films aren't following 'Jediism'... 'we've' created that.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Avalon, Loudzoo, Brick

More
7 years 11 months ago #236711 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic Jedi VS. Sith "article"
Despite the fact that I loved the whole new trilogy (episodes I, II and III), I was saddened by the fact that they didn't really flesh out the whole "point of view" thing that Palpatine was talking about with Anakin. THAT should have been the whole theme of Episode III, if not of the entire new trilogy, but it was either dismissed in favor of the more obvious caricature good vs. evil, or just poorly executed.

The Jedi Order had become stagnant. That much is for sure. They were keepers of the status quo, another cog in the wheel, proceeding with caution because they would rather allow bad things to happen than undermine democracy... which is understandable from a Jedi point of view. But then why did Mace Windu move against Palpatine in Episode 3? Wasn't that the single most unwise decision for a Jedi (supposed enlightened superbeing) to take?

Anakin picked up on the hypocracy, that is why he was bound to betray the Jedi Order in favor of saving Padme. That is why he cuts off Mace Windu's hand when he illegally attacks the democratically chosen Chancellor. However, after that the movie gets cartoony, there is no true consistency for Anakin going from cutting off Windu's hand to storming the Jedi Temple and killing the younglings. But I guess that's a different topic. :P

Luke Skywalker is the one who finally "humanizes" the Jedi by refusing to "let go" of his father and fulfill his mission of killing Vader and the Emperor. Had the Jedi been more open to it, Anakin could have easily talked things out with the Council in regards to his concerns for his mother or for Padme.

In the Old trilogy, Palpatine is evil. He wants to turn Luke into his slave, like his father is, and he openly enjoys the suffering of others and destroying the rebellion. His character was written this way so we see him as evil, since otherwise we could have fallen into that whole "point of view" thing again.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #236732 by
Replied by on topic Jedi VS. Sith "article"
Generally, the idea of "what Jediism is" is completely wrong almost everywhere you look. I've found two places that portray it the way I see it: TotJO's doctrine and half of a video my training Master was in. Even the about.com article which bases a lot of it's info on what TotJO's doctrine used to say before it was revised almost entirely misses the point. Don't even get me started on some of the weirder sites that require you to wear robes and things.

You can't understand a language unless you're immersed in it for a long time. This is the same. You can't really say what Jediism is unless you've really put some effort into it. Book reports and overviews will never do any real belief system justice.

edit: And it does end up being unique for everyone, too. That doesn't help xD
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by .

More
7 years 11 months ago #236746 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic Jedi VS. Sith "article"

Freja Saol-Wasser wrote: I find that this article sounds a bit like it was written by someone who doesn't understand Jediism or is out to at least really try to tear it down.

Forgive me, but I completely missed the part of the article where they state it has anything to do with Jediism. :unsure:

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi