• Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago #287223 by

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago #287225 by
Replied by on topic Are lightsabers possible?
With an imagination and knowledge of engineering, science and such, I think it is possible.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago #287226 by
Replied by on topic Are lightsabers possible?
i believe someone sent Zenchi the blueprints , but i never heard from it again :laugh: if so , we will find out soon enough i guess

More
6 years 10 months ago #287227 by Zenchi
Replied by Zenchi on topic Are lightsabers possible?
There are no blueprints, now look into the flashy thing and say cheese...

https://youtu.be/fUvEyclQjdI

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
6 years 10 months ago #287229 by TheDude
Replied by TheDude on topic Are lightsabers possible?
https://youtu.be/NtjcJUO-9IY

So, the vibroblade already exists. I assume that the Star Wars legends canon is right, that the first lightsabers to come around will probably have bulky battery packs worn on the back or hip. Even that would probably cost ~>= $500,000...

More
6 years 10 months ago #287235 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic Are lightsabers possible?
There is no such thing as magnetic charge or a magnetically charged gas. Also, I'm not positive that the person in charge of the animations understands how redirection of electric charges with a magnetic field works. Rather than loop the plasma back towards the hilt, this looks more like something that would spread it out in all directions at the tip. Most dangerous indeed...

As for the PEAK PlasmaBlade, I'm no surgeon, but from the description it sounds like a regular electro scalpel. Now maybe that's what vibroblades are, too, I wouldn't know, I'm not a science fiction weapons engineer either...

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned

More
6 years 10 months ago #287236 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic Are lightsabers possible?

TheDude wrote:

graphic

So, the vibroblade already exists. I assume that the Star Wars legends canon is right, that the first lightsabers to come around will probably have bulky battery packs worn on the back or hip. Even that would probably cost ~>= $500,000...

Woah, that was one graphic video. Well, not really that bad, but I'm pretty certain I could not have gone into Medical School. :laugh:

Personally, I'm more interested in the possibility of Force lightning than a lightsaber :evil:

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward

More
6 years 10 months ago #287244 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Are lightsabers possible?

Personally, I'm more interested in the possibility of Force lightning than a lightsaber

Taser not close enough?

I've never really looked into whether or not Lightsabres are possible (or even desirable), but I've played with enough plasma cutters to figure that "that" route of design is....not safe.

Cutting off mate's arm in a pub fight is one thing - that scene in Ep I where Qui Gon uses his sword to melt the blast doors?

Well, I'm pretty sure he was at least doing the "safety squint" as he did so.

Jedi robes must be made out something fancier than canvas and cowhide though.

More
6 years 10 months ago #287245 by MadHatter
Replied by MadHatter on topic Are lightsabers possible?

JamesSand wrote:

Personally, I'm more interested in the possibility of Force lightning than a lightsaber

Taser not close enough?

I've never really looked into whether or not Lightsabres are possible (or even desirable), but I've played with enough plasma cutters to figure that "that" route of design is....not safe.

Cutting off mate's arm in a pub fight is one thing - that scene in Ep I where Qui Gon uses his sword to melt the blast doors?

Well, I'm pretty sure he was at least doing the "safety squint" as he did so.

Jedi robes must be made out something fancier than canvas and cowhide though.

Heck no tasers are not close enough. They are a one hit wonder and if they dont make good contact or miss they are pretty much useless. Plus they dont look half as cool as shooting lightning from your hands

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can

More
6 years 10 months ago #287246 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic Are lightsabers possible?
Tesla coils are a thing, too. Sure, they look prettier than a taser, but are far, far less effective, mostly because if all you have is an electrode that you are hoping to charge strongly enough to ionize the non-conducting air around it, you sort of forfeit your ability to direct a concentrated current to a particular target through a cable that wouldn't swallow all of the energy you put into it. There are good reasons tasers have persevered - they are actually reasonably good at their job. However, if all you are looking for is electronic eye candy, Tesla coils are the way to go. They are also some of the most useless and wastefull toys at our avail, but they have been around for about a century which cannot be said of either lightsabers or dark side powers, for better or worse.^^

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi