Bill Nye is getting a new TV Show!

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago #255106 by
That's right, Bill Nye is going to have his own new TV show. Well...sort of. It'll be a science based talk show on Netflix, set to release in spring 2017.

Here's the article.

I for one am very excited. Another article I read about it said that the lead science writer, other than Nye, will be Phil Plait who runs my favorite science blog, Bad Astronomy.

:woohoo:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago #255109 by
Bill is no scientist; he's an engineer so take his "science" with a grain of salt

More
7 years 7 months ago #255110 by Carlos.Martinez3
Looking forward to it!

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago #255112 by

Rick D wrote: Bill is no scientist; he's an engineer so take his "science" with a grain of salt

Honestly curious what you mean by this. Engineering is grounded in science (and is sometimes called applied science), so he does have a scientific background. Even if it's not a PhD-level research background.

More
7 years 7 months ago #255114 by Proteus
I like Bill Nye, even if he is like the Dr Phil of science media. :P

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
The following user(s) said Thank You: Loudzoo

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago #255116 by
As I said, there's going to be at least one other scientist doing research and writing the science stuff. And a comedian making it funnier, but I didn't recognize the name.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago #255118 by
While he holds several honorary doctorate degrees in the scientific community, his only real education is a mechanical engineering degree from Cornell. The "Bill Nye the Science Guy" moniker came from a reoccurring sketch comedy skit that he did for a local sketch comedy show here in Seattle (I miss Almost Live :( ). He's a funny guy, and can do some cool science parlor tricks, but he is no scientist.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago #255120 by

Rick D wrote: Bill is no scientist; he's an engineer so take his "science" with a grain of salt

Made me think of this.

Congrats Rick, you are now the Sheldon Cooper of this thread. :laugh:

More
7 years 7 months ago #255122 by Edan
I only know Bill Nye exists because of the Big Bang Theory (sorry!).. but I think anything that gets more people interested in Science is a good thing.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zenchi,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago #255125 by

Rick D wrote: While he holds several honorary doctorate degrees in the scientific community, his only real education is a mechanical engineering degree from Cornell. The "Bill Nye the Science Guy" moniker came from a reoccurring sketch comedy skit that he did for a local sketch comedy show here in Seattle (I miss Almost Live :( ). He's a funny guy, and can do some cool science parlor tricks, but he is no scientist.

Can I ask what your definition of a scientist is?

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi