10 years 4 months ago #126958 by
This Week In Science was created by

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 months ago #126966 by
Replied by on topic This Week In Science
Huh. I'm going to look up more on that black hole. Y son and I were just discussing theme arlier. I didn't know they could emit light.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 months ago #126967 by

Desolous wrote: Huh. I'm going to look up more on that black hole. Y son and I were just discussing theme arlier. I didn't know they could emit light.

It's called (assuming this isn't some entirely new object) a quasar.

Matter slowly gets drawn into the black hole and as it does so it gets denser and denser and so heat through friction etc builds up. As this heat builds up the particles become more energetic and so they emit x-rays and light etc...

I believe it is actually also theoretically possible for black holes to emit particles (other than virtual particle-antiparticle pairs) but I would need to read into this again, Stephen Hawking talks about it in A Brief History of Time though that is over 30 years old now...

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 months ago #126968 by
I dont think its common, perhaps something to do with its size?I am going to look more into it as well.

More
10 years 4 months ago #127014 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic This Week In Science
I don't think that it is adequately described as a black hole unless its black :silly:

Seriously though, the immense gravity of a black hole is what makes it black and what attracts light as much as any other mass. If something doesn't have a gravitational well so strong, is it still a black hole by definition or should it be labeled differently? We'll see...

Thanks anyway. These innovations go yet again to show how science keeps making the world a better place one discovery at a time.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Zenchi

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
10 years 4 months ago #127020 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic This Week In Science
The new wild cat struck me first...

I'm going to have to look into that....:)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 months ago #127039 by
Oh, I'd love to see antigravity discovered. Imagine the experiences you will have once able to freely rotate and build coordination systemssss___

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 months ago #127050 by

Gisteron wrote: I don't think that it is adequately described as a black hole unless its black :silly:

Seriously though, the immense gravity of a black hole is what makes it black and what attracts light as much as any other mass. If something doesn't have a gravitational well so strong, is it still a black hole by definition or should it be labeled differently? We'll see..

Haha, your gonna have to talk to those that are discovering and studying it. Apparently there is something that makes them call it a black hole, and something that doesnt make them call it a quasar. I mean, these are people that are smart enough to know what there seeing and not seeing. As well as with the proper technology to see it.

Its all above my paygrade, ill just keep my eyes open in the articles on it.

More
10 years 4 months ago #127065 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic This Week In Science
Is that pic for real? Because I'd heard of all of those except the Brazilian cat before. Perhaps they are newer version.

From memory some people with a particular genetic disease cannot get HIV, the mechanism of the disease stops it, but unfortunately it also kills the person too.

Black holes emit energy from just outside the event horizon (or something called Hawking radiation).

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 months ago #127068 by

Is that pic for real? Because I'd heard of all of those except the Brazilian cat before. Perhaps they are newer version.

No idea, this is just a synopsis of whats going on in the science community in this past week. I imagine they could have used any picture. You have the internet as well as I do, look it up!

From memory some people with a particular genetic disease cannot get HIV, the mechanism of the disease stops it, but unfortunately it also kills the person too.

Yeah, but with being able to manipulate genes, wonders can be made. We can alter the negative effects of said disease and alter the positive effects to make something that isnt fatal. While many will espouse our collective ignorance, or our more negative traits, its important to also realize the wonders we do well, every week in this case, and the things we are discovering about the world around us.

There is alot we dont know, sure, but with a good deal of curiosity, passion,and willingness to
experiment, we dont have to simply accept that.

Though perhaps im simply too optimistic in regards to humanity. However, I think we do learn from our mistakes, albeit slowly in many cases.

Black holes emit energy from just outside the event horizon (or something called Hawking radiation).

Yeah, apparently this is coming from inside, though again, im going to have to follow it for more information.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi